PDA

View Full Version : Custom Door panel issues

Black_Friday
03-27-2009, 06:25 PM
Hey guys, I have been working on adding custom door panels to my bonneville. I went to a junk yard and bought two panels, stripped them down completely and shadowed one of the custom fabricators at my job as he modified them. A year later, after getting my own place and getting engaged, i am ready to get them wrapped and finally put in my car. The only problem is, the two panels are made identical and the contours of the origional door panels are different because the passenger side panel is cut in a way that allows for the door to be closed without hitting the glove box. So now i need to know what to do to fix it. My first guess says cut out the area that will hit the glove box and remold with glass and bondo so it fits around the glove box better but i dont know who to do it. Do I stretch and staple fleece on it then add body filler and sand down like we did the rest of the panels? Please help me guys. I would like to have my whole car done by the time that the weather gets and stays warm

Black_Friday
03-28-2009, 01:47 AM
strike one

Black_Friday
03-28-2009, 03:18 PM
strike two

AVX Mike
03-29-2009, 01:07 PM
Yes, the way you just said it is going to be the easiest way to fix that problem at this point.

WOT
03-30-2009, 12:33 AM
Yes, put the panel on the car, shut the door and get the panel as close as you can to the dash. With a sharpie try and imagine what would need to be cut out for it to clear the dash, cut it out, go in small steps, cut it a few times. Its easier to cut material out, than it is to glass it back in.

After you have cut just enough away so that the panel clears the dash, you then have to fiberglass a recessed piece in, I cant go into detail on that, many ways to do it

good luck