PDA

View Full Version : box help

89tben
03-23-2009, 01:58 PM
ok guys im new here. and actually kind of new to building boxes (well building them correctly anyways). i mean ive built boxes before when i was younger, but never tookin into consideration building the box for the sub or subs. i need somebodys help on box dimension. this is goin to be my daily and i probably wont be competeing with it but i do want it loud as possible. i have a 12" hifonics goliath 2400 watt sub, and i have no idea what to build the box to. pics of my amps and the sub are in my gallery or in my introduction thread. can anyone help me?

thanks in advance
ben

on1wheel01
03-23-2009, 02:53 PM
This is what I use it's really easy figure out your max dimensions and put em in. Find out what frequency you want and how many cubes you want and go from there you can get the info on what the sub is best for by searching or just call hifonics and see what they recommend http://reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html. For daily most ppl say (dont quote me on this)32 or so.

89tben
03-23-2009, 10:51 PM
ok well can anyone point me in the right direction as to what frequency i should tune for. like i said its gonna be in my daily. i want it to be loud as possible. its going in an 89 toyota supra (hatchback) if that helps any.

89tben
03-24-2009, 12:57 AM
anyone?

bustaplz
03-24-2009, 03:19 AM
I like 32-36. Haven't tried any lower but any higher and it's a bit too 'peaky' for me.

89tben
03-24-2009, 02:06 PM
ok so my next question is how big should i make the box? i can make a box up to a lil over 4 cu ft should i make it that big if i can? infact i could probably make it a lil bigger.

on1wheel01
03-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Well what do your subs call for(you can search or call hifonics), build the box to what the subs need. Usually you figure out what volume you have in your car and then pick out your woofer set up. If you don't give the subs proper air space they will not work to the full potential. And I'd tune it from 30-34 or so for daily. Thats what I do. And be patient with the bumps you will get responses in time. Good luck. But I'd say maybe 3-4 cubes just off top of my head. Also make sure your port area is correct go for 16" for every cube. What are your max dimensions?

89tben
03-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Well what do your subs call for(you can search or call hifonics), build the box to what the subs need. Usually you figure out what volume you have in your car and then pick out your woofer set up. If you don't give the subs proper air space they will not work to the full potential. And I'd tune it from 30-34 or so for daily. Thats what I do. And be patient with the bumps you will get responses in time. Good luck. But I'd say maybe 3-4 cubes just off top of my head. Also make sure your port area is correct go for 16" for every cube. What are your max dimensions?

well im not exactly sure what the sub calls for. i have some box specs from a manual i found on line, but its for a competition box for spl @ 80 Hz. i can build a pretty big box for my sub to put in the hatch in my car. its just gonna be a big flat box. i figured out a box on the re calculator and acording to it i can build a box thats 4.234 cubes @33.385 Hz

on1wheel01
03-24-2009, 05:05 PM
like i said either search for the specs or call hifonics the last thing you want to do is just put it in a random size box. and make sure you have the right amount of port inches for 4 cubes it should be right at 64

89tben
03-24-2009, 05:40 PM
like i said either search for the specs or call hifonics the last thing you want to do is just put it in a random size box. and make sure you have the right amount of port inches for 4 cubes it should be right at 64

ok well what specs am i looking for? like i said i have the manual that i found online. it has specs in it. so what specs do i need and where do i plug them into. i know i dont want to just drop the sub into a random size box. thats why i posted this thread. and also like i said i used that link that you sent me to kind of get an idea of a box design.

on1wheel01
03-24-2009, 06:00 PM
you need to know what size box (how many cubes) they recommend for the sub, if you call they will tell you right away

89tben
03-24-2009, 06:13 PM
you need to know what size box (how many cubes) they recommend for the sub

well the one they suggest in the manual is a Vb of 2.5 cubes and a V(total) of 3.231 cube. BUT its for an spl box to be burped at 80Hz like i said in one of my previous posts.

on a side not is there anyone out ther that has any experience with the Hifonics Goliath subs?

ninja edit: sorry on1 im retarded and didnt read your entire post, and im actually on the fone right now with some one from hifonics right now. really hope i didnt come across as a di*K. just tryin to learn

on1wheel01
03-24-2009, 06:31 PM
it's fine hope they can help out g/l with the box build