PDA

View Full Version : New Car (Audio) Hobbyist

BluSoul
05-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Hello to all,

My username is BluSoul, and as you get to know me better, you'll know why I have that username.

I've been a big auto enthusiast for quite sometime, perhaps 20 years or so. However, after quite a bit of reading, web browsing, interviewing with car audio dealers, and on and on, I finally faced the fact that I've caught the car audio bug likewise. I mean, I'm really getting into this!

Therefore, I've joined this forum to learn, express ideas, and exchange information, all for the development of my new "hobby." In the end, this along with my car mod interests, I should come up with a nice looking car at the end of my overall project, minus the money I will spend to build it.

Anyway, thanks for having me, and I'm glad to be here.

-- BluSoul

thevic24
05-03-2009, 08:08 PM
welcome, and i hope you have thick skin as there are a lot of assholes here. i say just ignore them and enjoy your stay.

-vic

MakeshiftAudio
05-03-2009, 08:09 PM
What kind of hobbiest do you plan on being? :P 99% DIY or buy it and have someone else install it?

Have fun! It's an interesting hobby that I enjoy.

PS: It's site, not sight. :)

Edit: 2x on the comment of the amount of assholes.

BluSoul
05-03-2009, 08:41 PM
welcome, and i hope you have thick skin as there are a lot of assholes here. i say just ignore them and enjoy your stay.

-vic

Thanks for the advanced warning. Will proceed with caution, and try to enjoy the social exchange. I haven't even started realy, other than the planning stage, for my 2003 Dodge Neon SXT. My aim is to eventually go DIY 100%, although in reality I know I might start with others doing my installs, simply be/c I lack the space and tools (I live in an apartment, under a lease...).

I'll begin with a cheap upgrade purchase from, say, wally world, before tackling a double din fab job for say an AVIC (Neons are 1.5 din, and I'll need fabbing for the install). Still searching for amps of choice...I'm learning that nowadays, amps are cheaply made, and that I should take heed of "buyer beware." I've finalized my choice of speakers and subs, with some fabbing for door installs (rear doors do not have speakers in the Neon).

That's it for now, just planning. Hope you guys at least find my interesting and likable.

thevic24
05-03-2009, 08:44 PM
what kind of equipment are you thinking of?

Louisiana_CRX
05-03-2009, 08:47 PM
welcone to the forum....:wave:

BushJ311
05-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Skip the wally world. You can get nice used equipment here that is better for around the same price.

thevic24
05-03-2009, 08:53 PM
wally world......
wal mart.....
;):D
everybody must start somewhere, then learn and move on to bigger and better things.

BluSoul
05-03-2009, 09:05 PM
what kind of equipment are you thinking of?

Well, I'm going Digital Designs all the way, as far as speakers go...athough I once heard there are better amps out there than what DD is putting out. Two 12s (2500s), two 6x9s (DDCX6x9s), two 6.5s for rear door (DDCX6.5s -- req's fabwork), component system in front door, Power Acoustik NX-10 horn tweets mounted on dash, and two 8in subs under the front dash after some "angle" fabbing -- all running from three amps (still not sure what amps, by the way). All compatible wiring, batteries, etc will go with. Will only have the 12s and 6.5s for the rear door installed; plan to at least try the rest myself, after ~$1000 deadening upgrade, from 3rd brakelight, to the firewall.

Will start cheap; stock speakers w/ 12s (installed), rear 6.5s (installed), and a wally world HU. Then the dynamatting. Then the rest of the buildup mentioned (running on AVIC-900BT).

thevic24
05-03-2009, 09:11 PM
well i can tell you the dd 2500 will easiealy take 1k each daily and then some and the normal 1508 will also do 1k but sound fine on 500rms. dd has the 1508t but i cant vouch for how that sounds.
dd is more known for spl vs sq but it would be a nice treat to see a very good sq setup using dd equipment.
in for pics when you get going.

BluSoul
05-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Skip the wally world. You can get nice used equipment here that is better for around the same price.

Hmmm...wasn't aware of that. In that case, I will be looking for some quality buys here.

BluSoul
05-03-2009, 09:21 PM
welcone to the forum....:wave:

Thanks for the warm welcome. Please to meet you.

thevic24
05-03-2009, 09:26 PM
louisiana_crx is the only one who has more dd subs than dd them selves.;)

BluSoul
05-03-2009, 10:38 PM
well i can tell you the dd 2500 will easiealy take 1k each daily and then some and the normal 1508 will also do 1k but sound fine on 500rms. dd has the 1508t but i cant vouch for how that sounds.
dd is more known for spl vs sq but it would be a nice treat to see a very good sq setup using dd equipment.
in for pics when you get going.

I will probably balance them to run quality on 500rms, whenever I get to that point. The "Ts" are what I had in mind, due to the closed space under the dash. Planning fiberglass and lights for the 8s underdash. Should look fine, with a functional location in mind, for the best sound deliverance. If it weren't for the knee panels, I'd be in for a dynamic set up.

The thought in mind is, whenever I've heard rear only subs, there seemed to be something missing, in terms of bass deliverance upfront. I plan to effectively fill that void. I feel it can be done, if the space is studied carfully, to deliver bass to the ambient points that are not enriched with what is coming from the rear. Anyway, that is why I will have front 8s.

You say, "dd is more known for spl vs sq but it would be a nice treat to see a very good sq setup using dd equipment." Not sure I understand that, are you talking parallel and sequential? Please elaborate.

denim
05-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Welcome to CA.com.