PDA

View Full Version : sub newbs ?'s, i stink at searching

1lows10
05-08-2009, 03:10 PM
first off I just wanna say wow. they are some very knowledgable people here. and Most of you have alot of cash invested into your systems. I'm an old man and cant hear so well anymore so SQ isn't high on my priorty list. In the past when I would build a box if the mesurements were close I was happy with that. After reading so many threads on box design I am now more lost than anything.

Anyway first remeber that This is a cheap system, but even though it's cheap I still want it to last
The Truck in question is a xtra cab s10.
fisrt I am using Rockford Fosgate P1S412. 4 of them I will post the specs on them at the end of the thread. and I'm using a kicker kicker sx900.2. I will be runing both channels at 2 ohms. (subs are 4 ohms)

I am building the box while waiting for my fiberglass pods to dry for the front seprates. My design now gives me 2.15 cubic feet per sub. I want to run a ported box. I was just going to use a 3"x6" port for each sub. But after reading that port lenght and size tunes the box, and if the box is to big it can hurt the subs IDK what to do. any link that will help me determine ports would be great.

second, How do you figure out how much air space the subs will take up?

thrid concerns gain. How do you set gain so the subs dont "clip". I read the article about gain and I got lost half way through it.

would it be best to get everything installed and take it to the local sterio shop and have them set it up? Will most shops do this? the local shop here (there's only 1) has "master" installers with MECP cert. but is that a good school? While I have less than $2,000 into my little system (i know some of you have amps that are that much WOWZERS) I would like it to last a long time. I dont want to take it to the shop and have it be set up wrong. would it be better to goto a big town where there are more shops and maybe have them set it up?

I Thank you for reading this and any help/ guidence will be greatly appericated.
Thanks,
Mike

Size 12 -inch
Impedance 4 ohms
Cone Material Polypropylene
Surround Material Poly-Foam
Sealed Box Volume (cubic feet) 0.7 - 1.8
Ported Box Volume (cubic feet) 1.79
Port diameter (inches) 3
Port length (inches) 8
Free-Air No
Dual Voice Coil No
Sensitivity 86 dB at 1 volt

Frequency Response 26 - 250 Hz
RMS Power Range (Watts) 50-150
Peak Power Handling (Watts) 300
Top Mount Depth (inches) 5 1/2
Bottom Mount Depth (inches) N/A
Cutout Diameter or Length (inches) 11 1/16
Vas (liters) 110
Fs (Hz) 26
Qts 0.53
Xmax (millimeters) 7.75

1lows10
05-08-2009, 03:40 PM
also here's a basic design of the box using paint. laugh all you want I was born to late for all the fancy internet stuff. Just posting the picts was amazing for me. any way does port position affect sound to?
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/3953/subbox.th.png (http://img11.imageshack.us/my.php?image=subbox.png)

Fuknmovin
05-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Go to RE audio's site, they have a box design program that really works well for mos applications, also "the12volt.com" is a great reference to start with as well, lots of good explanation...hope that helps!

DNick454
05-10-2009, 11:54 PM
Go to RE audio's site, they have a box design program that really works well for mos applications, also "the12volt.com" is a great reference to start with as well, lots of good explanation...hope that helps!

Judging by his MS paint sketch, RE's box calc won't work as it does only rectangular shaped boxes. the12volt.com is good but that calculator does NOT account for the volume taken up by the port so there is alot of number crunching and dimension tweaking to be done all by hand.