PDA

View Full Version : more oomph in the mid range?

Alex JB
04-24-2009, 02:53 PM
I need advice on wht I can use to get more overall sound :D
But I don't have much cash to spend :(
I'm more than happy with what my substage can do and the high end seems fine so I think I need more mid range.

I have JL coax 6.5's in the front doors (crossed over at about 100Hz) and 80RMS per speaker, amp is 4 ch so I have another 80 x 2 going spare, so what to put into the rear doors?

I think more co-ax will give too much brights so mids I think, but I only have the amps high pass or low pass to play with.
If I cut off some mids or midbass 6.5" at about 150Hz then the high end is proly too much for them.

Anyone used dayton 4" full range?
Maybe with 200Hz cutoff these would fill in and not go crazy bright at the high end?

Any suggestions welcomed :)

Alex JB
04-27-2009, 02:16 PM
no one?

SicAudio
04-27-2009, 02:24 PM
go to parts express and look at some tang band midbass woofers

Etac
04-27-2009, 02:25 PM
i have two for sale ;)

seriously tho i think you need to reword this post.. if you're looking for midbass, unless you have a perfect enclosure for them.. i dont think 4's are gonna give you what you're looking for. you'd probaly be better off bridging that amp and eqing the bass out, if they can take it. and try crossing them as low as possible.

also make sure there is as sealed as tight as possible btween the speaker and door.. use modeling clay between the spacer (if you use one) and door if you have too.

Alex JB
04-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Thanks,
I deadened my doors and used model clay behind the JL 6.5's, I think they are mounted fine and are doing as much as theu can.
I think they are rated to 75RMS and the amp is set to about 80% on the gain, any more and they distort at 25 out of 30 on the head unit volume.

maybe 4" is too small, guess I'm looking for 150/250 - 5000Hz.
I can cut off using the amp at up to 250, but I don't want to increase the audible volume of the high end over 5000Hz or so.

Just looked at the12v.com calculator and I may try a coil to make a basic 1st order filter around 5KHz

What do you have by the way?

pjhabit
04-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Throw the coax in the back & run em' on hu power. Then bridge the amp to a nice comp set up front (as big as you can fit).

Your gain set at 80% might be an acceptable setting...but I doubt it. Rarely will it need to be set that high. If you're unsure of the purpose of the gain or don't know what clipping is, I'd study up on it before you add any more speakers.

thormxkid
04-27-2009, 10:56 PM
seal your doors...makes a huge diff in mid bass

James Bang
04-27-2009, 11:28 PM
seal your doors...makes a huge diff in mid bass

Re: more oomph in the mid range?