PDA

View Full Version : Sealed or Ported?

annihilationex
04-24-2009, 03:12 AM
I'm currently planning on building an enclosure to house four 12'' Kicker CVRs and I'm wondering if I should go ported or sealed with these subs. I've got the whole back of my extended cab f-150. Is having a ported enclosure rather than a sealed enclosure going to make that much of a difference? It would only make my job easier going sealed ( there's not a whole lot of math involved here). I'm wanting a very loud setup that has a decent frequency range. Also, I plan on putting 1700 rms to these, if that makes a difference in box design. Does anyone have any design ideas? This is my first enclosure build.

FurbiesAndBeans
04-24-2009, 03:16 AM
Go ported, and yes, it will make a big difference

DNick454
04-24-2009, 10:36 AM
If this is your very first box build, getting the volume, port area and tuning correct and building the box well might be a little difficult. Also, with a sealed box, you might be able to make a box that fits below the window line. With 4 CVR's ported, you're going to need a rather large volume with a good amount of port area, especially since the port is going to be in the cabin, any port noise will **** ***. So the amount of space needed will more than likely be above the window line, if not a wall.