PDA

View Full Version : Need to replace comps I blew w/ a noob mistake

FtWorthHorn
03-29-2009, 07:34 PM
This past summer I bought a used Infiniti G35 whose previous owner had made some upgrades to the sound system. The system is driven by a nine.4 in three channel mode. The sub is fine, if a little underpowered. The components were fine as well, but then I started messing around with things I didn't understand.

I started messing around and didn't realize that one set of inputs was the sub and one was the components. I believe that I ended up with the crossover for the components set to full and the bass boost on (everyone stop and laugh at the noob here). I normally listen at pretty normal levels, but then my fiancee's younger brother took it out, cranked up the bass on the factory HU, and turned the volume all the way up. Needless to say, my left mid is totally trashed and the right sounds damaged as well. Since I did this to the speakers I've learned a ton, so now it's time to replace the components.

I'd like to stay around $200 for the pair. From my reading on this board, the ID CTX65cs seems like a favorite, but I'm not sure the amp is enough to power them at 65W (and I don't want to get into replacing the amp). I know that the Infinity Kappas (I'd go with the 60.9 I think) are popular with the G35 crowd because they just drop in, but I'm worried that at 2 ohms I'd risk blowing these too with the at least 100W the ED amp will provide.

So, I bow to the experience of the forum. What else would you guys look at?

okiedokie
03-29-2009, 07:57 PM
try these out, if you dont like partsexpress.com will refund you your money back.
oh, buy some deadener as well, yes it wil make big difference in sound & you'll get better mirange response.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=267-281

FtWorthHorn
03-30-2009, 12:07 AM
I'll take a look at those.

Would I be in danger of hurting the Infinity Kappas? They're rated for 90 RMS, but I'd imagine they can take a little more safely. I'm just focused on these because I know they work in the space I have. I also don't know how the gain on this amp works; if it's an attenuator couldn't I just turn their gain down a bit and keep it safely within range?

Also, is my assumption right about the ID's above? Would they be badly underpowered at the 65 rated from my amp?

stuckinok
03-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Tons of choices in the 200 range..

What type of music do you listen to?

FtWorthHorn
03-30-2009, 08:58 PM
I listen to all sorts of stuff, but if I had to pick it'd be classic rock.

The other thing I face is that my car isn't exactly quiet on the highway. The wind noise isn't so bad, but the road noise on the low-profile tires is pretty harsh on some surfaces. I'd like to be able to hear my music/radio (which, although I probably shouldn't admit it on here, is fairly regularly on an audiobook or NPR) without cranking the amp to full and overheating it on a long drive (which I have done once). Those factors make me nervous about putting in speakers that prefer a lot of power to get to their SPL.

jmanneff
03-31-2009, 01:11 AM
I have been looking for components also, and have been very intrigued by the cdt's. Just not sure. Have you listened to these? Here's a link:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=110363695246

macq32
03-31-2009, 02:09 PM
I'll take a look at those.

Would I be in danger of hurting the Infinity Kappas? They're rated for 90 RMS, but I'd imagine they can take a little more safely. I'm just focused on these because I know they work in the space I have. I also don't know how the gain on this amp works; if it's an attenuator couldn't I just turn their gain down a bit and keep it safely within range?

Also, is my assumption right about the ID's above? Would they be badly underpowered at the 65 rated from my amp?

Don't give the kappas more than 90. You could bridge the nine.4 and get a decent set of components and invest in a sub amp for pretty cheap in our classifieds section. What kid of sub are you using if you are powering it now with a nine.4 bridged you probably dont need anything more than a kicker 300.1 or something, not expensive at all

Fiercetimbo17
03-31-2009, 02:12 PM
Im local and can get you a good deal on the kappas if you go that route.

groundpound4200
03-31-2009, 02:13 PM
Focal Access comps do good in that price range and wattage

Doola36
03-31-2009, 03:42 PM
Don't give the kappas more than 90. You could bridge the nine.4 and get a decent set of components and invest in a sub amp for pretty cheap in our classifieds section. What kid of sub are you using if you are powering it now with a nine.4 bridged you probably dont need anything more than a kicker 300.1 or something, not expensive at all

I just wanted to state that I have given my kappa's over that much.....I was running a Alpine 4.150 on a pair of 60.9cs for my rears. Just my .02 and I haven't had a problem with them yet.

macq32
03-31-2009, 06:49 PM
I just wanted to state that I have given my kappa's over that much.....I was running a Alpine 4.150 on a pair of 60.9cs for my rears. Just my .02 and I haven't had a problem with them yet.

for how long? I ran my kappa 60.7cs (I believe) @ 90-95 for a while, felt like they could take more, but they cant. My 693.7's took 110 just fine, the components sounded like **** over ~95