PDA

View Full Version : Failing amp?

Compjake
04-21-2009, 01:44 PM
I have a Optimus STA-20 home stereo amp/receiver.

My question is, is the amp failing? Reason I ask is because randomly the left channel will cut out and just crackle until I smack the amp.

Its not lose or bad wires, I have checked/replaced them all.

I have it wired like this..

"Phones" to my computer speakers
"CD/TAPE" from my PC and I use the RCA "TAPE" output to a Fisher 300watt amp that runs a 12" car sub.

also, I don't have the problem with the speakers when they are plugged directly into the computer, only when plugged into the STA-20 amp.

mcsoul
04-21-2009, 02:42 PM
if you slap it and it starts working, it's failing.

Scoobydoo
04-21-2009, 06:00 PM
fisher and optimus products...thats the problem

start shopping someplace other than radio shack

Compjake
04-21-2009, 06:07 PM
I got this **** from goodwill both for about $20. its only for ****ing around, not for home entertainment.. that's what my 5.1 is for.

JimJ
04-21-2009, 11:15 PM
Does it have volume controls for each channel? I'd spray DeOxit in all the pots and switches...

Compjake
04-22-2009, 12:21 AM
Nope, both have a volume control that controls both channels at the same time. But they do have a balance control. I don't have any DeOxit, would it be a good idea to just bust out the soldering iron and sweat each solder joint?

I'm normally pretty **** good with electronics but this is one thing that's been f-ing up for a while that I haven't taken the time to fix lol

JimJ
04-22-2009, 03:17 PM
It sounds like you've got a loose connection somewhere, I'd check everything you can see on the left channel.