PDA

View Full Version : New passives or active?

dsuperbeat
04-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Ok I my front stage just isnt loud enough. Right now i have 150w going to it from a cadence TXA-3004 (http://www.cadencestore.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=125&idproduct=383). My front stage consisits of VC100's and ID OEM's running off the vc passives. When I play music loud the tweets turn off and the mids continue to sound ok.

I wanted to know if I got better passives would my tweeters stop doing this or should I just go active because I still want to be able to bridge my amp so I could get good power to the mids.

If active is the way to go whats a good budget active hu( College and car audio is killing my pockets)

Jeremy M
04-15-2009, 08:18 PM
what deck do u have that will allow u to go active?

dsuperbeat
04-15-2009, 08:26 PM
i dont have one now but thinking about getting a Clarion DXZ785USB

tez4life
04-15-2009, 08:37 PM
I had a similar issue with the VC100s and ID Oems, when I ran them passives with the the VCs crossovers, I think its something like a protection circuit for the tweeters.

It sounds like you have a solid plan, the Clarion would work well for what you want to do.

I would keep your current amp and use it bridged to push the ID oems, and pick up a used 2 channel amp from the classified section to push your tweeters, somethng around 75 to 100w RMS.

From personal experence with the combo, and have done the same thing, you will notice a very large difference in both the sound and output.

James Bang
04-15-2009, 08:38 PM
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398166

dsuperbeat
04-15-2009, 08:45 PM
thanks tez that seems like what I'm doing. I really need another job...smh

and to james I want to go active because I can get louder and sound better than the passive i have now. That good enough?

tez4life
04-15-2009, 08:58 PM
thanks tez that seems like what I'm doing. I really need another job...smh

and to james I want to go active because I can get louder and sound better than the passive i have now. That good enough?

I hear ya man, same here so I can make something happen. I really liked that combo when I switched to running the set active and could play around with where I crossed them over at. Plus that tweeter protection was really getting on my nerves :verymad:

Combo sounded amazing together, im sure with that power, you will be very happy.

dsuperbeat
04-15-2009, 09:01 PM
are there any really small 2ch you would recommend. space is kinda precious in my rsx

tez4life
04-15-2009, 09:07 PM
are there any really small 2ch you would recommend

Not really, as long as it does rated power, any will do. For example, I had an Orion 4002 pushing my VC100s (100w x 2 @ 4ohm) because I already had the amp. Push the tweeters very well IMO, but anything with around that output or a little less is fine. Just search the classified section for something within your budget. You could even get another Cadance amp similar to your current one (2 channel of course) to match up with it. But it reallly doesnt matter.

Just to give you an example, I was using the Orion on the VCs, a Rockford Fosgate 25 to Life Punch 150 on the IDs, and a external Memphis X03 crossover to split the signal. Sounded wonderful, hate amp got stolen, and had to sell my IDs.