PDA

View Full Version : Possible summer project

bose301s
05-15-2009, 12:07 AM
Well, I would love to build a set of bookshelf speakers just for fun. I think I have the tweeter picked out, looks interesting and Zaph really liked it. It is the SB-Acoustics SB29RDC-C000-4 Ring Dome tweeter (http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_229_324&products_id=8540). It is a new take on the ring radiator from SB. The woofer is up in the air but candidates are the 6" SB mid, the Mach 5 MLI-65, Peerless 6.5", Vifa 6.5", AE 6.5" and the Dayton RS-180. I am leaning to the AE or the SB, but if anyone else has some good suggestions I am all ears.

ngsm13
05-15-2009, 12:45 AM
What you have planned sounds solid.

nG

joetama
05-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Plans?

its_bacon12
05-20-2009, 05:59 PM
There is quite a bit more to designing a bookshelf speaker than you might think, especially with the crossover.

Unless you're prepared to do a LOT of crossover studying and modeling, I'd leave the designing process to the pros and pick out one that's already a good design.

PV Audio
05-20-2009, 07:34 PM
There is quite a bit more to designing a bookshelf speaker than you might think, especially with the crossover.

Unless you're prepared to do a LOT of crossover studying and modeling, I'd leave the designing process to the pros and pick out one that's already a good design.
Crossover design isn't very difficult at all. A basic amount of speaker building experience coupled with some basic electronics background is all you need. Of all the speakers I've built, I've never been displeased with a crossover that I've made (cabinets...that's another story) and I've never used someone else's design. Now, that's obviously subjective, but I don't think anything I've made sounds like garbage, and I say that with as much humility as possible.

ballstothewall
05-20-2009, 11:46 PM
I'd go with a Mach 5 MLI-6.5 coupled with a Fostex FF85k with a first order crossover anywhere from 400-1khz

its_bacon12
05-21-2009, 01:02 AM
PV Audio, I guess you're right. It's all subjective to your goals and your preferences. For me though, I demand just about near perfect sound reproduction, as if I am wherever the event is.

PV Audio
05-21-2009, 04:55 AM
PV Audio, I guess you're right. It's all subjective to your goals and your preferences. For me though, I demand just about near perfect sound reproduction, as if I am wherever the event is.
I don't, and for one simple reason: it's impossible, and no manufacturer tries to. Each loudspeaker that sounds good sounds good for a reason, and it having good objective sound quality is only part of it. Put a fine set of Martin Logans next to a fine set of B&Ws. Both sound absolutely fantastic, but both sound absolutely different. It's about your preference in sound, how the drivers blend and what sort of sound stage they make. A B3S or W3-871S full range setup sounds crisp, clear and transparent, yes, but even still can't even compare to a large 3-way setup that makes you feel like you're right next to the band. I design speakers around what I like to listen to and what most people like to listen to, and from there, get them as close to the theoretical max as possible, not the other way around :)

This is all assuming I have some knowledge of what I'm doing, which is true, but nowhere nearly enough to begin preaching on the topic, so don't take it that way.

PV Audio
05-21-2009, 05:06 AM
I'd go with a Mach 5 MLI-6.5 coupled with a Fostex FF85k with a first order crossover anywhere from 400-1khz
If I may offer dos pesos, here's what I would do with your drivers instead. I'd run the Fostex with just a notch filter and throw in a Hi-Vi D or F series 5" woofer for the low end with a low pass (inductor). Reason being, you probably won't be able to blend that MLI very well with the Fostex if you're using it with a high pass filter. Instead, I'd just get something to clean up the top end, and since you're going to run out of oomph anyway, just let it naturally rolloff since it's pretty smooth down low. The F and D series are noted for their outstanding bass performance and from personal experience, can blend in as woofers to just about anything from the B3 series, the TB 871S series and the Aura NS3.

its_bacon12
05-21-2009, 10:48 AM
I don't, and for one simple reason: it's impossible, and no manufacturer tries to. Each loudspeaker that sounds good sounds good for a reason, and it having good objective sound quality is only part of it. Put a fine set of Martin Logans next to a fine set of B&Ws. Both sound absolutely fantastic, but both sound absolutely different. It's about your preference in sound, how the drivers blend and what sort of sound stage they make. A B3S or W3-871S full range setup sounds crisp, clear and transparent, yes, but even still can't even compare to a large 3-way setup that makes you feel like you're right next to the band. I design speakers around what I like to listen to and what most people like to listen to, and from there, get them as close to the theoretical max as possible, not the other way around :)

This is all assuming I have some knowledge of what I'm doing, which is true, but nowhere nearly enough to begin preaching on the topic, so don't take it that way.

I don't buy prefab. I'm a DIY guy and htguide.com offers a TON of free, great designs courteous of some awesome people.

As far as basic crossovers, you can do some simple 2nd order 2 way design without a great deal of complication, but when you look at what you CAN do with a crossover, it makes you want to NOT make them so simple.

PV Audio
05-21-2009, 03:14 PM
True, but a good crossover with high quality caps and foil inductors in high order slopes with all types of equalization and padding circuits can easily cost as much or more than the drivers themselves. It isn't always feasible to go balls out on the filter. My approach is like buying nice summer tires for your car. They give great dry traction and some good wet traction. You're going for the R-compound semi-slicks :laugh:

bose301s
06-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Ok, I think I am going to eschew all of the choices I have posted up so far and go with the SEAS Prestige CA18RNX (http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_228_256&products_id=823). I may have Madisound do the design for me, but if anyone has advice it is greatly appreciated.