PDA

View Full Version : box design for 12" mach 5 ixl

kyleorsini
04-24-2009, 01:39 PM
Can anyone do up a box design for a 12"ixl driver? Width needs to be 30" and 14" height. Slot port with a couple corner braces. If somone can do one up that would be great.

DNick454
04-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Hmm, I'd build one, you sure you can't find someone locally to do it though? Shipping to canada is going to be rather costly...

kyleorsini
04-24-2009, 03:22 PM
I asked for a design not a actual box :p ill be building it today hopefullly

IDSkoT
04-24-2009, 03:25 PM
You forgot depth.

DNick454
04-24-2009, 03:27 PM
You forgot depth.
I'm guessing he is restricted to those dimensions as far as width and height. I would assume depth can be manipulated to achieve needed volume.

And sorry kyle, sometimes I phail and reading. I read "box" and then read "winnipeg" and just thought, "****, that's gonna be hella expensive to ship."

kyleorsini
04-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Depth shouldn't be an issue with having the box 30" wide and only having a single 12

IDSkoT
04-24-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm guessing he is restricted to those dimensions as far as width and height. I would assume depth can be manipulated to achieve needed volume.

And sorry kyle, sometimes I phail and reading. I read "box" and then read "winnipeg" and just thought, "****, that's gonna be hella expensive to ship."

You still need a maximum, just in case.

Depth shouldn't be an issue with having the box 30" wide and only having a single 12

Read above.

kyleorsini
04-24-2009, 03:35 PM
okay then 15-16" for depth.
its okay nick haha yeah shipping would be stupid i just need a couple
designs as mine is junk but it is only my first box for the driver so first box shouldnt
be perfect right off the hop.

Skip01
04-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Check the sticky on top marked Box Plans.

Find one that's like 2 to 2.5cu and maybe 35 to 38hz.

They're free, can't go wrong

kyleorsini
04-24-2009, 03:44 PM

unless i cant read the tuning for those boxes only go up to 35.

DNick454
04-24-2009, 07:26 PM
okay then 15-16" for depth.
its okay nick haha yeah shipping would be stupid i just need a couple
designs as mine is junk but it is only my first box for the driver so first box shouldnt
be perfect right off the hop.

Is 15-16" what you'd like to make it, or actual max from back seat to the back wall of the trunk. Because you need to have a minimum space between the port and a solid wall which is equal to the width of the port itself. So for example, if 16" is the max you can use, and the port is 3" wide, the box itself can only be 13" deep for port loading purposes.

kyleorsini
04-24-2009, 07:29 PM
no the number is a random number i just said, the depth doesnt matter at all, and
all the boxes ive made have been aroun 15" deep. right now with my box in my trunk at 14 or 15" depth (cant remember) i have about maybe 15" inches to the opening of the trunk. amp will also be mounted on back of the box

DNick454
04-24-2009, 10:28 PM
Alright, here's the design with all dimensions and whatnot.

With sub installed, it'll come out to 1.8 cubes at 33Hz just as recommended by Mach 5.

30" wide
14" tall
14" deep

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l87/DNick454/kyleorsini.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l87/DNick454/kyleorsini2.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l87/DNick454/kyleorsini3.jpg

The bottom and top are both 30" by 14"
All the other dimensions for length of the walls are shown in the first pic and they are all 12 1/2" tall.

Good luck with the build and please post pics and/or vids when it's done :D

kyleorsini
04-24-2009, 10:38 PM
thankss nick :D

kyleorsini
04-26-2009, 12:37 AM
the box is done finally. all hooked up and just gotta see how it sounds.
heres a couple pics and yes im aware the amp is mounted upside down.

http://i43.tinypic.com/a2aigw.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/2hd2nvl.jpg

kyleorsini
04-26-2009, 12:39 AM
and nevermind the bad router job on the edges hahaha.

DNick454
04-26-2009, 01:48 AM
Well there's your problem... with that amp mounted upside down, you're losing atleast 15 deebeez. Box looks good though. What are your plans? Raw wood, carpet, paint?
Hopefully that top piece isnt glued and cured yet, would be kinda hard to paint the port, or at a 45 degree piece at the sharp turn in the port if you wanted to.

kyleorsini
04-26-2009, 01:51 AM
well if i didnt change my mind every week on **** id actually finish a box with carpet and paint but its staying wood.

Puggsley456
04-26-2009, 02:00 AM
And it will take approx. 10-12hrs of playing time to break that bad boy in....You'll see. ;)

It'll even get better.

I'm putting 2 of then in this in the near future. Its going to have removable/changeable ports

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/Puggsley456/boxfront.jpg

kyleorsini
04-26-2009, 02:03 AM
im actually very dissapointed in my sub right now puggsley, its to a point where i wish i hadnt boughten it and sold my R

DNick454
04-26-2009, 02:05 AM
Go get something from the RE lineup. RE SX 12" would be nice, same 1000W rms rating and the SX was designed for ported enclosures only. Ontop of that, RE subs just look plain **** in flat black with that white RE logo :laugh:

RE recomends 1.5-2 cubic feet for a 12" SX, so that would drop right into your box like a charm

jmanpc
04-26-2009, 02:08 AM
im actually very dissapointed in my sub right now puggsley, its to a point where i wish i hadnt boughten it and sold my R

Your sub doesn't like you because you have bad grammar.

Puggsley456
04-26-2009, 02:08 AM

Elaborate please.

kyleorsini
04-26-2009, 02:09 AM
:laugh:
send me a sx my way and ill put er in my box ;)

DNick454
04-26-2009, 02:12 AM
:laugh:
send me a sx my way and ill put er in my box ;)

Lol, if I had the cash laying around for an RE SX, it'd be in my car right now instead of these two 10" kicker comps. :p:

kyleorsini
04-26-2009, 02:16 AM
true true but hey ur doing dam well with those little kickers ;)

DNick454
04-26-2009, 02:20 AM
Hehe, I need to find someone around here with TL so I can meter it. It would be nothing impressive, but I'm sure it'd be pretty funny to see what these things can do. I was really surprised at how loud they got for being such a cheap sub with little RMS power. Not much cone area workin there either.

406er
04-26-2009, 03:42 AM

LOL, wouldnt ya know that the shop who sold em the sub, has a 2.25 net at 38Hz box ready to go, in fact the box was in his trunk for him to "test drive" the sub befor he bought.

kyle i can tell ya the box it tuned way to low, and is to small. also how did the type R sound after we set up your amp, how did it compair to the IXL in our box?? what was the tuning of the type R box you built. we need to make sure your compairing apples to apples here. the IXL is a great sub and in the "right" box can walk all over a type R. the other thing kyle, what are you expecting with the power you have.

http://www.hamiltonaudio.com/webpic/van_6.jpg

hamiltonaudio
04-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Hey Kyle - here's a couple of factors that play into your somewhat disappointment:

1. power - the amp you have is near gutless.
2. crossovers - your deck does NOT have a defeatable low pass and neither does your amp - so you're crossing over a crossover. NOT good.
3. box - the box you had initially was completely wrong. Too small and tuned far too low. It also leaked and the subwoofer wasn't mounted correctly causing a rattle.

As per discussion via email - you're overgaining (and overdriving) the sub to get "more" out of it causing massive clipping and the popping you're hearing - all due to a lack of real power. A couple of suggestions will wake the subwoofer up BIGTIME:

1. correct box - I happen to have one in my showroom as per Jay's photo above
2. correct settings - swapping out your signal from the permanently crossed over sw output to say even the rear channels will help - then you can rely on just the filter on the amp.
3. time - that sub will wake up as puggsley said after 10-12 hours of use

Your amplifier is the final issue in the chain - there's a reason you paid so little for it. Based on what I've heard in your car its lucky to make 600 wrms. We've have TREMEMDOUS success with this driver in other applications - which tells us you've got some issues to work out before you condemn the driver :) An offer I'll make you that you can take up on anytime - Jay has a box for a single 12 in his truck right now that is near perfect for that IXL - he happens to have serious US Amps power to work with. I'm willing to swap in YOUR IXL into his box and have a listen. You'll have eliminated the issues of wrong box, poor power and multiple filters. I GUARANTEE you'll agree its twice the driver your Type R was and will work on the things I've suggested above ;)

bmoney

72 chevy van
04-26-2009, 11:18 AM
it's all in the box.

hamiltonaudio
04-26-2009, 12:12 PM
in this case I'm inclined to agree for the most part - but there are a small handful of other issues that are affecting performance as well.

jmanpc
04-26-2009, 02:37 PM
I'm surrounded by canadians.

DNick454
04-26-2009, 03:01 PM
No reason the box should be too small. In fact, that is what was recommended by Mach 5 Audio for the 12" IXL driver. I re-checked everything on two different box calc's and it is 1.89 cubic feet tuned 32.6 Hz. Once the woofer is installed, net volume should be right at 1.8 cubes at 33 Hz.

Personally, if not recommended otherwise by Mach5, I would've gone for 2 cubes at like 35Hz, but I would assume Mach 5 knows what they're talking about /sigh

EDIT: Good thing is, you're canadian, I bet wood is dirt cheap by you eh? :laugh:

hamiltonaudio
04-26-2009, 05:11 PM
hahahahah yeah I guess wood isn't so bad around here :) Ironically the owner and mastermind behind Mach 5 lives right down the street from my shop - so I have the inside track :)

Our box designs come from flat out test-mule-box testing. For the audiophile type anything 1.8 to 2.0 cubes net at 33ish would be perfect. Nice speed, great extension. However, our testing and TermLab results tell us that a little larger and tuned a little higher is far more effective (and desireable) for our younger customers. They like the improved output (in many cases vastly improved) and upper end punch, right where the majority of their rap, hip hop and top 40 music plays the most.

If I told you what we were doing with 12 x Mach5 SPL12's you'd swear up and down that it'll never work - let alone make any pressure. The TermLab will prove different ;) And funniest of all is that Mach 5's owner is as excited for us to do it as anyone. Mark and Sean - shhhhhhh ......

bmoney

kyleorsini
04-26-2009, 05:18 PM
brian i cant wait to see that project when its done. :D

RAM_Designs
04-26-2009, 05:50 PM
I fail to see how it's tuned too low as well...I have my IXL 10's tuned to 28hz, and love them. I guess some people just prefer peaky bass in the 40-50hz area.

406er
04-26-2009, 06:33 PM
I fail to see how it's tuned too low as well...I have my IXL 10's tuned to 28hz, and love them. I guess some people just prefer peaky bass in the 40-50hz area.

its tuned to low for his intentions. im pretty sure our man kyle here isnt looking for the kansas flat response, but something more along the lines of a peak of around 40-42 for loud bass reproduction of hip hop and rap songs. add a decent front end, but not amplified we also now need to have a sligtly wider response as well to fill the gap in the front end.

once our local dB drag is over, and i removed my SPL 12, i intend to run a pair of IXL 12s in a mid to low 30s box. but ill have a HIGH powerd front end with two pairs of Macrom M2s to get down into the mid 60s, ill let the IXLs take it from down there. and this will be a a demo vehical for our shop!

hamiltonaudio
04-26-2009, 07:06 PM

not everyone has the same musical tastes as you ;) The sub SOUNDS excellent - no doubt - I do believe his "disappointment" is with sheer output. Lower tuning, smaller volume and ****** power all hurt that don't they?

Unless Kyle himself says otherwise, thats what I'm goin with :D

bmoney

kyleorsini
04-26-2009, 07:16 PM
The power is defenatly the prob. And its gonna take a couple boxes to acheive what I'm looking for u don't get a perfect box the first time around

Lakota
04-26-2009, 11:37 PM
You positioned the sub in the wrong spot :) Keep the sub as far away from the port opening as you can.

DNick454
04-27-2009, 12:38 AM
The power is defenatly the prob. And its gonna take a couple boxes to acheive what I'm looking for u don't get a perfect box the first time around

Whatcha talkin about, that box was god's gift to you. Get your ears cleaned :laugh:

Yeah, a little more power and actually breaking the sub in would REALLY help. Even on my ****** comps, I noticed a difference when they were broken in. Even with how squishy the surround and spider is, once they were broken in, they got louder and lower off the same power. If you have a chance, just play a really low note, like 25 Hz, something below the tuning frequency so the subs can pretty much free air. Just let them play for awhile, keep an eye on them, don't jam on them or nothing, just kind of break them in a bit with some light excursion. That's what I did with mine to speed up the break in process.

406er
04-27-2009, 01:03 AM
Whatcha talkin about, that box was god's gift to you. Get your ears cleaned :laugh:

Yeah, a little more power and actually breaking the sub in would REALLY help. Even on my ****** comps, I noticed a difference when they were broken in. Even with how squishy the surround and spider is, once they were broken in, they got louder and lower off the same power. If you have a chance, just play a really low note, like 25 Hz, something below the tuning frequency so the subs can pretty much free air. Just let them play for awhile, keep an eye on them, don't jam on them or nothing, just kind of break them in a bit with some light excursion. That's what I did with mine to speed up the break in process.

perhaps it was a gift from god, but perhaps it wasnt for him. this young lad is looking for the most out put, but still musical and usable for a daily set up. the genaric IXL box is spec out to suite most SQ tastes, aimed for Home audio and for those of use with good front ends. also for those who love the low end, wich is about 15% of you average car audio customers. the other 85%, usaly from the ages 16 to 24 want to wang hard. to impress there buds and to be heard then scean on cruise night. i beleave kyle will fall into this demographic. hes a young enthusiast, who not afraid to pic up a saw and a bottle of glue and play. but being a newb to the hobby he needs some advice based on his application. perhaps if you asked him, what kinda music do ya listen to, most of his curent box issues would have been resolved.

kyle, due to your lack of power, i sugest a bigger box, a tad bigger then 2 cu ft net, and for tuning 38-40hz. also kyle perhaps look into a pair of 3" ABS vents. something that can be removed and shortend up or swaped out for longer ones to play with the tuning. youll find the sweet spot dude. in most cases, theres noting better then real world testing, via a ear, or if your lucky a term lab. good luck with the build!

kyleorsini
04-27-2009, 01:09 AM
yeah jay i def want loud forsure. and it does take a bit of playing around with. ill probly be doing a box this week or weekend if i get a chance. as for power im stuck with that POS for a month or so unfortunatly :(

406er
04-27-2009, 01:18 AM
yeah jay i def want loud forsure. and it does take a bit of playing around with. ill probly be doing a box this week or weekend if i get a chance. as for power im stuck with that POS for a month or so unfortunatly :(

its all good dude. we all start out some ware, it took me a few boxes to get a hang of things. i spent lots of time with winisd and get this, talking with brain on msn. he actuly usta live in thunderbay, but he was a member of www.winnipegheights.com. were i spent lots of time in the car audio section. i got him on MSN and i began to learn and ask questions. he moved here a few years back and we kept in touch and actuly worked together at phat rides. we departed ways for a year or so, but talk on MSN. finaly last summer, we both got together for a few beers and decided to do our own thing. hes always been there for advice and such, much like we are today. we are here to help the newbs out. debunk alot of myths, fix what the other shops do, and help deal with all the BS the other shop fill you guys up with. kyle your basicly goin down a path that i once travled.

kyleorsini
04-27-2009, 01:24 AM
yeah exactly why i plan on sticking with you and brian, the 3 times ive been there learnt soo much from you guys. hopefully this week if i have time at lunch i might come swing by, jay i wouldnt mind hearin your sonoma ;)

406er
04-27-2009, 01:34 AM
yeah exactly why i plan on sticking with you and brian, the 3 times ive been there learnt soo much from you guys. hopefully this week if i have time at lunch i might come swing by, jay i wouldnt mind hearin your sonoma ;)

well kyle, there might be a problem with coming by at lunch. as we have stated, this is a hobby for us, so we actuly do have day time jobs, so where only there when we need to be. i mean if u need us, call us and will make something work for you. we want out customers to be happy with there products. but sounds like mid week we got some box building goin, so you more then welcome to drop buy to see whats up. and you can bet will be there saturday. also do you want to hear the SPL or the IXL in my truck!

kyleorsini
04-27-2009, 01:42 AM
alright well sat will probably be better then ill have a new box then too. LOL
doesnt matter jay w/e's in there is good enough, i just wanna hear something thats been done properly you know.
also using winisd should i bother putting in the t/s parameters in of the ixl or no?

hamiltonaudio
04-29-2009, 11:08 PM
To use modelling software correctly, the more (and more accurate) the T/s params are, the better your model will be. I've been at this game a LONG time, and along the way have gotten the chance to play with a lot of different things. We all mess it up when we start out, don't worry. We all have to learn somehow.

I'm glad you realize that the box and lack of power are your real enemies here - not the driver. The potential of the Mach5 stuff is incredible. And given the right setup you'll come to see that.

bmoney