PDA

View Full Version : **** midbass, but is it good?

thegreatestpenn
05-04-2009, 01:31 AM
I love the look of this tangband midbass driver, but is it any good? Anyone use these by chance??? They are sold on Partsexpress and I'm thinking of picking some up in case I ever go active. model number is w6-1721

http://www.parts-express.com/images/item_large/264-874_L.jpg

SicAudio
05-04-2009, 01:46 AM
i have never heard them personally but every tb speaker I have heard has been extremely good. (mostly in HT applications) but a friend had me install some dif 1's in a boat that were fking awesome!

IDSkoT
05-04-2009, 01:47 AM
source: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-874&FTR=w6-1721&CFID=5753966&CFTOKEN=17893174

The W6-1721 6" midbass features a long throw, underhung 1-1/2" voice coil driven by a massive 50 oz. ferrite magnet. A shorting ring on the polepiece is responsible for the speaker's extremely low levels of second and third order harmonic distortion. This impressive motor is coupled to an optimized paper cone with rubber surround, supported by a cast aluminum frame. The driver's naturally high and smooth upper frequency rolloff facilitates simplified crossover designs. Specifications: Power handling: 50 watts RMS/100 watts max *VCdia: 1-1/2" *Impedance: 4 ohms *Re: 3.4 ohms *Frequency range: 40-5,000 Hz *Fs: 40 Hz *SPL: 88 dB 1W/1m *Vas: 1.04 cu. ft. *Qms: 3.58 *Qes: .49 *Qts: .43 *Xmax: 8 mm *Dimensions: A: 6.95", B: 5.8", C: 4.3".

Thank me later.

SicAudio
05-04-2009, 01:51 AM
source: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-874&FTR=w6-1721&CFID=5753966&CFTOKEN=17893174

Thank me later.

he knows all that *******, he already said from P-E troll!

thegreatestpenn
05-04-2009, 01:52 AM

Thank me later.

i know where to find info on it from PE as i stated in the OP, i want to know if anyone has used them personally and if they like them.

Louisiana_CRX
05-04-2009, 01:54 AM
how much are they?

thegreatestpenn
05-04-2009, 01:56 AM
like 87 each, 77 for 4 or more

SicAudio
05-04-2009, 01:59 AM
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-832
IIRC these are the ones my friend used in his bayliner and they are IB and sounded awesome.

SicAudio
05-04-2009, 02:00 AM
and with their liberal return policy you could try em and if you didn't like em just send em back.

IDSkoT
05-04-2009, 02:01 AM
he knows all that *******, he already said from P-E troll!

Wow. I was posting it so other people wouldn't have to go to PE and see what the stats were. Just looking at a picture and saying it's good isn't justified enough. GTFO, you know nothing about audio.

And BTW: the term is "troller." And I'm not trolling. I was helping, you dolt.

basebalz13
05-04-2009, 02:01 AM

Thank me later.

jeez i hate this kid...

basebalz13
05-04-2009, 02:02 AM
Wow. I was posting it so other people wouldn't have to go to PE and see what the stats were. Just looking at a picture and saying it's good isn't justified enough. GTFO, you know nothing about audio.

if they cant look at the picture and realize they have used one before then that person fails...

u kno nothing about audio

Louisiana_CRX
05-04-2009, 02:06 AM

I'm glad you did...I had too many windows open and didn't feel like opening another :)

IDSkoT
05-04-2009, 02:08 AM
if they cant look at the picture and realize they have used one before then that person fails...

u kno nothing about audio

The probability of me knowing more than you is high.

I was posting the specifications of it, so if someone hasn't used them, they can look at the small list of T/S (Thiele Small) parameters, and figure out from there if they have a decent response.

OH! You probably have no idea about that, though. Do you?

I'm glad you did...I had too many windows open and didn't feel like opening another :)

You're welcome.

BTW Penn: They seem to be pretty decent drivers. I personally wouldn't spend more than $60. But that's on you. Try them out, see if you like them.

Cravingbass123
05-04-2009, 02:09 AM
lulz an innocent thread about to turn into a clusterfuhhk

basebalz13
05-04-2009, 02:10 AM

I was posting the specifications of it, so if someone hasn't used them, they can look at the small list of T/S (Thiele Small) parameters, and figure out from there if they have a decent response.

You're welcome.

BTW Penn: They seem to be pretty decent drivers. I personally wouldn't spend more than $60. But that's on you. Try them out, see if you like them.

lol... ur such and idoit

thegreatestpenn
05-04-2009, 02:11 AM
another thread fuxed. at least the glitch will kick in soon to stop the bickering

IDSkoT
05-04-2009, 02:13 AM
lol... ur such and idoit

All you've said is how I'm so dumb, and how I'm a troll... except you've contributed NOTHING, or even posed a sufficient rebuttal.

I'm going to continue something that's way over your head.

basebalz13
05-04-2009, 02:13 AM
what exactly would u be using them for?

just add more mid bass? in a passive or active setup? 2 way or 3 way

thegreatestpenn
05-04-2009, 02:14 AM
most likely active.

basebalz13
05-04-2009, 02:16 AM
for the money its actually a nice driver, they are decently efficent, but i would be careful settin your crossover set points, they dont like the lowsss to much :)

basebalz13
05-04-2009, 02:17 AM
but are nice higher end mid bass drivers

basebalz13
05-04-2009, 02:19 AM
All you've said is how I'm so dumb, and how I'm a troll... except you've contributed NOTHING, or even posed a sufficient rebuttal.

I'm going to continue something that's way over your head.

if only you knew... rofl

btw i never said u was a troll :confused:FYI:confused:

you like using big words huh

IDSkoT
05-04-2009, 02:19 AM
Penn, if you do get them, do a review about them. I'm interested. I might snag a pair for a build if they're good.

Cravingbass123
05-04-2009, 02:21 AM
for the money its actually a nice driver, they are decently efficent, but i would be careful settin your crossover set points, they dont like the lowsss to much :)

u have nooooooooooooooooo clue what you're talking about

i know two people running these as woofers in 3 way settings, and they absolutely hammer lows at a highpass of 63 hz

IDSkoT
05-04-2009, 02:34 AM
if only you knew... rofl

btw i never said u was a troll :confused:FYI:confused:

you like using big words huh

lawlz. Those aren't big words. At all. They're actually average sized words. Just because they aren't in your vocabulary doesn't mean they are "big words." (P.S. You sound really dumb when you say that.)

jmanpc
05-04-2009, 02:59 AM
Would y'all shut the **** up?

Anyhow, I don't have experience with those midbasses, but I did use some Tang Band 6x9 subs for a while and they were killer. I wouldn't expect anything less than an awesome product from them.

dave_damage
05-04-2009, 03:00 AM

I really don't like this guy.

IDSkoT
05-04-2009, 03:04 AM
Would y'all shut the **** up?

Anyhow, I don't have experience with those midbasses, but I did use some Tang Band 6x9 subs for a while and they were killer. I wouldn't expect anything less than an awesome product from them.

I'm using TB full range and a TB sub, and they're amazing. TB company makes good quality budget drivers.

basebalz13
05-04-2009, 03:09 AM
u have nooooooooooooooooo clue what you're talking about

i know two people running these as woofers in 3 way settings, and they absolutely hammer lows at a highpass of 63 hz

wow really? sorry i was just going off what i was told about them...

btw his high pass is set at 63 for these? what mid range is he using?!?!?!?

basebalz13
05-04-2009, 03:10 AM

joing the boat... i cant remember how many times ive pwned him

IDSkoT
05-04-2009, 03:10 AM
wow really? sorry i was just going off what i was told about them...

btw his high pass is set at 63 for these? what mid range is he using?!?!?!?

It's probably 63 ~ 200-250, then mid-highs.

SicAudio
05-04-2009, 03:13 AM

google and a part number takes you straight to P-E as the first result and if no one has experience with them (like the OP asked specifically for) then it doesnt matter noob!

jeez i hate this kid...

seems like everywhere i go people don't like you much?

as well they should pound down low according to the review on the PE site he said they go to 40hz flat. and the ones we did in my buddies boat like I said were fking awesome.

basebalz13
05-04-2009, 03:13 AM
lawlz. Those aren't big words. At all. They're actually average sized words. Just because they aren't in your vocabulary doesn't mean they are "big words." (P.S. You sound really dumb when you say that.)

dude really you are nothing but a spec on this site, go out there actually get accomplishments, win a couple state titles and world title's, get fully sponsored for your SQ setup then come back and talk to me

basebalz13
05-04-2009, 03:16 AM

he said his high pass filter was set to 63hz...

basebalz13
05-04-2009, 03:16 AM
wow this sweet tart and yager bomb taste pretty fkin good btw :D

IDSkoT
05-04-2009, 03:19 AM
google and a part number takes you straight to P-E as the first result and if no one has experience with them (like the OP asked specifically for) then it doesnt matter noob!

seems like everywhere i go people don't like you much?

as well they should pound down low according to the review on the PE site he said they go to 40hz flat. and the ones we did in my buddies boat like I said were fking awesome.

So, you're saying an opinion based off of T/S parameters is useless, correct?

And, it's a good thing that success, intelligence, and general happiness is not gauged on how much a bunch of kids on the internet think about you.

dude really you are nothing but a spec on this site, go out there actually get accomplishments, win a couple state titles and world title's, get fully sponsored for your SQ setup then come back and talk to me

I don't plan to. At all. It's a hobby for me, and as far as I see it, winning trophies is pointless. Except for bragging rights. Not to take away from any of the competitors. But, it does nothing for me.
But, tell me: what awards have you won?

GAM3OVR
05-04-2009, 03:21 AM
You guys are like little children. Stick an icecream cone in each other's asses for once and call it quits.

IDSkoT
05-04-2009, 03:23 AM
You guys are like little children. Stick an icecream cone in each other's asses for once and call it quits.

Wanna join, baby?

basebalz13
05-04-2009, 03:24 AM

And, it's a good thing that success, intelligence, and general happiness is not gauged on how much a bunch of kids on the internet think about you.

I don't plan to. At all. It's a hobby for me, and as far as I see it, winning trophies is pointless. Except for bragging rights. Not to take away from any of the competitors. But, it does nothing for me.

he asked if anyone has used these before, judging by his posts ive seen in the past from the greatestpenn i think he understands the T/S specs. so unless u think he's dumb and cant understand them then what was the point of post the specs in the thread? he wants to know of personal experince

and its a hobby for me too.. i jus happen to get paid for my hobby. and what awards have i won none :eek: haha i dont feel like listing everything

basebalz13
05-04-2009, 03:25 AM
Wanna join, baby?

btw can you design and build me a SLOT port box pleeeease :)

IDSkoT
05-04-2009, 03:26 AM
I'm sure.

SicAudio
05-04-2009, 03:35 AM

at 18 you haven't had success at all yet kiddo. your not old enough to be truly intelligent yet. and true happiness takes a lifetime of being truly happy to achieve. at 18 you think like the rest and just know it all :)

I read this as can't! lolz

and wow at 18 you sure have an awful lot of equiptment in you bicycle err car. every post i see of you recommending something that you obviously have never owned, you say your currently using it. I really need to see pics of your massive equiptment kiddo ;)

GAM3OVR
05-04-2009, 03:38 AM
Wanna join, baby?

Only if you have mint choclate :p:

basebalz13
05-04-2009, 03:39 AM

and wow at 18 you sure have an awful lot of equiptment in you bicycle err car. every post i see of you recommending something that you obviously have never owned, you say your currently using it. I really need to see pics of your massive equiptment kiddo ;)

lawl x2

basebalz13
05-04-2009, 03:40 AM
I'm sure.

pleeease i really need a slot port design done! and built! it too complicated for me

SicAudio
05-04-2009, 03:44 AM
hey Penn! for what its worth I am really sorry this blew up your thread bro. that wasn't my intention at all.

IDSkoT
05-04-2009, 11:25 AM

Perhaps if you got your head out of your ***, I clearly said it looks like decent specs, and then said, if you get them write a review because I'm interested. Not saying that I recommend, I'm saying they appear to be decent drivers.
And how do you even know what car I have? lawlz. I could've gotten a brand new car with a brand new bad *** system and you wouldn't know.
oh, and next time you try to condescend, make sure you have something to condescend about. Spending more money on equipment doesn't make you better. Some people actually might think you're even more dumb.

JimJ
05-04-2009, 11:34 AM
he said his high pass filter was set to 63hz...

A HP filter, as the name implies, attenuates the lower frequencies :)

ramos
05-04-2009, 11:50 AM
I love the look of this tangband midbass driver, but is it any good? Anyone use these by chance??? They are sold on Partsexpress and I'm thinking of picking some up in case I ever go active. model number is w6-1721

http://www.parts-express.com/images/item_large/264-874_L.jpg

Think I am going to order a pair to fart around with. I saw them in the PE catalog a couple months back and was intrigued. Looks like tb Downsized that motor from something else they use to make. They model well on paper :)

basebalz13
05-04-2009, 03:06 PM
A HP filter, as the name implies, attenuates the lower frequencies :)

lol wow. i dont remember posting any of this last nite :( haha dam college

basebalz13
05-04-2009, 03:07 PM
and sorry about me ruining your thread :(

SicAudio
05-04-2009, 03:29 PM

hmm 63 hz high pass goes all the way to 200-250? like I said you are a moron.

obviously alot of us on this thread know a ton more than you mr ****** 18 yr old with all that great experience lolz.

[And BTW: the term is "troller." And I'm not trolling. I was helping, you dolt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
read it and learn it, its what you are kid:) like I said it is troll !!!

apparently you dont either if you think a high pass at 63hz plays at 200 lolz

[QUOTE=IDSkoT;6122468]I'm using TB full range and a TB sub, and they're amazing. TB company makes good quality budget drivers.

try mid to high end ******* they have been compared to vifa, seas, and morel by professionals in the HT field that design very expensive line array setups.

thats how I know what you supposedly have, just like you have hertz 165's and rsd6.5's ect everypost you recommend something you say you have it how is is that at 18 you have so much?

Perhaps if you got your head out of your ***, I clearly said it looks like decent specs, and then said, if you get them write a review because I'm interested. Not saying that I recommend, I'm saying they appear to be decent drivers.
And how do you even know what car I have? lawlz. I could've gotten a brand new car with a brand new bad *** system and you wouldn't know.
oh, and next time you try to condescend, make sure you have something to condescend about. Spending more money on equipment doesn't make you better. Some people actually might think you're even more dumb.

there are plenty that know better that would argue you into stupidity over that vauge reply lolz

basebalz13
05-04-2009, 03:31 PM
LOL, maybe i still know a lil sumin sumin when im gone haha.

James Bang
05-05-2009, 07:32 PM
cool. buy it. try it and let us know how it goes.

thegreatestpenn
05-06-2009, 01:48 AM
u guys really fuxed my thread. I don't even want them now, going with some neo motor power acoustiks instead

KyngHype
05-07-2009, 07:40 PM
u guys really fuxed my thread. I don't even want them now, going with some neo motor power acoustiks instead

:clap: I lol'd, penn ALWAYS delivers...

squeak9798
05-07-2009, 09:02 PM
http://www.zaphaudio.com/6.5test/

This is a high excursion woofer with an underhung voicecoil design. The motor is truly monsterous in size, probably the heaviest I've seen in a 7" woofer. Very clean and smooth midrange, and the underhung geometry should help it remain clean at higher output levels. Harmonic distortion is not very good below 50 Hz, even factoring in it's strangely peaking low end response. If using in a full low end capacity, this woofer's mild midrange droop and distortion profile will require less baffle step correction than is normal. Overall a nice and certainly unique driver. Tested August 2008.

jdawg
05-07-2009, 09:18 PM
haha
well lookie there

i like my mli65 anyways

SicAudio
05-07-2009, 10:03 PM
I notice that IDSkot hasn't tried to step on my toes recently lolz.
the TB's are sweet in a 3 way setup you will like them I think.

PaulD
05-08-2009, 01:32 PM
this place is just too funny, too bad I don't have a lot time to browse thru here much.

aworldcollision
05-08-2009, 04:56 PM
I've heard four in a shared slotted enclosure. Sounded great, IMO. As a sub, I was impressed but doubt their popularity as an SPL driver.

As a midbass, I'd wonder about installation and width at final depth, if that makes sense. I've not heard them as midbass.

They are a great avenue as are peerles. IMHO, morel home drivers are worth their weight in gold.

Rich B
05-08-2009, 05:05 PM
I have two problems with those mids.

Its too deep (over 4") for most uses, and the price went from $59 each when they first came out to over $80 now.

djman37
05-08-2009, 05:10 PM
i'd rather have Mach5 mids myself.