PDA

View Full Version : box size vs. power handling

honkyg
04-29-2009, 06:56 PM
we need a thread about how box size is directly related to the power handling of various subs (possible sticky?), i know this covers 2 diff areas of the forum, but i believe it is most appropriate here and im sure itll fill in the blanks for a few or more members here

pjhabit
04-30-2009, 09:42 PM
The mechanical power handling of a woofer will decrease as the enclosure size gets bigger. Thermal power handling won't be affected much if any.

Random1010
04-30-2009, 11:03 PM
Not a necessary sticky...or even thread.

IDSkoT
04-30-2009, 11:05 PM
The mechanical power handling of a woofer will decrease as the enclosure size gets bigger. Thermal power handling won't be affected much if any.

In technicality, you have less pressure on the cone, so the thermal power handling will alter slightly... but it's mostly mechanical.

SPL Blazer
04-30-2009, 11:13 PM
I know in SPL enclosures you generally build smaller to handle more power, but apparently it's not the same with every sub. I remember contacting Kicker about their CVX sub when I first got into competing and they said it needed more airspace to handle more power, and they agreed that it was unusual but thats how they build their subs.

DonH
05-01-2009, 12:17 AM
Not a necessary sticky...or even thread.

so fuckn true!

SRim23
05-01-2009, 12:24 AM
I know in SPL enclosures you generally build smaller to handle more power, but apparently it's not the same with every sub. I remember contacting Kicker about their CVX sub when I first got into competing and they said it needed more airspace to handle more power, and they agreed that it was unusual but thats how they build their subs.

generally aluminum cone subs suggest that larger enclosures for more power handling.

subs like the DIYMA can buckle in smaller enclosures the more power you give them.

snb778
05-01-2009, 12:24 AM
on the contrary...

When I had my RD alpha.. I had it in 5.5 cubes at 1/2 gain... i then put it in a 7 cu. ft. box, "tuned the same", and i had to turn the gain to 4/5 gain to match the output

sounds weird I know... say what you want, but it happened...

Suk it Trebek

bustaplz
05-01-2009, 12:40 PM
on the contrary...

When I had my RD alpha.. I had it in 5.5 cubes at 1/2 gain... i then put it in a 7 cu. ft. box, "tuned the same", and i had to turn the gain to 4/5 gain to match the output

sounds weird I know... say what you want, but it happened...

Suk it Trebek

That's pretty normal in my opinion. The larger the enclosure, the flatter the response will be. When you say "tuned the same" I'm guessing it was a ported box? If so, was it really tuned the same or did you use the same port or ports in the larger box? If that is the case, the larger box would be tuned lower, reducing the peakiness of the response and of course larger, also flattening the response curve. Both of those together would decrease output by a pretty good amount, but would add to the low end extension.