PDA

View Full Version : Small box shape: Irregular OK?

drpeeb
04-29-2009, 12:07 PM
I have very little room to work with in my extended cab truck, but am trying my best to design my box to meet Kicker's recommended "sealed" dimension of 1.0 cubic foot.

I can accomplish it with some odd little shapes sticking out here and there ... Will odd little shapes affect the sound in a bad way??

(I've tried placing my current rectangular prototype box on the seat rather than under it on the floor, and the bass is way better sounding when it's on the floor facing up)

Tks

iamamp3pimp
04-29-2009, 12:11 PM
it should be fine.

make sure its sealed well though

Villeza1
04-29-2009, 12:13 PM
it should be fine.

make sure its sealed well though

X2

drpeeb
04-29-2009, 12:26 PM
X2

OK ... thanks to both.

Alex JB
04-29-2009, 12:36 PM
you thinking of fibreglass or just odd angle wood work?

if you can save yourself a load of work by only getting 0.9 cu-ft them you can use some wading to artificially make the box seem bigger.

I managed to squeeze 1.1 cu-ft after port and bracing in my F150 ext cab so you should be able to get 1 cube sealed

drpeeb
04-29-2009, 12:42 PM
you thinking of fibreglass or just odd angle wood work?

if you can save yourself a load of work by only getting 0.9 cu-ft them you can use some wading to artificially make the box seem bigger.

I managed to squeeze 1.1 cu-ft after port and bracing in my F150 ext cab so you should be able to get 1 cube sealed

I'm just using 3/4" MDF. Never tried fiberglass, & not really ready to, yet.

Yeah, I can get it to about 0.9 cu-ft (without a bunch of weird extra shapes) which is probably good enough. But I'm also wanting to make a ported version which Kicker says should be a minimum of 1.25 cu-ft plus the port .. Gettin' big. May just not be able to do that one.

My 0.9 cu-ft version is very shallow, though, with the back of the speaker within about 3/4" of the rear (bottom in this case) panel. Is there any limitation on how close the back of the sub should be kept from the panel behind it??