PDA

View Full Version : Car Audio For Home Audio

basshedz06
03-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Hey guys i was wondering can this be possiable. i have tried a search but havn't got much info i need from what i saw on the forum.
so i have a mtx 7500 12 just lying around collecting dust an i wanna do a killer ht/ha system with it.
what would i need to have for as power supple an such an how do i wire the coils since its a dual 4 sub

jco1385
03-27-2009, 11:29 AM
you'll need some sort of amp (plate, tube, etc...) and wire it to probably 8ohms depending on the amp. i'm not sure how low HT amps can go. and you'll probably want to go ported and LOW tuned

maybe JimJ can shed some light for you.

DidUHearThat?
03-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Build a simple sealed or ported box. Get a plate amp, or other home subwoofer amp. Connect it to your stereo. Go boom.

Check www.partsexpress.com for amps. I suggest the Bash plate amps or thier stand alone sub amps. Any of the Daytons are fine too. You'll have to wire it at 8 ohms, most home amps won't do 2 ohms. If you have a sub out on your reciever you can look around of a Crest 202 professional amp and run it bridged. You'll need a crossover in the amp or on your reciever. You could also wire a passive crossover on to the sub, but that is less efficent.

Linkz
03-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Crown XTI 1000 (http://www.audiolines.com/product.php?productid=17231)

I dont know what kind of power you are wanting to run. But, this amp is stable at any load and does about 1400wrms@4ohm bridged. And built in crossovers.

DidUHearThat?
03-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Crown XTI 1000 (http://www.audiolines.com/product.php?productid=17231)

I dont know what kind of power you are wanting to run. But, this amp is stable at any load and does about 1400wrms@4ohm bridged. And built in crossovers.

$339!???!!!

I paid $400 for that amp when they first came out, and now they sell for $500.

That sounds almost too good to be true.

ETA: now I see it says crown warehouse open box item. If you select new it jumps to $500. Still a smoking deal if it comes with a warranty.

jco1385
03-27-2009, 12:04 PM
no ****. helluva price on that. wish i had some cash to spend on that

03-27-2009, 12:19 PM
home theater sub amps are really cheap for the wattage compared to car audio amps. dunno why. i have a 2000 watt rms amp @ 2ohms with build in xover for $400 brand new. its called a buttkicker amp but its actually made by some other company, i forget though.
its really heavy for its size. so shipping costs ****
it'll blow subs easily though if their not up to spec. i've blown 3 already and hard to find a sub that handles that much power for cheap. i quit using it.

jco1385
03-27-2009, 12:22 PM
home theater sub amps are really cheap for the wattage compared to car audio amps. dunno why. i have a 2000 watt rms amp @ 2ohms with build in xover for $400 brand new. its called a buttkicker amp but its actually made by some other company, i forget though.
it'll blow subs easily though if their not up to spec. i've blown 3 already and hard to find a sub that handles that much power for cheap. i quit using it.

send it to me. i have a sub for it :D

DidUHearThat?
03-27-2009, 01:18 PM
I had never heard of them. I found this disturbing thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=852780

Apparently they have a habit of catching fire!!! If you use them on anything other than the "buttkicker" drivers, they will say you voided the warranty.

I would avoid them.

http://home.comcast.net/~dscline/burning_amp.jpg

Haunz
03-27-2009, 01:36 PM

I picked one of these up from a guy on this forum (almost) brand new for $200 :D

I don't know what the deal is with the one that caught fire but mine seems to work pretty well for a budget amp and barley gets warm.. don't believe the 2kw rating though.. that is total BS...

It's a 1000 watt amp..

DidUHearThat?
03-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Follow the link. Several people reported fires. It actually set thier house on fire.

Random1010
03-27-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm gettin me a new Mcintosh mono amp for the subs.

basshedz06
03-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Wow guys thanks for the input I will be looking into the plate amps today
Those subs are 400rms so I suppose a 400 or 500 watt amp would efficient enough

JimJ
03-27-2009, 02:45 PM
What else are you using?

I just see a sub here...

basshedz06
03-27-2009, 11:22 PM
I saw a pair of re's coaxiles pretty cheap thought I souls check them out

Haunz
03-28-2009, 04:19 AM
Follow the link. Several people reported fires. It actually set thier house on fire.

Holy ****! I'm glad you posted that, cause I had no idea..

I emailed the company about this, see what they say I guess.. from reading that thread apparently it's the filter caps in the psu which go bad and short out..

before I hook mine up again I think I'll be changing those caps out.. :eek:

basshedz06
03-28-2009, 06:34 AM
anyone know of any recievers with a built in amp an hdmi cables or componets for my 360 game play

DidUHearThat?
03-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Onkyo 606

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/543836-REG/Onkyo_TX_SR606B_TX_SR606B_Home_Theater_Receiver.ht ml

Johnny Law.Lulz
03-28-2009, 02:32 PM
You can get a computer power supply and run a car audio amp with it.

JimJ
03-28-2009, 04:48 PM

Sure, if you want to be lazy about it.

Johnny Law.Lulz
03-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Sure, if you want to be lazy about it.

I dont know what basis you are claiming this to be lazy as but id love for you to explain. Id rather run car audio stuff because its easier to me, it seems a little cooler to me to say i got car audio stuff runnin my system. I dont know why you think it would be appropriate to insult my way of doing things but im sorry you feel that way. I think you are being lazy by saying im being lazy and not explaining where you get that from.

03-28-2009, 05:19 PM

i wonder how a sub could cause it but not the buttkicker? their both nearly the same afaik since you can make one out of a regular subwoofer. mine never got very hot and subs was all i used it on, likely maybe certain ones have some other defective issue.

DidUHearThat?
03-28-2009, 05:25 PM
It's not the sub. It's the filter cap inside, but the amp is designed for thier buttkicker shakers, their warranty info makes it very clear they will not warranty it for use as a sub amp. The sub makes no difference, but you've voided the warranty so they aren't responsible for what happens after that.

Random1010
03-28-2009, 05:30 PM
I dont know what basis you are claiming this to be lazy as but id love for you to explain. Id rather run car audio stuff because its easier to me, it seems a little cooler to me to say i got car audio stuff runnin my system. I dont know why you think it would be appropriate to insult my way of doing things but im sorry you feel that way. I think you are being lazy by saying im being lazy and not explaining where you get that from.

How is it easier? 1 home sub amp vs. car audio amp+PS. Its cooler to say you have ca stuff running your system? Would it be cool to run a big HT reciever instead of a deck in your car...? Sure it works, but if there is something specific made for a job, use it instead of something not made for the job. Like using a vice grip to screw in a drywall screw. Will it work? I guess. Is there a smarter, better, easier way? Yes.

DidUHearThat?
03-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Not to mention the average CA.com member cannot be trusted to solder and heat shrink, much less wire a 120 volt plug.

120 volt + exposed wires + CA.com member = Fire/Death

A basic sub amp or stereo amp can be had for less than $70, with a factory plug already attached.

03-29-2009, 02:02 PM
How is it easier? 1 home sub amp vs. car audio amp+PS. Its cooler to say you have ca stuff running your system? Would it be cool to run a big HT reciever instead of a deck in your car...? Sure it works, but if there is something specific made for a job, use it instead of something not made for the job. Like using a vice grip to screw in a drywall screw. Will it work? I guess. Is there a smarter, better, easier way? Yes.

i suppose if you already had the stuff laying around then its a cheaper option. i have a PSU sitting around and an old punch 60, had no idea a PSU would be enough to power anything like that but interesting idea i think for some people.

although a typical HT sub with built in amp is far more efficient and certainly home sub boxes look really nice. use a buttkicker or some other tactile transducer with it to feel the bass rather than larger subs and amps.

ngsm13
03-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Jank ***.

nG

Louisiana_CRX
03-29-2009, 02:16 PM
you can use a big DC power supply if you want to run a complete car audio system for home...i've thought about doing that in a spare room before

JimJ
03-29-2009, 03:56 PM
Jank ***.

nG

This.

fshanda
03-29-2009, 07:36 PM
2 Rockford T1's when it was being powered by a QSC 1450 amplifier. I have them running off a Behringer EP2500 for now. You can find good deals on pro audio equipment on Craigslist all the time. Much easier than rigging power supplies and crossing your fingers. Wire the subs to the amp just like you would your car audio. I have these wired to 4ohm and the amp bridged mono to match.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2044/2427500963_0c03de6cff.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2397/2427501265_a551f0f96d.jpg

basshedz06
03-30-2009, 08:27 PM
where is your power supply on this setup i bet it pounds

JimJ
03-30-2009, 08:28 PM
where is your power supply on this setup i bet it pounds

Read his post again. He used a real amplifier, like you're supposed to :)

03-30-2009, 08:43 PM
i'd prefer that home sub that JL audio makes, has a built in amp and what looks like a W6 or W7, reviews say its very accurate.
Earthquake used to make one in a small box that said did 138 db's out of box. was a radiator enclosure

JimJ
03-30-2009, 09:20 PM
i'd prefer that home sub that JL audio makes, has a built in amp and what looks like a W6 or W7, reviews say its very accurate.

The Gotham. I've read it's quite good, haven't heard one in person yet :)

In the scheme of things, though, the sub really is the least important part.

DidUHearThat?
03-30-2009, 11:09 PM
My 2 Dayton Quatro 12" subs (on sale $50 each) pound the whole house and knock things off the shelves.

03-31-2009, 06:44 PM
My 2 Dayton Quatro 12" subs (on sale $50 each) pound the whole house and knock things off the shelves.

alot of subs do that though, easy thing to do in a house even if with a small amp. i had 2 oldschool crap jenson 12's in a ported box hooked to a buttkicker amp, these were cheap subs back in the day even and they knocked several things off including a picture on the wall. not long after that they blew almost at the same time lol
the other sub i blew with that amp was a kicker comp but it at least lasted a while.

i now prefer Home theater in a box systems. they certainly dont pound, but their inexpensive, look nice, fewer wires and all matched to sound properly for movies. some new ones are wireless, me wants.:veryhapp:

DidUHearThat?
03-31-2009, 06:56 PM
I'm quite pleased with these. They sound nice and have power for days. Mine are powered by two 300 watt Dayton Plate amps ($99 ea, also on sale). I don't think I'll be replacing them. I've seen many HT subs that cost alot more that didn't sound as good and no where near as powerfull as my set up.

JimJ
04-01-2009, 12:56 PM
some new ones are wireless, me wants.

If you prefer sound over convenience, you'll choose wired every time.

Then again, there's a market for these things.

bds0688
04-02-2009, 09:31 PM

If you enjoy an amp that only pushes 200 watts. A PSU with enough amps to push a car audio amp with enough power=price of a clean, 120volt amp with change.

04-04-2009, 06:53 PM
If you prefer sound over convenience, you'll choose wired every time.

Then again, there's a market for these things.

true definitly but if the wired speakers are those cheap HT in a box systems then it really doesnt matter much.