PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse CD7200 MK II - USB or iPod?

"that boy asad"
04-16-2009, 04:12 AM
What is better in function, speed, and sound quality... to put music on to a usb flash drive or connect an ipod using the adapter?

Team OSC SVT
04-16-2009, 04:20 AM
I have this unit and I actually use both. I just got the ipod adapter hooked up a few nights ago and was dissappointed because it wont charge my 4th gen nano. If you have an ipod earlier than that you will be fine cause it does play and charge my wifes 3rd gen nano. bad thing is I tried to put the itunes files on my flash drive and it wont play them I guess it isnt a compatible file. really depends on what you want to use or spend the money on. usb is going to be cheaper cause all you need to get is a flash drive and load it. need an ipod and to buy the adapter to use it and charge etc. personal pref really i guess. I noticed no sq differences in either.

macq32
04-16-2009, 03:21 PM
No difference in my kenwood, a big ipod will dominate the flash drive as far as storage goes. I don't know for sure but I dont think an external hard drive will work with the eclipse

sarge_in
04-16-2009, 07:31 PM
I have thought about this as well, and wondered whether the fact that if USB is used, the HU will have to render the songs using its internal DAC, while if the iPod is used and the connections are analog it will be using iPod's (perhaps slightly inferior?) DAC?

Besides, there are other features to consider, such as playlists, videos etc. iPods can do these in most cases in new HU's, while USB may not.

In fact, I am surprised why USB (or SD) can't be used to play videos - I have seen cheap HU such as DP(?) from Frys be able to run mpg from SD/USB, but the top manufacturers (Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer, Eclipse) not able to do this. Would love to know I am wrong, if I am! Same issue with MP4s, they are as ubiquitous as Divx these days, yet very few HU support that (I think Valor does). I have a bunch of MP4 that I would rather not convert to Divx just for the car. Oh well..

"that boy asad"
04-17-2009, 03:00 AM
I also had one more question:

Since im considering on getting the Eclipse CD7200, it has an 8v preout and I will be connecting it to an Audison LRx 5.1k - which the gain level is up to 5v... Will i have any problems of clipping, distortion, or even damaging the amp?