PDA

View Full Version : New to everything pretty much

JonnyBrutal
04-30-2009, 02:57 AM
Hey you guys, how's it going, well I wasn't sure where I should post this but since I just joined I figured why not here.

Alright well I bought some subs 2 years ago from a guy at work and now would like to upgrade to better sound, more power in the bass, etc.

I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand AM with an aftermarket Pioneer deck, can't remember off the top of my head which specific one it is. The speakers are two 12" Alpine type E and the AMP is Alpine MRP 450.

I have yet to fully understand how much wattage you can have before you need to get a better alternator or capacitor, etc.

The wiring kit said it was up to 1500 watts and it would be awesome if I didn't have to go through the whole re wiring process.

Just wondering if there was anything you guys would recommend that I could go up to and get that would give me more yet not so powerful that it would shut off my car, wreck my alternator, blow anything, etc.

Already blew the right sub because I didn't know how to balance it correctly and when I bought it from the guy he had it turned up all the way on the AMP.

As you can see I do not know really anything about these things yet and hope to learn over the years.

Hopefully you guys can help or maybe even direct me to something that will help me understand the meanings of terms better.

Thanks! :D

mcsoul
04-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Your question belongs here in "Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help"

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13

It does not look like your running a lot of power, you could get away with a 4g wiring
kit, a 1/0 piece from your battery negative to the frame, and a batcap 300, 400 or 800
in the trunk next to the amp.

WildSebring
04-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Welcome to the forums.

Read in the Wiring/Electrical section that Mcsoul pointed out to you. You will learn quite a bit reading other peoples experiences.

What AWG is in the car right now? I'm guessing it is 8 gauge.

I personally would just go ahead and run 1/0 so that way in the future you will not have to change wire again. And like he said, buy a small battery..maybe a Batcap 800 or Kinetik 800 or something along those lines and put it next to the amp.
It will help a lot.

:)

JonnyBrutal
04-30-2009, 01:47 PM
^
Alright, thanks you guys I'm gonna read up on there.

denim
05-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Welcome to CA.com.