PDA

View Full Version : help with cutting

taintedplay
04-15-2009, 10:04 AM
ok, i got all the big boards cut, and glued on the bottom piece. one of the inside port wall is ~2/8ths to short hieght wise (forgot to account for blade thickness), should i just get a small piece of mdf and glue it on the inside(not in the port) to close it up?

also, i have two top sheets cut becuase the subs are going to be flush mounted, do you guys cut them after you glue them together? or seperately. what bit do you use with a handheld router?

sorry for the questions, just learning on making boxes

Bender.
04-15-2009, 10:10 AM
seperately...a blade is not 2/8 in thick...you messed up somewhere else

edit: plunge bit...this type of bit...just make sure you get the right shank size...http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=29287-353-85265MC&lpage=none

fshanda
04-15-2009, 10:15 AM
If you have more wood just cut another piece, the easiest thing to do.
2/8ths = 1/4 but normally blades are 1/8"
You can glue a strip on there if you want, use good carpenters wood glue. If you have to screw thru that strip pre-drill first.

psych0ticnemes1
04-15-2009, 12:00 PM
seperately...a blade is not 2/8 in thick...you messed up somewhere else

edit: plunge bit...this type of bit...just make sure you get the right shank size...http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=29287-353-85265MC&lpage=none

Just to clarify, you don't need a 3/4" inch bit to cut subwoofer holes. 1/2" will work fine and are cheaper, as long as the blade itself is at least 3/4" long.

Also, most routers accept a 1/4" shank but 1/2" shanks are common as well. Like stated above, make sure which your router accepts.

taintedplay
04-15-2009, 12:52 PM
whoops yea i meant 2 16ths. so 1/8th. i have a strip of mdf but its like 3/4ths of an inch deep. how could i shave that down smaller?

IDSkoT
04-15-2009, 12:53 PM
ok, i got all the big boards cut, and glued on the bottom piece. one of the inside port wall is ~2/8ths to short hieght wise (forgot to account for blade thickness), should i just get a small piece of mdf and glue it on the inside(not in the port) to close it up?

also, i have two top sheets cut becuase the subs are going to be flush mounted, do you guys cut them after you glue them together? or seperately. what bit do you use with a handheld router?

sorry for the questions, just learning on making boxes

Need help with cutting?

Down the street, not across the lane. :fyi:

Bender.
04-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Just to clarify, you don't need a 3/4" inch bit to cut subwoofer holes. 1/2" will work fine and are cheaper, as long as the blade itself is at least 3/4" long.

Also, most routers accept a 1/4" shank but 1/2" shanks are common as well. Like stated above, make sure which your router accepts.

i was in a hurry and just clicked the first one i saw to give him an idea...smaller will always be better when cutting holes because there will be less cutting edge hence less resistance

taintedplay
04-15-2009, 04:11 PM
whoops yea i meant 2 16ths. so 1/8th. i have a strip of mdf but its like 3/4ths of an inch deep. how could i shave that down smaller?

bonesninja
04-15-2009, 04:13 PM
i use 1/4" spiral upcuts........