PDA

View Full Version : 5 1/4 waste of time??and$$$

Depression
09-06-2003, 09:29 PM
What do you guys think about running 5 1/4 components in front. I've gotten some feedback that "if it ain't 6 and a half then it's crap". I am restricted on space..5 1/4 are practical..even if I run infinity's or MB quartz high end $$$ speakers do you think I will be disappointed.

any advice????and again..I'm not tearing up my doors for 6.5's.

Gauntlet
09-06-2003, 09:39 PM
Would you consider 12" subs crap since 15" subs exist?

Basically....if you can somehow find space for 6.5's (kick panels *wink*), then go for it, but if you cant/refuse to give up space for 6.5's, don't spend too much time worrying about it....

Depression
09-06-2003, 09:49 PM
Well...here is the "MAIN" dilemna...6.5's in my doors look like crap and tear up the integrity of the doors (I have seen this first hand). So to go perfect with my Stealth set up are the Q-form kick panel pods for my truck. BUT!!! what I don't get is that these Q-Forms for 88-96 Trucks only can fit 5.25 seperates???from what I hear it has something to do with the Parking Brake??( I know this sounds dumb. and imagining 6.5's down there..well my feet will sit on them??..any ideas. Kick panels are the spot I agree...but 5.25's are apparently still my only choice..only choice meaning I'm not going to spend more on the installation and fabrication for the speakers than the speakers themselves..any of you guys have Q-Forms??

I wouldn't really care that much accept it seems that the best 5 1/4's money can buy will only sound as good as mediocre 6.5's..I know that a crazy atatement..but at this initial point in my project I am relying on just front speakers...everyone talked me out of replacing all 4..4 by 6 stock speakers and to get seperates..now that I can only "easily fit 5 1/4's maybe stock speakers are the way to go...****..you would think the most popular truck on the road would have more availability for custom stereo stuff huh???

adam71
09-11-2003, 06:06 PM
I would say go with the 5 1/4s. I have a friend that competes in SQ and he does well with sound quality. Plenty of midbass. No sense making something fit that wasn't meant to fit. 6.5s are the ideal midbass driver, this is true. But if it won't work it won't work. To say 5 1/4s are crap is a stupid and/or an uneducted statement. A good set of 5 1/4 will do you just fine as long as you have a decent amp going to them.

Adam

LBX2G
09-12-2003, 03:35 PM
I feel what u sayin but i have heard that q forms do not take up that much space. I know how u feel. I see other people with the kick panel and looks likes there is no space down but they say there is foot room.

But about the upgrade of caraudio in new car it looks true. like theyu want the factory stuff to stay. look at the new head units in the new navi. how would u upgrade the head unit.and some of the impala and silverado u can not remove the head unit or the airbag will go off.

bumpin_blazer
09-12-2003, 04:44 PM
aiight here is my thoughts. i've had q-logic q-forms for about ohhh 2 years now. 2 things, 1 they will fit 6.5"s trust me. i am putting vifa pl 7"s in mine as we speak my friend. anyway, i had some canton 5.25"s up front and they beat the **** out of a pair of focal utopias, boston Z6's, and some other not so high end. oh those setups were also 6.5"s. anyway, if you wanna stick with 5.25"s i am selling my cantons for a **** good price of 170 shipped. these are the company that made MB Quart and are identicle to the qsd's. lemme know if your interested man.

adam

maylar
09-16-2003, 02:56 PM
Some people think the midrange is more natural on 5.25's than 6.5's. But I'm in the same boat you are... no room for anything bigger. I'm happy with my 5.25's.