PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Help for HU

Rockin Randall
05-09-2009, 10:47 AM
I recently put in my Honda Odyssey a Eclipse 1200 with Eclipse $180 speakers and I am fairly happy. I spent extra 200 to put in bluetooth(Alpine unit which works good) and now with my Maxima I want to put in a hu based on the following criteria

1- Sound. I tend to like flat response(one part of the soundwave messed with to create a short term illusion of great sound would be the opposite of this)

2- I want IPOD control. The 1200 is ok but with one line of text and an average display and mediocre buttons and no remote it could be better

3-Sirius Sportster. I have this instead of the factory unit inside for a few reasons. First i don't want to pay two subscriptions and I can take this back and forth between my 2 cars. Second I like that I can pause as I drive a lot and get business calls and like to be able to stop and start like a tivo. However the sound isn't as great as my IPOD on my 1200 and i have been told that part of the reason is the 1200 doesn't have a digital converter so I would like a unit that has a 24 bit converter IF it will help my sound on IPOD and Sportster Sirius

4-Bluetooth. I could always pay to add it like i did with HOnda but it would be nice if it was included. But if the included bluetooth wont sound better than the Alpine i have in my Honda then I would just as soon pay seperate as what good is it if it doesn't sound good and clear

5- Of course once i figure things out the best price would be nice.

The units I am looking at are as follows

Alpine 9886.9887/ID105
Kenwood Excelon 993(not much feedback on this one at Crutchfield or anywhere else)
Eclipse new 5030

Also open to other suggestions.

Detailed responses to help a newbie who has done a good bit of homework would be appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance.

michaellane
05-09-2009, 10:48 AM
i love eclipse so id do that one.

Rockin Randall
05-09-2009, 10:49 AM
BTW on the eclipse 5030 their site says no advanced 24 bit dac but crutchfield new catalog says it has a 24 bit converter. More info on how this works would be appreciated

Also if it helps you to understand how i like to listen to sound I have B&W speakers with conrad johnson amp in my house. Would be considered very neutral but clear sound

Rockin Randall
05-09-2009, 10:50 AM
i love eclipse so id do that one.

I like the sound of my eclipse but I have so much more to consider as you can see

SicAudio
05-09-2009, 10:54 AM
eclipse or Pioneer Premier new alpines transport mechanism hates lots of bass and they haven't made a real deck since the 981x series IMO. at least not for the build quality and what they cost. the 9886/9887 has some cool features but the quality is less than what they were 5 yrs ago.

Rockin Randall
05-09-2009, 10:56 AM
eclipse or Pioneer Premier new alpines transport mechanism hates lots of bass and they haven't made a real deck since the 981x series IMO. at least not for the build quality and what they cost. the 9886/9887 has some cool features but the quality is less than what they were 5 yrs ago.

Do you sell the Eclipse? I didn't think the pioneer sound was very good when i tested for the 1200 eclipse i bought.

Any thoughts on my other points?

nineball
05-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Kenwood Excelon 993(not much feedback on this one at Crutchfield or anywhere else)

search is your friend.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=403585

forbidden
05-09-2009, 03:36 PM
The Eclipse CD1200 was not made by Eclipse, it was a JVC in disguise. Go to the new Eclipse CD5030, it will easily outdistance itself from the other units you are considering.

Rockin Randall
05-09-2009, 04:29 PM
doh. I wish my dealer had told me that. I was too impatient in the one car I should have waited