PDA

View Full Version : only one blown mid???

SWFL
04-20-2009, 12:01 AM
I got a set of comps that are rated for 160rms plus. I wont say what brand due to dont want to bash the company or the dealer who sold them to me for a god price. I love the speakers and they get loud. If the company doesnt take care of me then I will make sure to post how it goes.

Anyway the gains were set correctly and i have the comps which are rated at 165rms per side on a zx850.4 using the 2 front channels so only 175rms per side is what the amp will do. They werent pushed hard and made sure they sounded right and no distortion comming from them and they werent xover low at all. I have been playing them for over prob 9 months with no problems.

Last night all of a sudden the right mid just made a weird sound and the volume on that side was gone it just makes weird noises now and plays music but u can barley hear it so i think its blown. The coils read .8ohms on the dmm so pretty sure its gone. The volume was only on 30 out of 45 when it blew and the right side tweet seems fine as well as the whole left side.

What would cause the mid to blow a faulty crossover for the mid on the xover or what. The mid is a 4ohm mid and reads .8ohms the tinsel leads arent burnt or nothing so it wasnt from too much power or anything like that since i have had no problems from them for a long time

any ideas?

SWFL
04-20-2009, 12:29 AM
anyone find this weird?

okiedokie
04-20-2009, 01:36 AM
have you checked the spider, which i mean is look at the cone & spider to see if they sperated.
yes check your xover. try to swicth mids to see if it's the xover.

it will hep if you could tell what brand & model of your comps.
Are you useing the amp xover or the deck xover??

is your amp your'e useing a Cadence???
Are the RMS 160?? or is 160 Max power on the comps.
try to swicth mids to

SWFL
04-20-2009, 01:56 AM
rms on the comps are 165rms the amp is a kicker 175rms x4@4ohms the spider and the cone are fine. I was thinking about checking the xover but i dont want to blow the other mid. Anyway i can check the xover??

i have the highpass on the HU at 125hz and used the xover on the amp as well all thats fine

okiedokie
04-20-2009, 03:06 AM
try to just use the xover on the deck, dont use the xover on the amp.
turn everything off on the amp.
try to xover your comps maybe around 100hz down to 80hz now.
having them xovered so high you wont have much midbass.
the problem could be with the amp xover or the deck xover.

SWFL
04-20-2009, 10:44 AM
i aint worried about the midbass man i know this lol. Why would you turn everything on the amp off its supposed to be on HP and set the flitler on the amp as well. if it was the amp or the deck xover both mids would blow and tweets not just one mid since its all ran by the same amp and by the same two channels on the amp

SWFL
04-20-2009, 08:56 PM
bump