PDA

View Full Version : Hey Box Builders!

WrenchGuy
04-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Does it pay the bills?

It seems like a cut throat business sorta.

I mean does it come down to build quality or design? I wanna say build quality cuz I can buy plans from "anywhere".

It was just on my mind and I'm laid off...lol

ls2poweredgoat
04-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Do what I do, sleep with some ***** at a shipping place and she'll give you shipping cost AT cost.

psych0ticnemes1
04-10-2009, 11:05 AM
I doubt it'll pay the bills but it is a nice side hobby.

kmanian
04-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Well if you take the fact that you will have $35-50 into materials for a typical box, and you can sell it for 125-150 your time is worth 100. If you have all the tools already and the shop to do it in, it is a little extra cash, but if you habe to buy tools or set up in your garage and break it all down everytime you make one, meh I wouldn't say it is worth it. Then you have to box it up and ship it. More time Plus your going head to head with some pretty well established very skilled guys.

good luck if you decide to do it, hell at least your not simply giving up!

mlstrass
04-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Good hobby, poor career choice....

WrenchGuy
04-10-2009, 11:25 AM

Lol...I didn't look career deep man.

I figure it has to be some decent money on the side. Is it more of a weekend thing or is it a box everyday after work or something?

Here we go........Is box building funding your car audio habit?! That would be cherry for me.

James Bang
04-10-2009, 11:29 AM
hi.

does not pay bills
pays gas
and gives you left over wood for your little side projects.

steveBeatz
04-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Gives me some nice side money:)

fasfocus00
04-10-2009, 11:33 AM
if you live at home with mom, it'll pay your bills. fun to do if you know what you're doing and if you like learning. if you have sinus issues or allergies it *****. if you want to do something that makes money, i'd have to say learn how to do alarms and fiberglass work. but there are many ways to make money but if you're unestablished or new, good luck. name goes along way.

iamamp3pimp
04-10-2009, 11:41 AM

x2 for sure

iamamp3pimp
04-10-2009, 11:42 AM
im thinking of getting back into it.....had fun working on the malibu

James Bang
04-10-2009, 11:46 AM
if you rip people off like tcab the it can be good money.

some stupid people are willing to pay a good amount for hyped up boxes

Goldtaz1
04-10-2009, 11:48 AM

x20. I make enough to finance my endless obsession with car audio. All of the money I make from Car Audio goes into a "special account". From this account I pay all of my costs. As I accumulate funds, I apply them towards my new projects. Sometimes I do extra special things if the money is good enough. Last year was a great year for me so I purchased a $4,000 upgrade on my wife's wedding rings.

mlstrass
04-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Also if you start doing any kind of volume work then wear and tear on your tools is a consideration. Upcut spirals aren't cheap and MDF kills them in a hurry, same with a good table saw blade.

I'll stick to reffing ice hockey @ $30-40 an hour...

bjfish11
04-10-2009, 01:09 PM
The easy answer is no. Could it? Possibly, just depends on what kind of volume you can sell and how efficient you can be....

Personally, if I could stay busy for 8-9 hrs a day, I could pay the bills with it, because Im pretty efficient Id say. Only problem is, it would take close to 1000 boxes per year to keep me that busy.

bonesninja
04-10-2009, 02:41 PM
it puts gas in my car....thats about it. I could easily make that by selling plasma or by working one hour of extra overtime at work each week

James Bang
04-10-2009, 02:43 PM
Not too many repeat customers... the boxes I build lasts forever:p:

bonesninja
04-10-2009, 02:44 PM

i only build mine to last a couple weeks so they keep coming back

lilmaniac2
04-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Not worth it, I did it for a while, too much competition. For the price BJ builds a box I couldn't come close to building something as nice as him. So I gave up.

If you wanna make a living, get a real job

James Bang
04-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Not worth it, I did it for a while, too much competition. For the price BJ builds a box I couldn't come close to building something as nice as him. So I gave up.

If you wanna make a living, get a real job

yeah.. that a-hole. took all the customers with his nice workshop and trulite mdf, or whatever it's called. and ships too. f-that. no shipping boxes for me. unless it's a puny sealed.

Pioneer~Saturn
04-10-2009, 02:50 PM
If you already have the facilities, yes...it'll get you a little extra cash for something fun to do for people...but if you have to rent out somewhere (like me) then it's much less profitable because youre already down 'X' amount at the start of the month :(

lilmaniac2
04-10-2009, 02:51 PM
yeah.. that a-hole. took all the customers with his nice workshop and trulite mdf, or whatever it's called. and ships too. f-that. no shipping boxes for me. unless it's a puny sealed.

lol fa sho. Thats why i just recommend everyone to him now lol

squeak12
04-10-2009, 03:03 PM
You could make money selling locally just because your boxes will be $20-$40 cheaper due to no shipping cost and exponentially cheaper than audio shops. It still isn't going to pay the bills, though. I just got tired of pulling all the tools out to get covered in dust, and then carrying the heavy SOB to the store to ship it. It was fun while it lasted, and I will still build them for friends, but I don't make much money off of them anyways.

James Bang
04-10-2009, 03:12 PM
You could make money selling locally just because your boxes will be $20-$40 cheaper due to no shipping cost and exponentially cheaper than audio shops. It still isn't going to pay the bills, though. I just got tired of pulling all the tools out to get covered in dust, and then carrying the heavy SOB to the store to ship it. It was fun while it lasted, and I will still build them for friends, but I don't make much money off of them anyways.

Yup, I do enjoy building enclosures from time to time, but doing it constant takes the joy away from it. The profit isn't worth all the work, also, imo.

mlstrass
04-10-2009, 03:17 PM

Maybe the boxes just **** so bad that they never come back :eek: :D

I do agree on the profit not really being worth the effort. You have to enjoy woodworking and just getting out in the garage. I'm an IT guy during the day and stuck at a desk, so I like the escape, but I sure wouldn't want to do it every day...

skadude016
04-10-2009, 03:17 PM
pays for gas and me and my lady to go out to eat but thats about it. I do it more for the enjoyment.

bjfish11
04-10-2009, 03:33 PM

I actually get A LOT of repeat customers. Not to get the exact same box again, of course. ;) But when they change setups. I have a few customers I have done more than 4 for over the years.

bonesninja
04-10-2009, 03:41 PM
I actually get A LOT of repeat customers. Not to get the exact same box again, of course. ;) But when they change setups. I have a few customers I have done more than 4 for over the years.

i also have many repeat customers.....one dude bought 3, white Ice is on his 4th now, doing a 2nd box for the "DD" box guy, had a few more also

James Bang
04-10-2009, 03:43 PM
3... 4... i don't consider a lot. in terms of enclosures that's okay, but it's not like someone coming in for a haircut every week or two.

ughhibye
04-10-2009, 03:49 PM
i just get my business by word of mouth and i could definently live on what it brings in if i was single but not with my two kids. but of course i stopped advertising

bonesninja
04-10-2009, 04:38 PM
3... 4... i don't consider a lot. in terms of enclosures that's okay, but it's not like someone coming in for a haircut every week or two.

ok then....i also build for a few local shops...4-5 per week

James Bang
04-10-2009, 04:42 PM
ok then....i also build for a few local shops...4-5 per week

i was talking about repeat customers

w/ that number of customers per week, do you use a brad nailer?

bonesninja
04-10-2009, 04:45 PM
i was talking about repeat customers

w/ that number of customers per week, do you use a brad nailer?

nope...pre-drill, countersink, screw

been thinking of getting a nailer/stapler tho

James Bang
04-10-2009, 04:50 PM
nope...pre-drill, countersink, screw

been thinking of getting a nailer/stapler tho

I've always used screws, too.

I haven't built an enclosure since i got my little compressor w/ a finishing nailer.. but I'm not sure if it'll do too well. Those nails didn't hold to well w/ my little mdf projects. not like how it would be w/ screws and clamps.

da box king
04-10-2009, 04:53 PM
It pretty much just puts extra cash in my pocket. I enjoy doin it, but sometimes the profit isn't worth the work.

On top of that you get the cheap *** kids, and they don't want to pay up. I spend 4-5 hours on a bare box, and $30 is not worth my time...time is money. $125 for a 3 cube tuned to 34 hz, box and carpeted recessed panels, and the guy *****es.

THUMPPER
04-10-2009, 04:58 PM
I don't have a problem paying my bills from building enclosures......

I quit my $60,000 per year welding job over a year ago and I have been working
out of my garage ever since....
it's kinda nice , I spend more time with the wife and kids and I really enjoy what I do

James Bang
04-10-2009, 05:03 PM
anybody i socal wants a box? :)

psych0ticnemes1
04-10-2009, 05:03 PM
I don't have a problem paying my bills from building enclosures......

I quit my $60,000 per year welding job over a year ago and I have been working
out of my garage ever since....
it's kinda nice , I spend more time with the wife and kids and I really enjoy what I do

Do you market over the web or something? It seems like it would be difficult to find enough customers to keep work steady.

THUMPPER
04-10-2009, 05:08 PM
I got more orders than I can possibly handle.....

I even have 3 builds going to Taznania Africa and one to Australia

psych0ticnemes1
04-10-2009, 05:10 PM

That is crazy. How do they get a hold of you? How long have you been doing it?

James Bang
04-10-2009, 05:11 PM

lol

the cost of shipping could probably get them some nice tools.

THUMPPER
04-10-2009, 05:18 PM
That is crazy. How do they get a hold of you? How long have you been doing it?

built my first box back in the mid 1980's

did some nightclub stuff also...and yes I am all over the internet
did a bunch of traveling and planted seeds everywhere I could
I also have some good friends over in Iraq and Afganistan
(us military)....that send friends my way

fasfocus00
04-10-2009, 05:24 PM
It pretty much just puts extra cash in my pocket. I enjoy doin it, but sometimes the profit isn't worth the work.

On top of that you get the cheap *** kids, and they don't want to pay up. I spend 4-5 hours on a bare box, and $30 is not worth my time...time is money. $125 for a 3 cube tuned to 34 hz, box and carpeted recessed panels, and the guy *****es.

that better be a bad *** box to spend more than half a work day. minus cure times I can most fiberglass boxes done faster than that. You should be way faster than that with that sn.

James Bang
04-10-2009, 05:27 PM
that better be a bad *** box to spend more than half a work day. minus cure times I can most fiberglass boxes done faster than that. You should be way faster than that with that sn.

wat

fasfocus00
04-10-2009, 05:32 PM
wat

okay maybe just assembly not finishing. but you get what I mean.

Proximity
04-10-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm thinking about getting the tools to do my own box this summer but it's hard for me to spend a lot of money on tools I might only use once or twice. I was thinking about doing some local box building to offset the cost and make some extra money. Not sure how viable that is though.

I would for sure enjoy it.

James Bang
04-10-2009, 05:44 PM
tablesaw
drill
and a router is all you really need just for enclosures.

They can be used for a lot of other thans other than sub boxes.

bonesninja
04-10-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm thinking about getting the tools to do my own box this summer but it's hard for me to spend a lot of money on tools I might only use once or twice. I was thinking about doing some local box building to offset the cost and make some extra money. Not sure how viable that is though.

i'm not far from you......just let me build it for you

Proximity
04-10-2009, 05:49 PM
i only build mine to last a couple weeks so they keep coming back

:crap:

bonesninja
04-10-2009, 05:50 PM
:crap:

winkwink

Proximity
04-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Yeah I'm kidding. I'll probably give it some good consideration. Or I might hit up a friend of a friend and use his tools.

iamamp3pimp
04-10-2009, 06:01 PM
if i could move mor elocally i would do it.

I know what it takes to do it over the internet, but how do you get that word of mouth out to be the go to guy locally?

James Bang
04-10-2009, 06:03 PM
if i could move mor elocally i would do it.

I know what it takes to do it over the internet, but how do you get that word of mouth out to be the go to guy locally?

local shows might help.

or you can go to small shops that do not build themselves.

bjfish11
04-10-2009, 06:26 PM

Apples to oranges...

If Im a car salesman that sells 3-4 cars to the same guy every year, Im doing something right. However, if Im a barber only cutting 150-200 heads of hair a year, Im looking for a new career. :laugh:

iamamp3pimp
04-10-2009, 06:27 PM
local shows might help.

or you can go to small shops that do not build themselves.

i compete at a lot of them....maybe ill showcase @ the next one, or get cards made...

squeak12
04-10-2009, 08:43 PM
I had stickers that I sent out with boxes with my number on them. You know how kids with systems love to plaster their car with stickers.

snb778
04-10-2009, 08:50 PM
i think after wood, screws,bolts, glue, resin, fiberglass, steel rods, terminals, blades, bits, bondo... it all adds up in the end

kinda like a system... most people start small, then you get bigger... that comes with, more wire, bigger wire, more expensive terminals, bigger batteries, bigger ALT

Mike465
04-10-2009, 09:48 PM
i think after wood, screws,bolts, glue, resin, fiberglass, steel rods, terminals, blades, bits, bondo... it all adds up in the end

kinda like a system... most people start small, then you get bigger... that comes with, more wire, bigger wire, more expensive terminals, bigger batteries, bigger ALT

Well with the materials if you are looking to do it full time then you go and set up dealer acounts with lumber yards, and hard ware manufactures to get very cheap prices on materials.

Box building pays all my bills.

dbeez
04-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Well with the materials if you are looking to do it full time then you go and set up dealer acounts with lumber yards, and hard ware manufactures to get very cheap prices on materials.

Box building pays all my bills.

Yeah but **** you do some **** good work my man..And have a name thats out there really..

bonesninja
04-10-2009, 09:54 PM
i wish my boxes paid the bills.....my payout is around $2200 a month for the bills

99grandprixGT
04-10-2009, 10:01 PM

thats what i did, after the guy that built my first box for 80 dollars is not aroud here any more. so i went out bought the tools and built my box. with me messing up once and having to buy all the tools and **** i ended up spending like 300 to build my **** box:crap: but i guess since that was my first time, but im over it now. its just money.

Mike465
04-10-2009, 10:05 PM
i wish my boxes paid the bills.....my payout is around $2200 a month for the bills

Yeah, I have about half that amount in bills each month so I can see why.

IDSkoT
04-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Does it pay the bills?

It seems like a cut throat business sorta.

I mean does it come down to build quality or design? I wanna say build quality cuz I can buy plans from "anywhere".

It was just on my mind and I'm laid off...lol

Wood is $30 bucks.
Carpet is $30 bucks
Terminal block is $10 bucks.
Shipping is between $50-80 bucks
The average cost for that is about $125 bucks.
No. It doesn't. That's why I haven't even tried.
I can get so much more money just designing rather than building. On average I get maybe $20 bucks per box... MAYBE.

As far as the actual enclosure... it has a lot to do with the design, but even more to do with how accurate it's built according to the design.

IMO: Not worth buying the tools. If you have them, sure, why not? For me it's a hassle. I have to borrow my brother's truck, get the wood, then after I'm done building it, borrow it again to take it to FedEx. And it's just a head ache... for $20 bucks. That's less than 4 hours at minimum wage, and building a box takes longer than that...

bonesninja
04-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Yeah, I have about half that amount in bills each month so I can see why.

lucky for me i make $60k+ at my regular job

squeak12
04-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Wood is $30 bucks.
Carpet is $30 bucks
Terminal block is $10 bucks.
Shipping is between $50-80 bucks
The average cost for that is about $125 bucks.
No. It doesn't. That's why I haven't even tried.
I can get so much more money just designing rather than building. On average I get maybe $20 bucks per box... MAYBE.

As far as the actual enclosure... it has a lot to do with the design, but even more to do with how accurate it's built according to the design.

IMO: Not worth buying the tools. If you have them, sure, why not? For me it's a hassle. I have to borrow my brother's truck, get the wood, then after I'm done building it, borrow it again to take it to FedEx. And it's just a head ache... for $20 bucks. That's less than 4 hours at minimum wage, and building a box takes longer than that...

I haven't built a box in a while, but I wasn't paying near that to build a box.
4x8 Sheet - $20-$25 Usually two pieces for three boxes
Carpet - $10-$20
Terminal Cups - $2 a piece, maybe
A box never cost more than 50 to ship, but shipping has went up. It is on the buyer anyways, though, so it cost me nothing.

So $50 to build a box that I would easily sell for $100+ before shipping. I usually charged about $20-30/ cu. ft. gross.