PDA

View Full Version : How would this work??

Fuknmovin
05-04-2009, 10:16 PM
I am getting ready to build a new box, 6th order Bandpass design, nd I need to use 1" MDF, BUT I can't get that locally, would it be ok to use 2 sheets of 1/2" and glue them together before I cut them? I have heard of this being done but I don't want to skimp on this project, I can custom order the 1" MDF @ lowes but it takes a while and I don't want to wait!

Lemme know if its OK to do it....Thanks!

rocky 59
05-04-2009, 10:20 PM
I dont see why gluing them would be a problem. if it makes you feel better throw some mdf dust on the glue and BAM 1'' mdf :laugh:

Cloak559
05-04-2009, 10:21 PM
Technically you could use two 1/2" sheets. But the cons outweigh the pros on that one, I would special order the 1". Using two 1/2" sheets you are going to waste a glorious amount of glue. have to make twice as many cuts, and unless you roll the glue out even you risk having dead spots that may cause slap issues...You dont have a lumbar yard within a reasonable distance of you that carries 1" MDF?

fbi90909
05-04-2009, 10:21 PM
just be sure to use planty of glue and clamp the 2 boards together.

Fuknmovin
05-04-2009, 11:25 PM
Technically you could use two 1/2" sheets. But the cons outweigh the pros on that one, I would special order the 1". Using two 1/2" sheets you are going to waste a glorious amount of glue. have to make twice as many cuts, and unless you roll the glue out even you risk having dead spots that may cause slap issues...You dont have a lumbar yard within a reasonable distance of you that carries 1" MDF?

Not that I can find yet...

Fuknmovin
05-04-2009, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I think I will try to order it and see how long tomorrow...