PDA

View Full Version : Making sure I got this right.

junocdx
09-09-2003, 06:09 PM
Im going to attempt fiberglassing 2 boxes for under my seats, and have them "molded" to my floorboard. Someone correct me if I'm going to do something wrong.

First off I have to tape off the area that I'm going to glass. Use a heck of a lot of tape, and then put aluminum foil over that. After I mix up the right amount of resin-hardener, I just brush it onto the tape/foil right? Do I stick some mat on the resin after its down, or do I just leave it as resin and pull it off, and put the mat on it outside of my truck?

Then I would put the MDF ring up with dowels, and pull the fleece over it and just glue it to the bottom mold? Then I put resin on the fleece and then the mat down right? This is where I'm mainly confused. If the fleece is just glued to the bottom mold, how would I make it flush on the bottom? Like how do I get it to stick to the bottom and be smooth and flush? Then after that do I HAVE to bondo and all that stuff, or can I just leave it glass? It will be under my seat and no one will be seeing them... so the looks dont really matter.

If you can help me out or point out any problems of give me some suggestions or something, I'd appreciate it. Thanks guys.

Gauntlet
09-09-2003, 07:52 PM
First off I have to tape off the area that I'm going to glass. Use a heck of a lot of tape, and then put aluminum foil over that. After I mix up the right amount of resin-hardener, I just brush it onto the tape/foil right? Do I stick some mat on the resin after its down, or do I just leave it as resin and pull it off, and put the mat on it outside of my truck?

After you get it all taped off, first put a mold release agent on the tape, vaseline, WD-40, a non-stick cooking spray, etc. Then brush a layer of the resin/hardener all over the area, put mat down, and poke more of the resin/hardener mixture onto and through the mat so it becomes transparent. You can either do all the layers of the mat in this stage, or just do one layer, let it cure, then take it out of the car and do the rest. If you go with the latter, remember to not put mat on the underside of the mold, and remember to lightly sand the area where youre going to put the mat before you do it.

Then I would put the MDF ring up with dowels, and pull the fleece over it and just glue it to the bottom mold? Then I put resin on the fleece and then the mat down right? This is where I'm mainly confused. If the fleece is just glued to the bottom mold, how would I make it flush on the bottom? Like how do I get it to stick to the bottom and be smooth and flush? Then after that do I HAVE to bondo and all that stuff, or can I just leave it glass? It will be under my seat and no one will be seeing them... so the looks dont really matter.

Glue the fleece to the mounting ring and to the underside of the base, then just slop on the resin/hardener mixture so the fleece becomes thoroughly saturated. After that dries, sand it lightly and put a layer of mat down. After you're all done, use your dremel to sand the underside of the base so the excess hardened fleece goes away, and everything is flush.

The whole process is explained with pictures here - http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=38665