PDA

View Full Version : Toyota 4runner speaker help

bumpin buick
03-28-2009, 02:04 PM
So I am putting new speakers in my Toyota 4runner and I took out the old ones to find that they factory super glue them to a plastic adapting piece to the door. Without the plastic piece I can not put anything in, any tips? Best idea I could come up with is to make adapter rings but I dont have the tools to do it, id really like to just keep the factory piece in but it doesnt look like its going to be possible. no matter what I do I cant separate the glue bond on the speakers.

Super Pickle
03-29-2009, 11:52 AM
If you know that you arent going to use those stock speakers anymore, find some sort of household product that has the chemical acetone in it and dab it behind the speaker, it should release the glue but u might destroy the speakers... just watch the wires lol....

On the safe side, find somebody or rent tools or something to build adapters lol.

mazda6i07
03-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Are you in whitewater or appleton? IF you're in whitewater we could hit up steve's wood shop?....

bumpin buick
03-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Are you in whitewater or appleton? IF you're in whitewater we could hit up steve's wood shop?....

Im driving back in the next two hours, its going to be a crappy drive though, if you guys are bored I will pay ya for 4 6.5" (3/4" MDF) rings. No way those plastic things are going to work.

mazda6i07
03-29-2009, 12:14 PM
If you want to stop by go for it man! Ill be home, if you want my address ill text you. Umm, you shouldnt have to pay him. If all else fails we can hit up home depot. But if you want to stop by let me know. We can use the wood shop anyway, he has all the tools you'll need too.

l7runner
03-29-2009, 12:19 PM
I had the same problem...you can break the bond between the speakers and the plastic...use a chisel to get in between, then pry apart

bumpin buick
03-29-2009, 12:50 PM
I tried that in one area and the plastic started to bend before the speaker would begin to seperate. So I gave up, will just make the wood rings when i get the time, just bummed now