PDA

View Full Version : Best 6.5 components for $500?!? They will be run active...

Sideways17
04-07-2009, 06:22 PM
I can get the Alpine SPX17Pros for $390. But if I can get another brand that sounds better for SQ I would consider a different route. The doors will be sealed and deadened and this vehicle will compete in Pro-street. Thanks for any suggestions. My cap is $500 for front stage. I want to run the HD 800/5 from JL.

RowJoe
04-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Try auditioning speakers? We can't tell you what's the best, because it's all subjective.

fasfocus00
04-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Try auditioning speakers? We can't tell you what's the best, because it's all subjective.

x's infinity

Haunz
04-07-2009, 06:36 PM
why would you spend the money for components with crossovers when you are going to run them active ?

rusty_armadillo
04-07-2009, 06:39 PM
i have some polk SRs with the bi amplifed Xover so you can run them active like that.

Sideways17
04-07-2009, 06:47 PM
The only shop near my home is limited to Alpine and JL for quality components. I've read about focal and morel but I can't find a dealer relatively close. What's the site where people buy separate woofers and tweets. Is that what you are suggesting? Separate drives and tweeters. I assume it could save a little money...

krisfnbz
04-07-2009, 06:54 PM
MADISOUND.COM AND PARTSEXPRESS.COM and buy DIY drivers.

zaphaudio.com Tweeter mishmatch and driver selection and you CANT go wrong.

If I were you I wouldnt waste my money on very expensive mainstream products. DIY drivers are seriously the way to go.

Sideways17
04-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Thanks guys Ill check it out.

krisfnbz
04-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Seas, Peerless, Usher... Morel.. all GREAT brands to go with and have been tested over and over again from many different people. Many reviews on different drivers and install applications, graphs....

Sideways17
04-07-2009, 07:41 PM
All of those tweeters and 6.5 and 7'' drivers are all for car applications?! Some I've never heard of for cars! All look good though! So this would be the way to go huh?!

LaserRed38
04-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Some kind if Hiquphon tweeters and Scanspeak Mids...

krisfnbz
04-07-2009, 08:11 PM
All of those tweeters and 6.5 and 7'' drivers are all for car applications?! Some I've never heard of for cars! All look good though! So this would be the way to go huh?!

Most of them are 8 ohm speakers, not your "standard" 4 ohm speakers that are found in all of "car audio" speaker sets. However if you will do reading on 8 ohm drivers you will find that their is basically nothing wrong with using an 8 ohm home speaker in a car application. You have to have a bit more power able to power the 8 ohm speakers because they are a bit more hungry, however that usually is the least of your issues.

You can use any of those speakers on that website in car applications, as said the main difference is most of them are typically used in home bookshelf systems etc.

Are you looking to run a 2 way active front or 3 way active front? I would recommend a 2 way active if you have never ran active before.

Will you be using a headunit built in with active capabilities, or will you be using a separate device?

You will find that if you are looking to spend $500 on a pair of mids and tweets, your install must be perfect, or near perfect. First you should completely sound deaden your doors. If you dont know what I am talking about, right there you have alot more to read up on before you buy $500 mids and tweeters.

However if you already know all of that, Depending on what mid you can fit, the Usher 8945P is a BEEFY *** mid, Weighs in at about 6-6.5lbs, the magnet is Huge, Also the Seas Excel w18 is an extremely nice woofer.

krisfnbz
04-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Some kind if Hiquphon tweeters and Scanspeak Mids...

Alot of people seem to compare the Usher 8945P's to scan speakers, for half of the price.

Sideways17
04-07-2009, 08:48 PM
I will have the front doors totally sealed and deadend with 70sq feet of stinger roadkill expert. The HU of choice will be a Alpine 9887 and the amp will be a JL 800/5. Basically a 300/4 and a 500/1..

mcsoul
04-07-2009, 09:34 PM
The Illuminator tweeters I want would eat up $400:crap:

I'm real happy with my 8 ohm mids, I has midbass!

krisfnbz
04-07-2009, 10:41 PM
I will have the front doors totally sealed and deadend with 70sq feet of stinger roadkill expert. The HU of choice will be a Alpine 9887 and the amp will be a JL 800/5. Basically a 300/4 and a 500/1..

Sounds like you have a good base point for a good set of mids and tweeters. Will the tweeters be on axis or off axis? What car is this going in?

I used to own a 9887 before it was stolen, that was a GREAT head unit. Only reason why I didn't buy another one was I couldnt get the same price as I did before when I dealed alpine products.

Sideways17
04-07-2009, 10:58 PM
The tweeters will be on the same plane as the mid. (flush in the door panel, is that on axis?) The vehicle is a 2002 Ford Explorer. I will be running a 13W6v2 off the sub channel sealed in a 1.75 cu ft box.

I will do more research tomorrow and ask for your opinions on some products I find. Im really excited about getting this started. what do you think about that JL amp? The HD 800/5...

krisfnbz
04-07-2009, 11:13 PM
The tweeters will be on the same plane as the mid. (flush in the door panel, is that on axis?) The vehicle is a 2002 Ford Explorer. I will be running a 13W6v2 off the sub channel sealed in a 1.75 cu ft box.

I will do more research tomorrow and ask for your opinions on some products I find. Im really excited about getting this started. what do you think about that JL amp? The HD 800/5...

Pretty much on axis is when the speakers are facing you, and off axis is when they are not. Practically all stock mid locations are off axis, due to the mids facing ankles, or knees, or way down by your foot. With tweeters its a mix. Anythin up in the dash is off axis, anything in the door facing the interior is off axis, anythin in the a pillars facing the interior is off axis... most common tweeter locations.

Not many people have their mids and tweeters on axis, its tougher to do and usually requires modification, fiberglassing etc.

I will help out as much as I can, but by all means I am no expert. I just enjoy reading tons of information. I would say if you can fit a good 7 inch woofer in your door, I would do that. Peerless and Seas are great options.

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1604

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=823

Im tellin you, if you want somethin beefy and actually can FIT this woofer, it is a really really good woofer. Has been tested reat for 2 way active setups.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=296-602

krisfnbz
04-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Welcome to the world of DIYMA!

http://www.diymobileaudio.com

That site is much better than CA.com...seriously.

bigbirney420
04-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Peerless Exclusive 830883 - 7" Woofer

these are great mids for the money especially, and you can mate them with whatever tweeter you want and still be under 400 bucks and sound better that most 500$+ mixed components, except maybe Hybrid.
Look into Morel tweets too

krisfnbz
04-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Peerless Exclusive 830883 - 7" Woofer

these are great mids for the money especially, and you can mate them with whatever tweeter you want and still be under 400 bucks and sound better that most 500$+ mixed components, except maybe Hybrid.
Look into Morel tweets too

Those mids are pretty big though, install is key.

Sideways17
04-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Any other brand recommendations. doing a lot of research today. Gonna look at mids and tweeters.

Any tweeters you guys like. And the best placement of a tweeter? The mid is in factory location aiming at your knees.

James Bang
04-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Welcome to the world of DIYMA!

http://www.diymobileaudio.com

That site is much better than CA.com...seriously.

Stop.

krisfnbz
04-08-2009, 11:29 AM
This message is hidden because James Bang is on your ignore list.

genxx
04-08-2009, 11:40 AM
I think what James is saying is quite sending people to DIYMA that is what is helping get it worse by the day over there.

Fiercetimbo17
04-08-2009, 11:46 AM
I think what James is saying is quite sending people to DIYMA that is what is helping get it worse by the day over there.

Agreed

James Bang
04-08-2009, 11:51 AM

Agreed

Exactly.

Those that do decide to flock over there, I hope they start their threads directly in the YSHSF (you should have searched first) section.

genxx
04-08-2009, 11:51 AM
If you want a car audio brand that will fit your needs and price point I would look at/listen to.
I would do my best to listen to as much stuff as you can before you buy. We all have our opinions on what we like.
I would listen to because I have had or liked them when I heard them.
Hertz HSK
Pioneer 720PRS
HAT Clarus or Legatia
Zapco CK comps
Alpine F1 used drivers only are in your price range if you can find them
Dynaudio
JL C5

For single driver I believe people have already given you some website like madisound, partexpress and there are many other's.

The Dayton drivers are popular due to price. The peerless are hard to beat for the price or at a higher price. Scan, Cquence are great drivers but you are going to have to shell out the cash to get them. Seas but you have to learn the different line. Vifa has some winner's also but also some garbage stuff, same with Tang Band and HiVi.

Zaph is a great place to start and there is another place as well that does some great testing. I will post that site later have to find it again.

Also when you start getting into home oriented drivers which work fine in a car you have to remember than many are 7", large format tweeters ect. so you need to do you research carefully to ensure x will fit.

Search on DIYMA is your friend. 99% of the people that come there can find their answer's without even starting a thread.

99% of the time what happens is people are to lazy and want to be spoon feed. Which now and even in the past creates flaming and hostility.

I really do miss the old DIYMA even if everday was like going in for brain surgery.

speedfreak28
04-08-2009, 11:52 AM
ive been a member there for almost a yr and havent posted yet, most answers can be found with the search button:crazy:

Sideways17
04-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks guys, Im liking some of the morel, peerless and seas mids. Tweeters Im still kinda lost on. I installed for 5 years at a shop and never did any DIY components but I welcome it and am very excited! Im learning a lot!

Are the drivers that are around 60-70 dollars still quality? Same as the tweeters, some are around $50. Could save a lot of money doing this and hopefully get GREAT sound. The 8 ohm drivers kinda threw me for a loop. Hopefully the 800/5 will put enough power to them at that ohm. I've seen some drivers at 4 ohm but no tweeters yet.

Isn't the suspension on home speakers looser than car mids??

bigbirney420
04-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Both forums have their place. I visit CA.com for entertaining threads, racism, noob questions, rednecks like deerhunt, and general idiocy.

DIY is for information and helpful friendly members

bigbirney420
04-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks guys, Im liking some of the morel, peerless and seas mids. Tweeters Im still kinda lost on. I installed for 5 years at a shop and never did any DIY components but I welcome it and am very excited! Im learning a lot!

Are the drivers that are around 60-70 dollars still quality? Same as the tweeters, some are around $50. Could save a lot of money doing this and hopefully get GREAT sound. The 8 ohm drivers kinda threw me for a loop. Hopefully the 800/5 will put enough power to them at that ohm. I've seen some drivers at 4 ohm but no tweeters yet.

Isn't the suspension on home speakers looser than car mids??

DIY speakers I have dealt with are generally more efficient, and need less juice to get going. My first DIY set was Morel HU621 mids and SEAS Prestige 27TFFNC/G The Seas were a bit harsh for me, especially for soft dome. Many say the aluminum are a little smoother.
Some of the best soft dome DIY tweets I have heard, and many will agree are
LPG 25NFA 1"
They can be had for 86 bux a pair on Madisound

James Bang
04-08-2009, 12:38 PM

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-tutorials/31-real-deal-8-ohm-drivers.html?highlight=real+deal+ohm

If I were you. I'd use the 4 channel section of your 800/5 bridged for the mids and get a small 2 channel for the tweets.

Sideways17
04-08-2009, 01:06 PM
That's my big pet peeve! I hate harsh tweeters! They are like nails on a chalkboard to me!

genxx
04-08-2009, 01:13 PM
If you can run large format the Peerless HDS and the Hiquphon OW1 sound amazing to me every time I have heard them. Just super smooth, accurate with almost a laid back airy sound to them. Both are smooth as butter.IMO

I also really like the Hertz HT25 and ML28.

Sideways17
04-08-2009, 05:38 PM
This is what I've narrowed down so far:

Mids;
Peerless HDS
Usher 8945P
Seas L18(H1224) or P18RNXP

Tweeters:
Vifa XT25
Seas 29TFFW or 29TAFW
Peerless 810921

How would those work for my first DIY front stage. Any combination be better suited for me? I want to compete in MECA SQ this year!

bigbirney420
04-08-2009, 09:36 PM
The Vifa XT 25 are great tweeters, but they need to be run on axis, and pointed correctly for best results.

mcsoul
04-08-2009, 09:40 PM
This is what I've narrowed down so far:

Mids;
Peerless HDS
Usher 8945P
Seas L18(H1224) or P18RNXP

Tweeters:
Vifa XT25
Seas 29TFFW or 29TAFW
Peerless 810921

How would those work for my first DIY front stage. Any combination be better suited for me? I want to compete in MECA SQ this year!

Then $500 should be closer to your deadening materials budget:laugh:

genxx
04-08-2009, 10:40 PM
If you are trying to be competitive and win in MECA you are going to end up dropping a **** ton more then $500 bucks.

Have you looked at some of the top MECA vehicles. Check out Dave Brooks truck, Matt R. truck, Kick Proffitts car, Steve Mcintyre car, Steve Heads car and list goes on. Depending on what you do and what class you will need some help by some of the top install guys and a decent budget to be competitive, unless you persoanlly have the skills to install and tune yourself.

Sideways17
04-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Then $500 should be closer to your deadening materials budget:laugh:

Lol! As stated before, Im JUST starting and doing this for fun. My explorer will be built for the STOCK or STREET class. I will be classified as a ''pro'' because I worked in the industry for 5 years. I won't be glassing the doors, stock appearance and HU in stock location. The truck will be deadened and I like to think I have some skill, I guess we'll find out. I don't plan to come in and clean house.

I asked about component sets and learned about DIYMA. I appreciate the advice. I didn't ask how much I should spend on dampening, I have a pretty good idea. Lol! The front doors will have 72 sq feet between the two, I think that should suffice.

Sideways17
04-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Anyone heard any mellow tweeters that will perform well off axis. I've heard the aluminum tweeters are less harsh. Thanks

FoxPro5
04-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Where will the speakers be located in the car? You said you're going to deaden and seal your doors, so does that mean you'll be putting the mids in them?

Is this a one-seat or two seat comp vehicle?

Do you own an air saw with a set of balls to start cutting your car up, have triple the budget you think you need and a lot of time [read months] to dedicate to just getting the car so sound balanced and "correct."??

Above all else, you need to keep it realistic IMHO. Your call will only sound as good as the install. A pro installer can go to Radioshack and buy $20 speakers and smoke someone in "SQ" with $5000 worth of gear that doesn't know how to use it in the car.

mcsoul
04-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Some car audio manufacturers make good stuff too;)

Profi Kick
http://www.woofersetc.com/p7464/W-165-PROFI-Kick--Rainbow-Profi-65"-Kick-Woofer-Set.htm

Cal 25
http://www.woofersetc.com/p7042/CAL-25-SILK-VOF--Rainbow-Germanium-1"-Tweeters.htm

Sideways17
04-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Just picked up 72 sq ft of Roadkill expert. It begins....

DEdwards
04-09-2009, 02:52 PM
$500.....that is a good start....

Sideways17
04-09-2009, 08:24 PM
I spent 3 hrs deadening today! I got 3 layers on the outside skin of my passenger door. Lol! Im taking my time and doing it right!

For the rear doors will a couple layers on the outside skin be fine?

bigbirney420
04-09-2009, 11:09 PM
rear doors not as important, just make sure the fronts are sealed good. Cover over any holes with aluminum flashing or light sheet metal>

James Bang
04-09-2009, 11:40 PM
For the doors I think deadening on where the mid is mounted on is more important than the other parts of the doors.

Sideways17
04-10-2009, 07:57 AM
My progress has come to a stop, I have to work all weekend. I will be spending the majority of Monday and Tuesday deadening. Hopefully I get the front doors sealed up, rear outer skins hit, and started on the rear cargo area gutted and started.

Anyone hear any of the Hybrid audio stuff. Its pretty pricey...

genxx
04-10-2009, 09:17 AM
I am running the HAT drivers in my truck and I really like them. Like any other speaker they have there own sound.

They have done very well in competition. Their Team have been on fire the last few years and are a great group of guys.

There are a lot of people running the HAT drivers, I would see if you can find someone that has them to take a listen. I know a lot of the HAT team guys open up their cars to demo the drivers.

The HAT drivers are def. worth a look in the decision making process.

They are like anything else there are those that do not care for the HAT sound but it seems to be most people that switch or purchase HAT don't change them out for something else. Which IMO says a lot about them.

Sideways17
04-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Is there anyone in Northern Illinois that is running these drivers or any other DIY setup. Im really wanting to run a DIY setup but have never heard any. I hear they are the way to go as far as SQ but Id like to actually hear them.

mcsoul
04-10-2009, 03:13 PM
My progress has come to a stop, I have to work all weekend. I will be spending the majority of Monday and Tuesday deadening. Hopefully I get the front doors sealed up, rear outer skins hit, and started on the rear cargo area gutted and started.

Anyone hear any of the Hybrid audio stuff. Its pretty pricey...

Why don't you take some pics and start a build log (In the build log section)?

I threw some this and that in the doors for good measure:

egg crate foam
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-516

Deflex 7" Power Pad
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=268-242

Sideways17
04-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Why don't you take some pics and start a build log (In the build log section)?

I threw some this and that in the doors for good measure:

egg crate foam
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-516

Deflex 7" Power Pad
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=268-242

I would love to take pics but all I have is this phone and Im not sure if I can post pics from here. I plan on getting some of the egg crate foam but Im still kinda worried about mold. I read about a camping, waterproof, mattress pad kinda thing. Is that what you use, Or if not ho do you treat the foam?

Ill probably get some thin sheet metal to fill in the holes. The only bad thing about the explorer is the door panels actually have fingers the slide down into the inside skin of the door, like silverados. It'll be sealed up as good as possible!

Anthony Collova
04-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Have you thought about the new ULTRA SUBS ss-6 components?
They are getting great reviews on DIYMA:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-product-reviews/55936-ultra-subs-ss-6-componets.html

They are right there in your price range.

ANT

gqjeff
04-10-2009, 04:21 PM
There is a set of Focal K2P brand new with full warranty for 500 shipped in the classifieds.. I am in the process of a build also and I will be installed K2P's myself..

mcsoul
04-10-2009, 04:31 PM
I would love to take pics but all I have is this phone and Im not sure if I can post pics from here. I plan on getting some of the egg crate foam but Im still kinda worried about mold. I read about a camping, waterproof, mattress pad kinda thing. Is that what you use, Or if not ho do you treat the foam?

Ill probably get some thin sheet metal to fill in the holes. The only bad thing about the explorer is the door panels actually have fingers the slide down into the inside skin of the door, like silverados. It'll be sealed up as good as possible!

I sprayed my egg crate foam with 2 coats of automotive scotch guard.
Who knows if it did any good:laugh:

Sideways17
04-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Im kinda hesistant to buy because half the brands all you have been suggesting to me are brands I've never heard of. I want to branch out and try something new but the only comps I've heard recently were the SPX17pros in a Golf. The doors weren't deadened and he doesn't really have any install abilities! lol! He also had them running off a MRP entry level Alpine 4 channel. Im just torn...do I buy a $390 set of the Alpine Pros or jump and buy a brand I've never heard or ever physically heard. I've done a lot of research and Im still unsure.

FoxPro5
04-10-2009, 05:56 PM
What makes you think that you will reproduce what you're hearing on a sound board or someone elses car in your car? Hearing them before hand will only give you and impression, that's it. I've used A LOT of different speakers in my car and they don't make THAT much difference...and 95% of them I'd never heard before. Refer to my earlier comment about install and tuning as that's what will make or break your system.

Why put egg crate foam behind a speaker? You got chickens laying eggs in there? ;)

Why deaden a rear door? Can you hear it vibrate?

Take advice from people on car audio forms very wisely. You'll learn through trial and error, not so much what other people's fantasy of what *should* be done or what sounds "good." That includes any of the BS I've just told you. :eek::)

FoxPro5
04-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Have you thought about the new ULTRA SUBS ss-6 components?
They are getting great reviews on DIYMA:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-product-reviews/55936-ultra-subs-ss-6-componets.html

They are right there in your price range.

ANT

Peter Euro has'm and recommends em. :laugh:

James Bang
04-10-2009, 06:00 PM
What makes you think that you will reproduce what you're hearing on a sound board or someone elses car in your car? Hearing them before hand will only give you and impression, that's it. I've used A LOT of different speakers in my car and they don't make THAT much difference...and 95% of them I'd never heard before. Refer to my earlier comment about install and tuning as that's what will make or break your system.

Why put egg crate foam behind a speaker? You got chickens laying eggs in there? ;)

Take advice from people on car audio forms very wisely. You'll learn through trial and error, not so much what other people's fantasy of what *should* be done or what sounds "good." That includes any of the BS I've just told you. :eek::)

too true :laugh:

mcsoul
04-10-2009, 06:26 PM

No, but just in case, they will have a place to lay their eggs.:p::p:

C3 Customs
04-11-2009, 07:54 AM
why would you spend the money for components with crossovers when you are going to run them active ?

Good question....

Sideways17
04-11-2009, 08:55 AM
Good question....

Any recommendations for mids and tweeters then? I've got some people trying to sell me CDT's and Ultra's.

bigbirney420
04-11-2009, 10:32 AM
If you want to buy a brand you have heard of you can mix and match 6speedcpoupe I think can get DLS and others. You can buy the raw drivers w/o crossovers for many brands. I had Iridium tweeters and they were great. I was going to but Nobellium mids to go with and would have been under 500 for the set, but I got a killer deal on my Helix set so i bought those.

Sideways17
04-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks man! I like what I've read on the Seas L18's or the Peerless 830883's. Im starting to research tweeters now. I want a smaller DIY tweeter because Ill probably have them up in the pillers.

JimJ
04-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Hybrid has some tweets that are pretty small in size :)

Sideways17
04-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Cool Ill check them out. Has anyone heard the Seas Neos, LPG 25nfa's, or the Dynaudio MD102's?