PDA

View Full Version : need some advice on a sub enclosure

tigerf117
05-06-2009, 06:23 PM
I've got a pair of 10s and i'm building an enclosure.

the clearance under the rear deck is only about 10 inches, and goes back about six inches. Obviously the face needs to be about 14 inches for the subs to fit.

My question is, How would sound quality be affected, by building the back six inches of the box 4 inches shorter?

crude diagram as shown

cj407
05-06-2009, 06:26 PM
it wouldnt...just like building a truck box over the transmission hump in the cab.....

pickup1
05-06-2009, 06:28 PM
it wouldnt...just like building a truck box over the transmission hump in the cab.....

X2^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Trey803
05-06-2009, 06:29 PM
calculate the volume difference and then find the percentage of difference. With a small box such as this one the percentage of the difference may be too high for the subs to perform well. Not giving subs enough room will rob your subs performance and the result will not be good. Poly-fill could also be used but I am not a fan and would not know how to calculate how much you would need to make up for the difference.

iamamp3pimp
05-06-2009, 06:31 PM
not enough to notice.

:)

-Robin

iamamp3pimp
05-06-2009, 06:31 PM
not enough to notice.

:)

-Robin

cj407
05-06-2009, 06:34 PM
calculate the volume difference and then find the percentage of difference. With a small box such as this one the percentage of the difference may be too high for the subs to perform well. Not giving subs enough room will rob your subs performance and the result will not be good. Poly-fill could also be used but I am not a fan and would not know how to calculate how much you would need to make up for the difference.

wow reading op's original post could've save you 5 minutes in response time....he said building the back 6" of the box 4" shorter...nothing about not giving the subs proper airspace...

tigerf117
05-06-2009, 06:54 PM
haha, Tell'em CJ. Trey seems retarded, he doesn't seem to have reading skills, and he cant even read a picture book... (simple diagram was included)

Thanks everyone else who read and actually thought about it.

(Chrysler *****) Seabring trunks are not good for enclosures. but what can you say about a free car you know?

cj407
05-06-2009, 06:56 PM
now if you wanted to do a ported box it would be great...just run the 4" aero ports up thru the rear deck...and face the subs to the back of the trunk...

tigerf117
05-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Aren't pre-fab ports like those made for a certain cubic feet? I planned on just making the ports on the face using the mdf internally.

iamamp3pimp
05-06-2009, 07:01 PM
haha, Tell'em CJ. Trey seems retarded, he doesn't seem to have reading skills, and he cant even read a picture book... (simple diagram was included)

Thanks everyone else who read and actually thought about it.

(Chrysler *****) Seabring trunks are not good for enclosures. but what can you say about a free car you know?

Trey is actually well informed, but im not sure what he meant by that post.

we all make mistakes from time to time, so cut him some slack.

iamamp3pimp
05-06-2009, 07:02 PM
now if you wanted to do a ported box it would be great...just run the 4" aero ports up thru the rear deck...and face the subs to the back of the trunk...

because snorkel tubes facing the driver are **** ****.

if you are a man that likes men.

is your box gonna be ported or sealed?

CJ - when/if i get my car fixed you still gonna paint it for me?

cj407
05-06-2009, 07:03 PM
yea i've been waitin on that flappy thing to come up.....

iamamp3pimp
05-06-2009, 07:08 PM
come up where?

Trey803
05-06-2009, 07:09 PM
I was not aware you were referring to the shape of the box. I was under the assumption that you were going to be removing internal volume from the box in which case what I said stands true.

cj407
05-06-2009, 07:10 PM
well we could do it in Naples (which is down for you)...or we could do it in Orlando (which is up for you) what color were you wanting to paint it?

iamamp3pimp
05-06-2009, 07:21 PM
idk, what do you think would look good?

cj407
05-06-2009, 07:59 PM
well if you are changing the color....we are going to have to obviously charge more as we'd take everything out of the engine bay and spray it along with the door jams and trunk....now if you wanted to stay with stock color or something similar or do a 2 color car we could do that also...like your interior would be orange and black...wit the outside of the car being black...up to you on how much you wanna spend.

cj407
05-06-2009, 07:59 PM
thread jack....

iamamp3pimp
05-06-2009, 10:20 PM
whats a "2 color car"

you mean 2 tone?

what if i wanted to go all black?

what has to come out of the engine bay?

SicAudio
05-06-2009, 10:37 PM

1 lb of poly for every 1 cubic foot of box space for a "simulated" 20% box volume increase. there is a calculator somewhere here just search - polyfill.