PDA

View Full Version : how to make componets

99concorde
09-12-2003, 10:57 PM
i just purchased a pair of re 8s i want to use for componets. what tweeters would u recommend. i want titanium i think. also where can i get crossovers for them.

b0mbrman
09-15-2003, 09:46 AM
Since they're subwoofers, they probably don't have much in the way of midrange (especially if you're mounting them in the doors) so expect to cross the tweeters very low.

I'd recommend adding a 5.25" mid to bridge the gap but if you're stuck on a two-way, I think your best bet would be to look into a full-range 2" or 3" (Tang Band and Fostex are my favorites) though you might also try LPG's 51AT (There's your titanium ;))

You can give the specs to madisound.com and see if they'll make a crossover for you, or you could design your own but as the upper end of the RE8's response might be very unpredictable, I'd strongly recommend going active

99concorde
09-16-2003, 12:11 AM
not quite sure what you mean. im new to components and car audio in general. ive been reading on the board and everyone thinks components are great. so what i was going to do was build a kick panel for the eight and tweeter and try to buy a crossover. i really wouldnt know how to build a crossover. the guy at a local car audio shop said i should use capacitors? whatever that means. where can i find those tweeters you listed.what does active mean.

zephyr
09-18-2003, 03:23 PM
component system consists of midrange and tweeter; plus midbass ina 3-way set. re8 is more of a midbass/sub driver. it doesn't play higher frequencies very well. therefore you need a midrange and tweeter to go with it. since you are building a custom component, it is better to go with an active crossover. so you can adjust the crossover frequency to the best point. if you want to build passive crossover, you can go to www.madisound.com or www.speakercity.com and have them build it for you. all you have to do is give the driver specs to them. they will determine the best xover point and slope. to buy those tweeters listed above, go to www.partsexpress.com

b0mbrman
09-23-2003, 09:42 AM
not quite sure what you mean. im new to components and car audio in general. ive been reading on the board and everyone thinks components are great. so what i was going to do was build a kick panel for the eight and tweeter and try to buy a crossover. i really wouldnt know how to build a crossover. the guy at a local car audio shop said i should use capacitors? whatever that means. where can i find those tweeters you listed.what does active mean.The LPG is at madisound and the Tang Band is at partsexpress.com (or nuera-acoustic.ca)

To go active, you need an amp with HP/LP filters. Connect the tweeters to the front channels and the mids (in this case, your RE8's) to the rears and play with the crossover till it sounds right.