PDA

View Full Version : I need eveyones expertise!!! PLEASE!!!

maritoze
04-26-2009, 10:14 PM
OK, so heres the deal. Im going to put to memphis M3's in my Montero Sport.... I have the box dimensions and everything but Im having twouble with the port the interior volume of the box wil be 5.783 cubes and I want to put a round port I used a round port length calculator to figure out the length for a 35hz 6 inch port(it says the length should be 6.36 inches.) Is that right???:confused:

thegreatestpenn
04-26-2009, 10:16 PM
hm, it may be right since that is not enough port area for such a big box. since its not alot of port area for the space, the port doesn't need to be long

Ellsworthz
04-26-2009, 10:17 PM
im trying to make a plate, anybody seen the scale?

maritoze
04-26-2009, 10:20 PM
hm, it may be right since that is not enough port area for such a big box. since its not alot of port area for the space, the port doesn't need to be long

What size port would you recomend? the box is 37 inches wide.

maritoze
04-26-2009, 10:48 PM
How would it work If I ran dual ports. Would I add the diameter of both ports to get one port length then divide the port length by two?

For example it says a 6 inch port would be 6.3 inches long... so say I wanted to run two 6 inch ports I would then have 12 inches of port, therefore making the length of each port about 17.1 inches?

maritoze
04-26-2009, 11:52 PM
anyone?

DNick454
04-27-2009, 12:29 AM
How would it work If I ran dual ports. Would I add the diameter of both ports to get one port length then divide the port length by two?

For example it says a 6 inch port would be 6.3 inches long... so say I wanted to run two 6 inch ports I would then have 12 inches of port, therefore making the length of each port about 17.1 inches?

Port area is dependent on how large your box is volume wise and how much cone area + excursion you're getting. A small port doesn't need to be very long to achieve a low tuning, but it also is restrictive to air flow and you will probably get port noise from the turbulence. A large port area breathes much better and can get louder (all within reason of course) but is required to be longer to achieve the same tune. You didn't say what size woofers you were using, but if it's two 12's, expect to have something like 50-60 sq. in of port area, then shorten or lengthen it to get the proper tuning frequency. If you're using aero ports, you can get away with less port area because they are much more efficient air flow wise.

thegreatestpenn
04-27-2009, 12:33 AM
look in my picture gallery for an idea of how to run dual ports off the side.

maritoze
04-27-2009, 01:03 AM
Im gonna go with a slot port instead...lol

maritoze
04-27-2009, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the help though. The aero port seems like it would be harder.