PDA

View Full Version : Alpine not as loud as factory?

iMSeRiOuS
04-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Is there any reason why my deck would be not as loud as the factory was?

When I have my windows down I can barely even hear words =\

masterbassin
04-18-2009, 09:16 PM
what kind of factory system do you have?

dman4486
04-18-2009, 09:16 PM
gonna need more info about the setup....

iMSeRiOuS
04-18-2009, 09:18 PM
I have an 05 monte carlo

Alpine cda-9813
There is a factory amp it's some sort of panasonic.

my subs and other amp are unhooked but the rca's are still connected to the amp.

dman4486
04-18-2009, 09:19 PM
I have an 05 monte carlo

Alpine cda-9813
There is a factory amp it's some sort of panasonic.

my subs and other amp are unhooked but the rca's are still connected to the amp.

do you have the factory amp running now?

my bet is you think it is but it is not

itsbmw
04-18-2009, 09:20 PM
Sure you don't have monsoon? that **** is a pain to work with. what harness did you use for your radio??

iMSeRiOuS
04-18-2009, 09:21 PM
do you have the factory amp running now?

my bet is you think it is but it is not

How can I tell?

I didn't do the install, some shop kinda ****ed me and toasted my amp.

dman4486
04-18-2009, 09:22 PM
How can I tell?

I didn't do the install, some shop kinda ****ed me and toasted my amp.

I would check to see if they ran speaker wire from the hu to the speakers individually. my guess is they gettofabbed a bypass for the factory amp.

iMSeRiOuS
04-18-2009, 09:23 PM
Sure you don't have monsoon? that **** is a pain to work with. what harness did you use for your radio??

It's a panasonic, no bose speakers just regular ones.

They used a peripheral gm chime module model # GMCO

BeAlLsTaR13
04-18-2009, 09:24 PM
well i know that car has a factory amp, is in the trunk on the top?

if its toasted, that is the reason why your speakers arent as loud as they should be

you may not have the monsoon system, but that car comes stock with an amp with or without monsooon

iMSeRiOuS
04-18-2009, 09:27 PM
I would check to see if they ran speaker wire from the hu to the speakers individually. my guess is they gettofabbed a bypass for the factory amp.

I'll check next time I'm in the trunk, don't wanna rip my dash apart again if I don't have to.

well i know that car has a factory amp, is in the trunk on the top?

if its toasted, that is the reason why your speakers arent as loud as they should be

you may not have the monsoon system, but that car comes stock with an amp with or without monsooon

yeah the factory amp is a panasonic.

they toasted my bd1000 which is why I unhooked the power supply to it.

vellocet
04-18-2009, 09:27 PM
You paid the shop for an install take the stuff back and insist they fix it.
It's a Lot cheaper to do this stuff yourself and not hard to learn. Have you talked to the shop?

iMSeRiOuS
04-18-2009, 09:29 PM
You paid the shop for an install take the stuff back and insist they fix it.
It's a Lot cheaper to do this stuff yourself and not hard to learn. Have you talked to the shop?

well first my amp cut out, then I brought it back to them, that is when they toasted the amp. They tried blaming my equipment and they really ain't going to do anything to help me.

vellocet
04-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Buy another amp then.

BeAlLsTaR13
04-18-2009, 09:30 PM
I'll check next time I'm in the trunk, don't wanna rip my dash apart again if I don't have to.

yeah the factory amp is a panasonic.

they toasted my bd1000 which is why I unhooked the power supply to it.

oh i thought you meant they toasted your factory amp

if they blew out one of your amps.. they should be help responsable..

id contact them and get them to fix your stereo and replace your amp :D

iMSeRiOuS
04-18-2009, 09:32 PM
oh i thought you meant they toasted your factory amp

if they blew out one of your amps.. they should be help responsable..

id contact them and get them to fix your stereo and replace your amp :D

Already tried, they blamed my subs for toasting my amp. They would take no responsibility at all.

BeAlLsTaR13
04-18-2009, 09:32 PM
Already tried, they blamed my subs for toasting my amp. They would take no responsibility at all.

what kinda subs are they?

iMSeRiOuS
04-18-2009, 09:34 PM
what kinda subs are they?

2 12" eclipse sw8122dvc

they said they gave off "unstable ohms"

dman4486
04-18-2009, 09:36 PM
2 12" eclipse sw8122dvc

lulz...that is bullshit

BeAlLsTaR13
04-18-2009, 09:37 PM
2 12" eclipse sw8122dvc

well.. you said you had two right? and arent those subs each 4 ohm dual voice coil? and how did you have them wired? coulda ran @ 1 ohm, or 4 ohms.. and your bd1000 is only stable @ 2 ohms... and if you had them wired down to 1 ohm on a 2 ohm stable amp.. that coulda affected it

but unstable ohms? lol..
whats a stable ohm then.. :/

iMSeRiOuS
04-18-2009, 09:37 PM
yup yes it is... so I just decided to just say **** it, I got my 0 gauge ran so I'll figure something out.

So in the mean time is there anything "I" can do to get more sound out of my factory speakers?

iMSeRiOuS
04-18-2009, 09:39 PM
well.. you said you had two right? and arent those subs each 4 ohm dual voice coil? and how did you have them wired? coulda ran @ 1 ohm, or 4 ohms.. and your bd1000 is only stable @ 2 ohms... and if you had them wired down to 1 ohm on a 2 ohm stable amp.. that coulda affected it

but unstable ohms? lol..
whats a stable ohm then.. :/

I had them wired parallel in the box

BeAlLsTaR13
04-18-2009, 09:39 PM
yup yes it is... so I just decided to just say **** it, I got my 0 gauge ran so I'll figure something out.

So in the mean time is there anything "I" can do to get more sound out of my factory speakers?

yeah, go to the shop and tell them they fooked your factory speakers

I had them wired parallel in the box

2 4 ohm dvc subs wired parallel = 1 ohm load.

iMSeRiOuS
04-18-2009, 09:42 PM
yeah, go to the shop and tell them they fooked your factory speakers

2 4 ohm dvc subs wired parallel = 1 ohm load.

is that not good? lol

BeAlLsTaR13
04-18-2009, 09:43 PM
is that not good? lol

well.. if you wired a 1 ohm load onto an amp that is only down to 2 ohm stable, eventually your amp would eventually shut off after it gets to too high of a volume.. most of the time

but how long is the sub/amp combo?

dman4486
04-18-2009, 09:43 PM
is that not good? lol

if the amp truly can not handle 1ohm, then it will get a hot and go into protect.

have you tested the coils yourself to see what their true resistance is?

iMSeRiOuS
04-18-2009, 09:47 PM
well.. if you wired a 1 ohm load onto an amp that is only down to 2 ohm stable, eventually your amp would eventually shut off after it gets to too high of a volume.. most of the time

but how long is the sub/amp combo?I've had the same amp deck and subs and even the power wire for several years. This is the second car the setup has been in.

Yeah I had to turn the bass down so the subs didn't cut out but they just cut off and never came back on that's when I returned to the shop.

if the amp truly can not handle 1ohm, then it will get a hot and go into protect.

have you tested the coils yourself to see what their true resistance is? I tried hooking it up the other day and one of my subs just ballooned.

Um I don't know how to test the coils? But what can I figure out by doing so

BeAlLsTaR13
04-18-2009, 09:49 PM
I've had the same amp deck and subs and even the power wire for several years. This is the second car the setup has been in.

Yeah I had to turn the bass down so the subs didn't cut out but they just cut off and never came back on that's when I returned to the shop.

I tried hooking it up the other day and one of my subs just ballooned.

Um I don't know how to test the coils? But what can I figure out by doing so

get a DMM, set it to ohms and just put the pos on the pos terminal of the subs and neg on the negative terminals on the sub

all multi-meters have the ohms option wether it be digital or not, digital is prolly the best way to go as far as looking at ohms go.

iMSeRiOuS
04-18-2009, 09:52 PM
price and where can I get one?

there are two +/- +/- terminals on the sub. Or could I go from the terminal outside the box?

BeAlLsTaR13
04-18-2009, 09:54 PM
price and where can I get one?

there are two +/- +/- terminals on the sub. Or could I go from the terminal outside the box?

you can just put it into just one of them to see the exact ohms of one terminal.. should be the same for the other.. or you could just check it outside the box.. it should give you the total ohms you ended up with that the amp is reading

and you can get one for like 15-20 bucks at wal-mart or radioshack.

just an fyi.. dont put the option on "ohms" if your checking voltage, you'll blow the meter's fuse.

iMSeRiOuS
04-18-2009, 09:57 PM
If I wired the subs in series would that make them work again? I know the subs are not blown, not sure exactly about the amp, the fuse was smoking it got so hot.

BeAlLsTaR13
04-18-2009, 09:59 PM
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=42

series wiring, second option.. will show the amp 4 ohms, should work.. but wont get as much power from the amp.

iMSeRiOuS
04-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Sounds good. I'll hook everything back up tomorrow and see what happens.

this kinda went off topic... So there is nothing I can do to get the full sound from my factory speakers?

Justin89T
04-18-2009, 11:05 PM
wow. surprised no one has given him the answer yet.

You say you have RCA inputs to your factory amp right? They'd be green, grey, white and purple. So instead of using the high level outputs (speaker wires) you're using the low level outputs (RCAs)

Just for demonstrations sake we'll say your aftermarket deck has 4v pre outs (RCA) and 15 volt outputs (Speaker Wire)

If your FACTORY head unit was putting out 10 volts to the amp, that would explain why your sound doesn't have the volume it used to.

Try wiring the speaker wires into the harness instead of the pre-outs and see what happens.

iMSeRiOuS
04-19-2009, 12:01 AM
wow. surprised no one has given him the answer yet.

You say you have RCA inputs to your factory amp right? They'd be green, grey, white and purple. So instead of using the high level outputs (speaker wires) you're using the low level outputs (RCAs)

Just for demonstrations sake we'll say your aftermarket deck has 4v pre outs (RCA) and 15 volt outputs (Speaker Wire)

If your FACTORY head unit was putting out 10 volts to the amp, that would explain why your sound doesn't have the volume it used to.

Try wiring the speaker wires into the harness instead of the pre-outs and see what happens.

no, rca's are for the bd1000
not sure if they ran anything to the factory amp?

my original question was what would be the reason for the lack of sound and it kinda went another way but yeah...

Justin89T
04-19-2009, 02:05 PM
no, rca's are for the bd1000
not sure if they ran anything to the factory amp?

my original question was what would be the reason for the lack of sound and it kinda went another way but yeah...

Well they either used the factory amp or they ran totally new wires. With an amp that can be used it would be stupid to run new wires.

Figure that out and then you can find your answer as to why the volume is not as it was before.

iMSeRiOuS
04-19-2009, 02:35 PM
Well they either used the factory amp or they ran totally new wires. With an amp that can be used it would be stupid to run new wires.

Figure that out and then you can find your answer as to why the volume is not as it was before.
I just went outside and popped my trunk.

Looks like no new wires ran to the factory amp or the speakers.

I really would like to not have to rip apart the dash, but I might to get a better idea of what they did or didn't do.:crap:

Justin89T
04-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Can't help you any farther until you figure out what they did.

I bet they just ran either RCA's or High Level outputs into the amp. I've done both before.

If they used a bose adapter then that would explain why they used the RCA outputs but the bose amp and the amp you have are different. The amp you have can be fired directly into with the high level outs.

iMSeRiOuS
04-20-2009, 12:16 AM
I don't think they didn't either...

I don't know for sure yet (have not took deck out) but I think they just wired the harness to the deck and that's it.

If i have time before college tomorrow I'll find out