PDA

View Full Version : Need help efficient ported design..

microhaxo
04-21-2009, 10:16 PM
I just bought a new sub and its getting built, so in the meantime i figure i would make a new box.. I have a box currently thats awesome but its 10.75" cut in diameter for the sub and i need 11" its carpeted and everything but the catch is, the box isnt made super efficient, there are 90 degree angles and nothing is rounded off (before i knew bout that) back in o5. Anyway i figure i have two choices.. A. just route the hole bigger to fit new sub, or b. Basically design the same ported box but more efficient and stylish.

So if adding angles in the box will really make a difference then i will remake the box, otherwise if it wont really help then i will just recut my hole.

The reason why i need help is because i dont know how to factor in the angled pieces of wood in relation to the cubic feet, so if someone is good at that, id really like to learn how to work it all in.

mcsoul
04-21-2009, 10:19 PM
If you can build a new one, that's your best bet.
Fischer customs has a website and there are
a few others that can design them too.

fbi90909
04-21-2009, 10:26 PM
rebuild and use aero ports.

microhaxo
04-21-2009, 10:29 PM
I actually don't like Aero ports that much, they make hard core noise if you dont buy them flared :|

What would be the best configuration, sub facing back and aero ports back as well?

fbi90909
04-21-2009, 10:34 PM
I actually don't like Aero ports that much, they make hard core noise if you dont buy them flared :|

What would be the best configuration, sub facing back and aero ports back as well?

aeroports are not THAT expensive to skimp out on the flares.
as for configuration, every car is different so there is no true say as to what will sound best. only you can say what you feel is best.

microhaxo
04-21-2009, 10:43 PM
is adding the angles really that important?

DNick454
04-22-2009, 12:16 AM
They do help, but keep in mind they will change your tuning ever so slightly as well. Since a 45 degree angle actually somewhat corrects a corner back to its original port width, it will actually lower your tuning a tad. You probably wouldn't notice a difference to the ear though unless you had a TL or something. I'm assuming you have both subs and port facing back in the trunk, so even if there is the slightest bit of port noise coming from turbulence, you won't be hearing it in the cabin anyways.