PDA

View Full Version : Double baffle flush mount, how do you do it with a jig saw

WOT
03-30-2009, 01:28 AM
Going to be building a wall this week, my first, also going to have a double front baffle so I can sink the subs in and give some more rigidity. Going to be 4 15's on a 32"high X 32"wide baffle. Subs have a cutout of 14" and an od of just under 16"

What I "think" I have to do. Is simply clamp the 2 baffles together before any holes are cut, find the exact center of all 4 subs and drill the 4 holes through both boards, then just use that as a reference with my "compass/circle drawer" to make 14" cutouts on the first board, 16" on the second

Finding centers kinda boggles my mind at this time of night though, any pointers

01 S 10
03-30-2009, 01:30 AM
yeah, clamp/screw the baffles together temporarily and you can drill all the center holes you need. then just use a 14" diameter jig and a 16"... and go slow with the jigsaw lol

steveBeatz
03-30-2009, 01:32 AM
ya and sand it after LOl .. :) and to find center for 4 subs I would think just measure the width and divide it by 4??

thegreatestpenn
03-30-2009, 01:33 AM
put the sub up to the wall, trace it for the outside diameter. move in 1 inch, mark, and make another circle with that mark for your sub cutout. then go from there

hornedfrog1985
03-30-2009, 01:34 AM
Clamp the two together cut at the same time, and then take the top part off, and cut the hole whatever size it needs to be to sit in flush. Put the top board back on and glue it.

DBBOOM
03-30-2009, 01:35 AM
Go slow and pack a lunch.

WOT
03-30-2009, 11:33 AM
Well ya I want to get these subs packed as close as possible to eachother on this baffle. 16" od and a baffle of 32X32 lol

99grandprixGT
03-30-2009, 11:35 AM
**** you going be cutting it close lol. ya its not that hard. i had to cut my sub cut out with jig saw. not hard at all just take your time.

WOT
03-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Well yeah Ive dont lots of cutouts, just never a flushmount baffle that actually matterred if its a nice lookin circle or not

But yeah, shes gonna be a tight one lol

DonH
03-30-2009, 09:49 PM
what i have done is line up the top two baffles and clamp them real good. next draw a line horizontally down the center of the baffle on top then two horizontal line spaced out accordingly so the subs have sufficient amount between them. once you have done that you should have two points of intersection. drive a nail with a hammer right in thoze intersections or drill a hole that will be small enough for a nail to stick into. once you have done that you can seperate the boards. oh yeah make sure both holes go through both boards. now seperate the two baffles.

now make a circle jig with a scrap piece of mdf. drill a hole somewhere on the sheet all the way through. from that hole measure half of the outer cutout diameter and mark it. now on that mark drill a hole all the way through with a bit that will allow a pencil or pen (whatever your using) to fit snuggly in there. now do that for the inner cutout as well. once your jig is all done take a nail and drive it into the MASTER hole on your jig and then nail it into the hole on your baffle. place the pencil in one of the remaining two jig holes (either sub cutout or outer cutout half diameter.) now just swing that bad boy around. do that accordingly for everything else.

once your circles are drawn use that jig and make the hole larger for your jigsaw blade to fit through. you c where im going with this??? when make'n the larger hole drill all the way through the baffle as well for your starting point. now secure the jigsaw by any means necessary. ANY! do that for all the cutouts mang! and WHAM perfect cutouts! works for me.... well i have a router now :)

azbass
03-30-2009, 09:52 PM
cut two times and measure once.

speedfreak28
03-30-2009, 09:52 PM
stop being a cheap *** and get yourself a router and a jasper jig, you'll wonder how you ever cut circles without one :)

Worlddre
03-30-2009, 09:54 PM
someone failed geometry

WOT
03-31-2009, 05:10 PM
I cant afford no router or jasper jig, hell Im strugglin to get by on ramen noodles lol

thanks for the info though guys, should start this build later today

James Bang
03-31-2009, 05:15 PM
yeah, clamp/screw the baffles together temporarily and you can drill all the center holes you need. then just use a 14" diameter jig and a 16"... and go slow with the jigsaw lol

If I just had a jigsaw, i'd do it ^^that way. Then I would go the Home Depot and buy a router.

James Bang
03-31-2009, 05:16 PM
jasper jig = 1/4 mdf mounted to router. measure from bit and drill home. boom. circles. adam f.

Vermithrax
03-31-2009, 11:35 PM
If a jigsaw is all you have, do what was suggested with the scrap mdf, only instead of using a pencil use a screw. Screw the jig down into the center hole, run the other screw down until it protrudes about 1/8" out of the other hole. Scribe the cutout outline as deep as you can. The jigsaw will do a good job of following the scribe, but you still need to pay attention and exert a lot of control over the jigsaw. I cut baffles this way and they come out very neat and accurate.

I Like Waffle
03-31-2009, 11:55 PM
I like to take my mounting gaskets and spray adhesive them (temp) to the sub box to trace my inside cutout and outside diameter. Works wonders. :)

psych0ticnemes1
04-01-2009, 10:27 AM
If you don't have a decent sander, this attachment works well to sand the speaker baffles without hand sanding.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=85721-1069-6096&lpage=none