PDA

View Full Version : Speaker problems

Boomer14
04-25-2009, 04:45 PM
I have an FI Audio 18 inch sub in my 93 mercury sable i have a 300 watt cerwin vega amp to the sub. When I turn the sub on from my stereo the sub starts to hit but as I turn up the volume the sub start to pulsate nonstop and i turn the sub off and it still pulsates on its own. I have checked the wires they are fine the fuses are fine. I was wondering if somone could help on figuring out why the sub is pulsating cause i cant even have it on any more with out it doing that?

bustaplz
04-25-2009, 06:31 PM
It sounds like you have some nasty engine noise going into the sub amp. Is this pulsating audible? Do you get music sounds out of the sub? How is the amp wired? Are you using preamp outputs or a line output converter? Need some details to help you out.

bustaplz
04-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Also, this is probably the wrong forum subsection for the question, a mod may want to move it to electrical or amps.

Boomer14
04-27-2009, 01:24 AM
I can get some bass to the speaker but when I turn the volume up on the stereo it the sub starts to continuosly pulsate nonstop and the wiring is just two wires coming from the speaker one goes in the positive and the other one in the negative and I turned the amp output to make the speaker hit harder and the amp is only 300 watts the only way to get the speaker to stop is to turn my car of completely and when the sub pulsates for like 1 min the middle part that says FI gets really hot.

SicAudio
04-27-2009, 01:37 AM
300 watts for an 18?

fuster
04-27-2009, 04:36 AM
Almost sounds like your amplifier PCB is dumping high voltage to the speakers. Sounds like it is AC voltage, which at least says the amp is sending out the right information, just too much.

bustaplz
04-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Almost sounds like your amplifier PCB is dumping high voltage to the speakers. Sounds like it is AC voltage, which at least says the amp is sending out the right information, just too much.

If he is even close to right, your sub isn't going to last long. I would disconnect the sub from the amp and find a new amp. Honestly, you don't sound like you know what you're doing. I suggest finding a professional installer and having them take a look at your setup.

SicAudio
04-27-2009, 02:21 PM
If he is even close to right, your sub isn't going to last long. I would disconnect the sub from the amp and find a new amp. Honestly, you don't sound like you know what you're doing. I suggest finding a professional installer and having them take a look at your setup.

a big huge X's 2

MTX520
04-27-2009, 02:29 PM
what type of FI do you have?Q?SSD?BL?BTL?.