PDA

View Full Version : Remote Start install confusion

edzy
04-12-2009, 09:11 PM
I'm having a remote start installed in my 2006 dodge magnum. Now the guy is saying I need a second key. All I have now is a single key with the remote lock/unlock feature. So what kind of key do i need? Do I need the type that has the unlock/lock feature? or just a transponder key, Or just a key that unlocks the doors and starts the car?

So do I need a factory programmed remote key. $200 ish
A transponder key with no remote, but unlocks the car and starts it? $30ish
Or a electronic key with the remote unlock/lock feature, but does not work on the locks?
I have an extra factory remote key. Can I have that reprogrammed and install that into a new blank case and have it cut to work? $30 for case.

Very confusing.

Also I was told I need a thing that the key will stay in under the dash? Whats that about?

Maybe try another install place?
And what would you expect it to cost ball park? $250 +/- $50

Differant types of keys I looked at.

The case only.
https://www.ikeyless.com/dodge/magnum/2006/magnum/keycase_shell_and_keyblade_only_2006_dodge_magnum

Transponder key
http://www.remotesandkeys.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CK692352

Factory replacement, Which will need to be cut and programmed.
http://www.keylessride.com/order/quote.asp?lbfix=yes&make=Dodge&remoteyear=2006&model=Magnum&frid=44E75D09

And also have a factory one that I got from a adealer tht doesnt work remote or cut wise.

Thanks.

jdawg
04-12-2009, 09:13 PM
did you get a factory remote start?

edzy
04-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Havent got anything yet.
I read that the factory one was not as good as aftermarket one. but then read they were.
and should I go factory or aftermarket?

jdawg
04-12-2009, 10:00 PM
I would do factory, or pay for a good full alarm install at a shop, we used to get those cheesy best buy jobs in all the time at the dealership, even with the spare programmed key under the dash they ****** and didnt work. Most people would take them back and get their money back and we would put a factory one in.

edzy
04-12-2009, 10:08 PM
ic. Well, I will check the dealer tomorrow. dont need the alarm, just the remote start, but if its included in the package for a few bucks more, what the hell.
Thanks dawg

jdawg
04-12-2009, 10:12 PM
i meant just get the factory remote start if thats all you want, they work the best. I worked at chrysler dealers for 10 years. I seen a bunch of those cheapie remote start kits that just **** up. We had one that somehow erased the key under the dash and the one in the ignition. Thats lady was pissed lol.Her car shut off while driving and had to get it towed in. Or go all out and get a quality alarm at a stereo shop.

SubNoize05
04-12-2009, 10:13 PM
The ignition needs the key hidn in a module under the dash so that it can see the chip to start the vehicle. Otherwise youll never be able to start it. There not screwn ya its the truth

SubNoize05
04-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Factory remote starts are pointless. The range is like 50 - 90 feet. By the time it starts youll be at the door

jdawg
04-12-2009, 10:16 PM
Factory remote starts are pointless. The range is like 50 - 90 feet. By the time it starts youll be at the door

:rolleyes:

my dad has an 08 wrangler, it starts about a football field away

SubNoize05
04-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Maybe in a wide open area.... Not in the middle of town to much interference. My viper starts 1mile away in a wide open area. Maybe 1500ft in city

jdawg
04-12-2009, 10:20 PM
honestly why do you need to start your car that far away anyways?

edzy
04-12-2009, 10:23 PM
" i meant just get the factory remote start if thats all you want"
"Or go all out and get a quality alarm at a stereo shop."

'Factory remote starts are pointless. The range is like 50 - 90 feet. By the time it starts youll be at the door"

ok. So I shouldnt get the factory... due to the low range?

And I planned on getting it done at a stereo shop. A decent aftermarket remote start only. But if it includes an alarm, so be it. Money is not an issue, I just want the most reliable remote starter, weather its aftermarket, or dealer.

But I was curious about the extra $150 for bypass key modual transponder ****. And if it was needed. But since they sell it, then it must be needed.
But is it the key with the door remote? or just a transponder key needed?

ok, you guys posted more **** while I was responding.. So Im back to the dealer one. Its for the wife, so I dont want it messing up.

ABSOLUTEAUDIO
04-12-2009, 10:38 PM
get a omega IM532 bypass kit. Slide the key in it and it will flash the code to a chip and you are set. The box that they are trying to sell you is used to bypass the theft to start the car, but needs a 2nd key to stick in the bypass and leave it in so it can bypass the theft.

edzy
04-12-2009, 11:12 PM
"but needs a 2nd key to stick in the bypass and leave it in so it can bypass the theft.
"

yes, The point of the thread.. What kind of key.

A factory one with the door remote in it.
A transponder type one
A spare non programed one I have that may be reprogrammed and stuck into a blank shell and re cut to fit the doors and ignition.

SRim23
04-12-2009, 11:17 PM

here in ohio remote starts are the greatest thing known to man. nothing like seeing someone scraping ice and snow off their car, and getting into a frozen car in the morning. when i get up and get out to my car all the snow is melted off and its nice and warm inside.....

OP, you just need a key that will start the car. like someone said above it needs to go into the module that will be installed with the remote start.

Ferendon
04-12-2009, 11:52 PM
New Chryslers + remote start = doesn't work too well

The PROPER way to do a bypass on one is to take the WCM apart, and solder onto the PCB, right next to a tiny resistor. That's assuming you can get the PCB with breaking the stem off of the ring. The stem has only a couple of small strands of wire running though it, which are super fragile. Trust me, I've broken one. It was over $400 to get the part, I installed it, and they it was another $65 for programming. And that's at commercial cost.

x1le
04-12-2009, 11:58 PM
"but needs a 2nd key to stick in the bypass and leave it in so it can bypass the theft.
"

yes, The point of the thread.. What kind of key.

A factory one with the door remote in it.
A transponder type one
A spare non programed one I have that may be reprogrammed and stuck into a blank shell and re cut to fit the doors and ignition.

All you need is a key that will start your car. Nothing else. Most people use their valet key for this.

And when it comes to remote starts. Aftermarket > OEM alllllll dayyyyyy,

THUNDERBIRD
04-13-2009, 07:14 PM
2 keys are needed for the data bypass.

edzy
04-19-2009, 11:25 PM
I got it installed, and just need to get a key now. Found one on ebay for 15 shipped. Its a blank transponder key. Now i gotta take it to a lock place, have it cut and coded, then go back to my install guy and have it finnished. What a pita. At least now that I have 2 keys, I can make copies...

Side note. Ive read some ppl just tape a key up under the dash near the ignition, then just use regular, non transponder keys. Sounds kinda risky for theft.