PDA

View Full Version : 18 BTL + 4th order BP w/ 9 cuft net???

arps
05-03-2009, 01:14 AM
What up guys, I'm trying to figure out what enclosure to do for my 18 BTL. I can fit at most a 9 cuft net box in my bonneville's trunk. Is that enough for a proper 4th order bandpass? If a big *** ported will be better off, I'll just go with that instead. I only listen to rap/bass music with the sub on, so a pretty low tuning would be ideal. Power should be in the area of 4000 watts at most from a XXX-6500D.

fearof85
05-03-2009, 01:22 AM
Don't know if they work to well in 4th orders but if I had to guess I would do 4 cu.ft sealed and 5 cu.ft ported to 45 hz. Model that up, should have plenty of low end. Might work better in a 6th order.

Drew

shellfish
05-03-2009, 01:23 AM
Ported with a huge port is probably better. I have yet to see a BTL in a bandpass.
On the other hand you could be a pioneer, exploring the unexplored!

dappa5
05-03-2009, 01:52 AM
go w/the 4th order but w/ big cars i like to blow the port through the rear deck (excelent sound in car very little rattle outside)

arps
05-03-2009, 10:49 PM
any other thoughts on what sealed to ported ratio and tuning i should try?

tez4life
05-05-2009, 03:00 AM
What up guys, I'm trying to figure out what enclosure to do for my 18 BTL. I can fit at most a 9 cuft net box in my bonneville's trunk. Is that enough for a proper 4th order bandpass? If a big *** ported will be better off, I'll just go with that instead. I only listen to rap/bass music with the sub on, so a pretty low tuning would be ideal. Power should be in the area of 4000 watts at most from a XXX-6500D.

Never heard of a BTL in a bandpass box before.... might be different.

However, the sub has been proven time and time again in large ported boxes with plenty of port area.

Based on what you listen to all the time, plus all the power you have on tap (bandpass boxes tend to be more efficient) I would suggest a large ported box with alot of port and you will not be disappointed.

arps
05-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Never heard of a BTL in a bandpass box before.... might be different.

However, the sub has been proven time and time again in large ported boxes with plenty of port area.

Based on what you listen to all the time, plus all the power you have on tap (bandpass boxes tend to be more efficient) I would suggest a large ported box with alot of port and you will not be disappointed.

Yeah, thats probably the better option. It's also my first legit box build so 4th order might be a little over my head. The whole point of me wanting to do a bandpass was to save my trunk lid some abuse and get *** much bass as possible into the cabin from the trunk. Should be able to accomplish that somewhat with a simple sub up port through the rear deck.

Thanks for the responses guys

80INCHES
05-05-2009, 12:38 PM
hmm u can do 3 cubes seald playing into 6 cubes ported tuned to 40hz and ur good to go...
i think u can do a 6th order with that space....3 cubes tuned to 65hz with 3 6inch aeroports plying into 6 cubes tuned to 32hz with 2 6inch earoports

but push come to shove..7 cubes with 140 square inches of port tuned to 35hz..and u will put a hurting on people

arps
05-05-2009, 06:01 PM
thanks 80, i've been waiting for you to chime in.

I think i'll try that 6th order

DNick454
05-05-2009, 09:21 PM
I don't have any experience with bandpass boxes, but isn't the BTL intended for ported enclosures only? Having half the sub face being in a sealed enclosure, wouldn't that throw off the sub's specifically ported designed resonant specs and whatnot? Maybe I'm just talkin out my ***, not the first time :p:

6th order sounds interesting enough though. Is that just like the sub being in two ported enclosures, one tuned higher and one lower? Sounds like fun :D