PDA

View Full Version : Got a quote for a car alarm need advice

MonkeyBone
03-27-2009, 10:24 AM
I have a 2002 Mustang GT Manual. I am putting in a new 4.5k system but before I do I want to install an alarm. I got a quote from a local audio shop for a Compustar two-way paging alarm with trunk protection, glass breaking mic, and I guess the usual starter kill and what-not with no remote start. The quote was for $550 out the door taxes and all.

I do not know the exact model of CompuStar alarm it is but it's their two way paging one if that helps at all.

I am a DIY kind of guy but found little information on a DIY car alarm install and all cars are different to an extent. For example I would need a wiring diagram for my car and COMPLETE install instructions which don't seem to come with a lot of alarms so they HAVE to be dealer installed. Please correct me if I'm wrong or not looking in the right places.

I am a network administrator by trade so technical issues for me are a challenge I'd like to accept as long as it's reasonable. I just don't know if I should just get this alarm installed and be done with it, or attempt to do it myself and save money with the CORRECT documentation. Any advice you can give a car security bonehead would be greatly appreciated ;-)

michaellane
03-27-2009, 10:29 AM
well i have a 2002 honda accord and i know vipers 2way alarm was like 500 if i had best buy install it.

MonkeyBone
03-27-2009, 10:56 AM
well i have a 2002 honda accord and i know vipers 2way alarm was like 500 if i had best buy install it.

So I'm guessing that the 550 is not too far off base then? I'll give Best Buy a call and see what they have to say. Didn't realize they install alarms as well. Thanks.

MonkeyBone
03-27-2009, 11:55 AM
Called best Buy and I think I'm going with the Viper 5701 w/o the remote start installed because I have a manual. It will be almost $100 cheaper and the Viper name.

Never heard of ComuStar and was uneasy about that fact. They sound bo-bo to me, but then again I never claimed to know that much about them anyway but the NAME ComuStar sound like some really cheap crap to me. If it's not they should change their name.

Ferendon
03-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Compustar IS boo-boo.

Viper 5701 is a bad *** system. Also, a 2002 Mustang is not the car to try your first DIY alarm install on.

JayRich
03-27-2009, 12:07 PM
I paid $250 out the door for my Prestige alarm system(system and install) with auto start but that was in NY.

Ferendon
03-27-2009, 12:24 PM
Cost on Audiovox goods is FAR less than DEI goods. DEI makes a far superior alarm, though. Prices vary drastically from an authorized retailer (read : a place where you can buy the alarm with a true manufacturers warranty and lifetime warranty install), to a back alley hack shack (read : the places where you get an Audiovox alarm/remote start for $250 installed).

MonkeyBone
03-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Cost on Audiovox goods is FAR less than DEI goods. DEI makes a far superior alarm, though. Prices vary drastically from an authorized retailer (read : a place where you can buy the alarm with a true manufacturers warranty and lifetime warranty install), to a back alley hack shack (read : the places where you get an Audiovox alarm/remote start for $250 installed).

So the 5701 is a good alarm then? That's good to hear. And the fact that you said the install would be a PITA for my car sealed the deal for me. I'll be at Best Buy when they open tomorrow. I have plenty of stuff to do with my stereo install and don't need the hassle of an alarm on top of it.

Have a question for you Ferendon, The system comes with the option of a remote start that I am not using. I've herd you can do it on a manual but it is a much more involved setup and of course more expensive. If I want to get that option installed later, what would be the ballpark figure for the install if you know? Thanks for your input, I appreciate it ;-)

bmoney9
03-27-2009, 01:07 PM
i have a 5701 and its one of the best alarms i have had installed.

Worlddre
03-27-2009, 07:34 PM
5701 = full of remote problems and the shock sensor doesnt work for **** not to mention have had several brains **** on me out of the box... almost 3 of 5 customers comes back to me within two weeks saying the 2way remote no longer responds to anything.

Compustar makes a very nice product....alarm features adjustable on the fly from the 2way remote, vehicle pin code entry in the event of lost keys or being locked out and an extremely reliable remote range and longevity wise

myjaja
03-27-2009, 07:36 PM
thats a ripoff..

Get viper or autopage.

nchilds21
03-27-2009, 07:37 PM
So the 5701 is a good alarm then? That's good to hear. And the fact that you said the install would be a PITA for my car sealed the deal for me. I'll be at Best Buy when they open tomorrow. I have plenty of stuff to do with my stereo install and don't need the hassle of an alarm on top of it.

Have a question for you Ferendon, The system comes with the option of a remote start that I am not using. I've herd you can do it on a manual but it is a much more involved setup and of course more expensive. If I want to get that option installed later, what would be the ballpark figure for the install if you know? Thanks for your input, I appreciate it ;-)

I was gonnna do that same thing when I get my alarm put on but the guy said that it would be alot easier to just do it when installing the alarm... so easier means alot less money..

He told me it would cost alot more if i did it later

Andrew_as
03-27-2009, 08:13 PM
I just bought the rs 1000 for 230 of ebay. Got a guy that will install it for 100 too. But i was curious so i called the shop and asked how much for just install of my alarm on 98 f150 with remote start and they said 320! hell with 320 for an install..