PDA

View Full Version : Newb enclosure questions.

89tben
05-11-2009, 09:50 PM
ok guys. i finally got my mdf cut for my box. i was wondering what you guys use to seal the box. and what the best way to cut out the hole for the sub is?

any input is very much appreciated. and if you need any more info just ask.

thanks
ben

Varinabassing
05-11-2009, 09:52 PM
I know when i did my box i used wood glue between each board which helps seal and then i exactly use calk like from home depot Works for me Never get any leaks lol Maybe these guys that build professionally can give you more advice than that

bustaplz
05-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Glue together with wood glue, screws to get good pressure on the joints. Seal with silicone adhesive sealant. Most people use a Jigsaw to cut the holes, if you have a plunge router you can pick up a Jasper circle cutting jig from Parts Express.

89tben
05-11-2009, 11:21 PM
Glue together with wood glue, screws to get good pressure on the joints. Seal with silicone adhesive sealant. Most people use a Jigsaw to cut the holes, if you have a plunge router you can pick up a Jasper circle cutting jig from Parts Express.

ok thats kinda what i figured. but i wanted to make sure as this will be my first REAL box build. i want to make sure its sealed up tight. any particular type of silicone adhesive sealant work better than another? and yea i dont have a plunger router, but im gonna see if a friend has one.

BassMechkanic
05-12-2009, 09:46 AM
any good sealant will work, believe it or not mdf is not air tight, you can use a shop vac and **** air thru a piece of 3/4 or even 2 stacked up, I like to give the inside of the box a coat of fiberglass resin, that makes it pretty air tight.

89tben
05-12-2009, 07:12 PM
any good sealant will work, believe it or not mdf is not air tight, you can use a shop vac and **** air thru a piece of 3/4 or even 2 stacked up, I like to give the inside of the box a coat of fiberglass resin, that makes it pretty air tight.

hmmmm. interesting. is it that bad or is this just somethin extra u do?