PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of going bandpass......any help??

Fuknmovin
04-17-2009, 06:50 PM
Hey all, I have been thinking about what could get the loudest in my truck as they seem to be a little difficult to get good and loud. I have been thinking of replacing my ported box with a bandpass, fourth or maybe 6th order but I am not sure how to design it for max SPL on MUSIC mostly rap/Hip-Hop a little rock. I really want a sound similar to my brother in laws car an Escalade SUV with 2 Death Penalty 18's on 6K watts (Obviously I can't get there from here but how close can I get is the question) but I like the tuning he has @ 32Hz, anybody think the bandpass would help me get there or just try a new ported box, I have up to 4K watts available and an HDC315 with the aluminum coil. Truck is a crew cab 4 door version Chevy Silverado Duramax....

Thanks!
-Movin..

Fuknmovin
04-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Nobody want to try?

sound_around
04-17-2009, 08:31 PM
spl bandpasses have a steep spike,not really good for daily music.

you could download winisd and play around with it see if its what you really want...

RidnClean
04-17-2009, 08:34 PM
i dont think you'll need 4k.

Fuknmovin
04-17-2009, 08:54 PM
what about the people that say if its designed right it can sound clean on music? Seems like I saw a post by 80 inches that said that??

icweiner
04-17-2009, 09:07 PM
a proper ported box should be loud..... try sub forward port to the pass side 4 cubes with 80 inches of port tuned to 36 hz. double baffle the front and brace all the sides. if that isnt loud then idk wut would be :crap:

04-17-2009, 09:08 PM
you have to custom design the box around your sub or it wont be as loud as even sealed and can tear your sub apart. been there and done that and those Q-logic ones wont be good at all less your subs specs happen to match it perfectly despite its tuning chart. been there too and sealed was louder by comparison cause box size didnt match subs, so i ditched it.
Q-logics ports rattle too btw just in case your thinkn about it, they require dynomax around the port.

properly done its really loud in a narrow range, sounds very boomy and inaccurate, check out some bandpass calculators online and build your own.

Fuknmovin
04-17-2009, 09:29 PM
a proper ported box should be loud..... try sub forward port to the pass side 4 cubes with 80 inches of port tuned to 36 hz. double baffle the front and brace all the sides. if that isnt loud then idk wut would be :crap:

Really, port to the passenger side? I have heard the driver is loudest, I have the materials to build an aero port box to the 34Hz range and enough port to do 4 4"ers do you think that will do good? Right now I am at 40Hz with 3 4"ers and 4.3 cubes sub up at a 45* angle and its good but not great with 3500 watts checked with a DMM...

I like the port to the pass better as it would allow me to re install half of my rear seat assy, think thats what I should do?

mattxc
04-17-2009, 09:36 PM
is that an hdc3? 34hz is kinda low for that driver, isnt it?

Fuknmovin
04-17-2009, 10:01 PM
Why do you say that, the 38 Hz they recommend is just a recommendation for SPL comps I thought.

icweiner
04-18-2009, 01:31 AM
Really, port to the passenger side? I have heard the driver is loudest, I have the materials to build an aero port box to the 34Hz range and enough port to do 4 4"ers do you think that will do good? Right now I am at 40Hz with 3 4"ers and 4.3 cubes sub up at a 45* angle and its good but not great with 3500 watts checked with a DMM...

I like the port to the pass better as it would allow me to re install half of my rear seat assy, think thats what I should do?

port driver is louder legal because the side opposite the port is the loudest and thats where the meter is "legally" itll be louder to the ear on the pass and do sub forward. ive seen alot of setups like that and they were LOUD. yea id do 36 hz 34 is to low for those subs. try 4 cubes at 36 and if u want it higher u can always shorten the ports :)

also are u usin aeros or pvc? if ur using pvc i would just use a reinforced 8" sono tube. no port noise out of those and very cheap :D

Fuknmovin
04-18-2009, 10:55 AM
Cool, thanks I think I will give it a try, I'll post my results!