PDA

View Full Version : Trial box design

sackamous
04-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Ok i started playing with google sketch to design a box tonight. Does this look pretty good for under the back seat of my truck. The subs call for .75 cubes and take up .18 so I over shot it a hair at .97 per sub. All they have in town is 5/8 mdf will this be good. Its the reason my measurements are -1.25 for the sides instead of -1.5. Thanks for any input guys.

schrummy
04-28-2009, 11:49 PM
i dont know........ i think you are going to run into some problems when you try to cut the holes...... you will have to do some very accurate cuts. but other than that look good.

gotparts90
04-29-2009, 01:55 AM
are the subs going to stick out over the edges?

sackamous
04-29-2009, 05:52 AM
No they aren't spouse to hang off they are like 12.38 inches on the out side. They should end like a quarter inch away from each other side to side and almost perfectly to the end of the box. When it comes time to cut the holes I plan on taking them out and setting them on the face where I want um. Then I can outline the sub it self then I can center my cut pattern from there. They will be super close to the edges and and touching in between um, but I think I can pull it off like that.

sackamous
04-29-2009, 05:58 AM
I also planned on cutting the holes in the face before attaching it to the two big boxes that way if I mess up I dont have to start completely over just cut out a new face. Its going to be a little tricky to do for a first box, but should be fun. Quick question Do I have to clamp It together while the glue dries or can I screw it to hold it while the glue dries. I don't have any really big clamps, or small clamps for that matter. Would rather not have to by any either.

drpeeb
04-29-2009, 11:54 AM
No they aren't spouse to hang off they are like 12.38 inches on the out side. They should end like a quarter inch away from each other side to side and almost perfectly to the end of the box. When it comes time to cut the holes I plan on taking them out and setting them on the face where I want um. Then I can outline the sub it self then I can center my cut pattern from there. They will be super close to the edges and and touching in between um, but I think I can pull it off like that.

WOW that's gonna be close!

drpeeb
04-29-2009, 11:55 AM
I also planned on cutting the holes in the face before attaching it to the two big boxes that way if I mess up I dont have to start completely over just cut out a new face. Its going to be a little tricky to do for a first box, but should be fun. Quick question Do I have to clamp It together while the glue dries or can I screw it to hold it while the glue dries. I don't have any really big clamps, or small clamps for that matter. Would rather not have to by any either.

If you can glue it not all at once, you can glue certain joints and just set weight on them until they're dry. Then go on to the next one(s).

SSS 18734
04-29-2009, 12:07 PM
It doesn't look like your box walls have any depth to them. Make sure to model it using 3/4" MDF before you start building.

sackamous
05-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Well its not perfect , but it came out pretty good for my first box I think. I had to edit my planes just a hair from my original design. Couldn't go as deep as I wanted so i made two chambers that went all the way to the center instead of two separate sides, that way I could keep the air space.

dappa5
05-02-2009, 10:48 PM
any one else wanna call shenanigans??

dappa5
05-02-2009, 10:51 PM
I'm just playin looks good 4 a first box it's in a chevy right?

sackamous
05-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Under the back seat of a titan. I had to lift it 2 inches though to get the mounting hight for the 12s. I lucked out and found a metal flex gasket at work that was the exact size of the cut out. Else I dont think I would have been able to build it with the subs so close to the sides and each other. And thanks I appericeat the looks good comment. It wasent eazy.

Fuknmovin
05-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Good build, I want to try something like that in my wife's Titan!

drpeeb
05-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Good build, I want to try something like that in my wife's Titan!

Your wife has a Titan??? HOT!

Fuknmovin
05-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Yup, Silver lifted on 35's with Teflon Black rims..

sackamous
05-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Nice, you will have to lift the back seat though. Unless you do 10s they will fit with it stock. It will be a little harder to get the air space though.

drpeeb
05-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Well its not perfect , but it came out pretty good for my first box I think. I had to edit my planes just a hair from my original design. Couldn't go as deep as I wanted so i made two chambers that went all the way to the center instead of two separate sides, that way I could keep the air space.

Will your back seats go all the way down with the box in there, to where they lock? Looks too tall for that. I can't even get 10's in my Titan king cab that way.

SicAudio
05-04-2009, 09:16 PM
looks very nice great job :)

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:applause::applause::applause:

:goldcup::goldcup::goldcup:

sackamous
05-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Mines a king cab. I had to lift the entire back seat 2 inches though. It would have been very uncomfortable if i just leaned it up. You should have to only just lean it up maybe a half inch or so to do 10s and it should still latch just fine. Unless they changed some thing in the different year models mine is an 05.

Thanks Sic