PDA

View Full Version : Viper 5901 Remote Star in 05 Ford Focus

jcbunker
05-11-2009, 08:51 PM
I was hoping maybe someone on here that installs remote starts/alarms could help me out with an issue.

I am planning on having the new Viper 5901 with remote start installed in a 2005 Ford Focus ZX3 manual trans. at a local shop in the next couple of weeks.

The lady (who is the owner of Car-feteria in Milwaukee)was looking over Directed's technicians wiring and info website at the specific of my car (2005 ZX3 Manual). It said that the Focus had 30 amps coming into the car. She said that 30 amps is probably not enough for the remote start so they would have to go to the battery for power. Something like it takes more than 30 amp to start the car. Now I have heard this on 2 separate quotes from 2 different places. Is this true that a 10 guage power needs to be run from the battery? I can't seem to get a clear answering or find anything in any searches I do.

Also do these prices seem fair?

Viper 5901 installed $500.00
XK04 Bypass $60.00
Manual Trans. Programming $75.00
If need to run new power $50.00

I would run the new power just to save money because I can easily do that, but am not sure if its needed and thought I would ask someone who might have experience with this before.

Thanks in advance,

mcsoul
05-11-2009, 08:54 PM
It's a little high, but if they are a really good shop it may be worth it.

Cudda_Kine
05-11-2009, 08:59 PM
That's how much our audio shop charges for the alarm installed. Seems Ok.

Fiercetimbo17
05-11-2009, 09:01 PM
The manual programming will only take them 5 seconds, tell them take that off and its a good deal.

mcsoul
05-11-2009, 09:02 PM
10g for over 30a sounds about right. Your better off letting them do everything.
Well done remote start installs are not cheap (manual makes it worse iirc).

jcbunker
05-11-2009, 09:05 PM
I would let them do everything except installed the wiring from the battery to the inside of the car if new power would need to be ran. So 30 amps coming into the car from the factory is not enough for the remote start?

Worlddre
05-11-2009, 09:18 PM
if the key can start the car with 30 amps of current so can a remote start :fyi: thats asinine if you have 30a at the key cylinder and the key doesnt need more current then why would a RS not too mention that is more then enough to take care of security features as well they may actually believe they are doing the right thing in which case they are wrong or they may just be trying to upsell you in which case they are d-bags not to mention that is the worst shop name ive ever heard of

jcbunker
05-11-2009, 09:23 PM
if the key can start the car with 30 amps of current so can a remote start :fyi: thats asinine if you have 30a at the key cylinder and the key doesnt need more current then why would a RS not too mention that is more then enough to take care of security features as well they may actually believe they are doing the right thing in which case they are wrong or they may just be trying to upsell you in which case they are d-bags not to mention that is the worst shop name ive ever heard of

Yea I'm new to the whole security system thing so I thought I would get a second opinion from people more knowledgeable than myself. I have heard the possibility for needing the new power from 2 different shops thats why I was unsure.

As far as the name it is a little cheesy, but they have been around for 42 years down here, and have heard they have a good reputation. Their expertise is installing Viper systems, so hopefully it works out.

Proximity
05-11-2009, 11:14 PM
$75 for the manual remote start is absolute larceny. The 5901 comes factory programmed for manual remote start, it's the default option and the wiring is no different.

jcbunker
05-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Aside from the manual trans. programming, what about the power needing to be run from the battery? Is that reasonable or probable or is it not needed?

THUNDERBIRD
05-11-2009, 11:50 PM
my shop would charge $350 to install that unit plus, bypass cost. we wont touch a rs on a manual. and tell them to wire that to a 12v in the car. it they use as many negative triggers as they can the unit wont see much draw, i have personally seen a basic keyless wired all negative triggers powered off of a 18gauge 12v source, because they dont draw ****. we did redo it to a heavier gauge that was just to get the point across

Proximity
05-12-2009, 12:04 AM
Won't be needed.

jcbunker
05-12-2009, 12:27 AM
Thanks everyone, I am gonna bring up the issue about the new power when I call them tomorrow. If anything, I'll tell them to hook it up without the wire, but if a new power is necessary after its installed then they can ask me. As far as the $75 for programming, I'm not sure what to ask because they are still cheaper than any of the other shops in town and have been more helpful than any of the others.

Plus I have a certificate for 10% off my next purchase so I will almost recover most of that $75.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate it!

Proximity
05-12-2009, 12:58 AM
Tell them that there isn't any programming that needs to be done at all. You're paying for nothing.

Proximity
05-12-2009, 01:04 AM
If they say otherwise, tell them to show you what they mean. There is NOTHING that needs to be programmed (just one option, but the default is manual mode), and the only thing extra is to make one little splice to the clutch wire. You can do that yourself.

jcbunker
05-12-2009, 01:18 AM
Alright, thanks everyone! I didn't get the whole transmission thing from the beginning because even if there was one, I can't imagine it being $75 worth of labor. Maybe she was thinking they still had to use the 689M module or something. They were really busy that day so I'll give them the benefit of doubt the doubt until I talk to them again.

Worlddre
05-12-2009, 11:45 AM
75 is likely for clutch bypass instead of programming btw

jcbunker
05-12-2009, 12:40 PM
75 is likely for clutch bypass instead of programming btw
Thats what I was thinking they might have been talking about. If I am correct the 5901 doesn't need anything extra for a manual transmission? From my understanding it comes already programmed and there is no need for any extra modules for the manual transmission in the 5901

Worlddre
05-12-2009, 03:47 PM
no modules but maybe a relay and some labor for the clutch bypass

jcbunker
05-12-2009, 04:12 PM
no modules but maybe a relay and some labor for the clutch bypass

Alright, I think I'm just gonna let them do the install. I know they do alot of them and I also just called. She said there is a little extra involved and they just did a car like mine a month or so ago, so I know they have done them before. They are supposed to be one of the better shops around and they still come out cheaper than any other place around here. From my experience the prices are always a little higher around Wisconsin it seem compared to other places. Some places I called were closer to $800 for this system installed. They also do all soldering compared to some other places that said they used crimp connections. I will post back after I get installed and share my experience with them.

jcbunker
05-24-2009, 10:26 PM
So I got it the Viper installed. The installer did a great job and hid everything nice and tight and soldered all the connections. It ended up costing me $585 for everything installed which is alot less than first quoted. They quoted those things just to be on the safe side.

He was still working on it 2 hrs. after they closed on Friday so I wanted to get out and so did they so I didn't have much time to spend with them after it was installed.

There is one issue I have had and havent been able to call because they are closed for the weekend, and I thought maybe someone on here could answer.

After I set the car and prepare the manual trans for remote start, I get out and arm and the car shuts down as it should. About 10-15 mins later the alarm goes off for no reason and it says shock sensor. Why would this be? It only happens in remote start mode.

Any suggestions to why that is?

jcbunker
06-02-2009, 09:11 PM
bump

mendon99
06-03-2009, 12:45 AM
Im thinking it has something to do with a computer that shuts down (roughly 10 mins after you lock the car).. like something feeds back through a particular line.. All they would have to do is find the wire and add a diode or relay. That or the brain is bad, which is entirely possible.. seems very odd that it only happens when you set it up in manual mode. Id just take it back to the shop, its def not a programming setting if thats what you're thinking.

jcbunker
06-03-2009, 12:55 AM
Im thinking it has something to do with a computer that shuts down (roughly 10 mins after you lock the car).. like something feeds back through a particular line.. All they would have to do is find the wire and add a diode or relay. That or the brain is bad, which is entirely possible.. seems very odd that it only happens when you set it up in manual mode. Id just take it back to the shop, its def not a programming setting if thats what you're thinking.
Well it now has been happening in regular arming too. Probably I didnt realize because I was normally arming in r/s mode. I was thinking it might be feedback like you said or maybe a dead brain.

I was just trying to diagnose before I would have to take it in because the shop is 1.5 hrs. away and I don't move back down to where the shop is for another 2 months, so I would have to take an extra trip.

mendon99
06-03-2009, 12:59 AM
that ***** its that far away, but id highly suggest taking it back, you're in for a headache if you try to diagnose the problem yourself, not to mention if you go in there and play around you very well may lose your labor warranty. Also, if its a dead brain, theres nothing you'll be able to fix cept buying a new one, but they could just replace it on site.

jcbunker
06-03-2009, 01:09 AM
that ***** its that far away, but id highly suggest taking it back, you're in for a headache if you try to diagnose the problem yourself, not to mention if you go in there and play around you very well may lose your labor warranty. Also, if its a dead brain, theres nothing you'll be able to fix cept buying a new one, but they could just replace it on site.

Oh no, I would never mess with something myself on it. I was just trying to determine a possible cause and whether its user related at all (but I have read the whole manual and really wouldnt be able to cause this anyways). I'll probably take it down one of these weekends.

#1 reason I bought from a dealer and installed was because of the warranty with possible issues like this.

mendon99
06-03-2009, 01:18 AM
exactly. Im beginning to think its a brain issue, as the shock sensor on these units are built in (they aren't a separate piece). It comes back to the remote as a shock alarm, and there really isnt any wire hooked up to any sensor because again it is built in. Ive seen funky issues with these brains as well.