PDA

View Full Version : whats wrong with my hertz mlk 165's

t-money
03-23-2009, 08:57 AM
i drove home a couple days ago with my system practically off till i got to my friends, then i drove about 10 minutes with them a little louder but not cranked. Next morning i turn my system on and my driver side speakers sound blown. I really don't think i could have blown them, I have 200 watts a side going to them, they're crossed at 75hz and the gain is almost at 0 on the amp. This morning i get in my car and they sound perfectly fine again, no cracking, no distortion and the midbass sounds great again. It's still cold here(can't take my door panels off) so i need to take them to the shop that installed them. What does it sound like is wrong? could the speaker wires in the doors be touching or is something loose. Just trying to get some ideas till i bring it back to the shop. thanks in advance.

pjhabit
03-23-2009, 09:09 AM
do a search w/ the keywords -hertz mlk cold

t-money
03-23-2009, 09:41 AM
do a search w/ the keywords -hertz mlk cold

don't think that's the problem, it isn't that cold here anymore and i've had no problems with them in the cold through the whole winter. Like i said, they sound good now, just wondering if somethings wrong with the crossover or can something be shorting out. Even when they sounded blown, you can tell it might be something else when you listen. Plus if they were blown, they wouldn't sound good today

pjhabit
03-23-2009, 09:59 AM
I'd check your wiring. Make sure nothing is pinched or exposed to metal, all connections are solid & your ground is adequate.

djman37
03-23-2009, 10:01 AM
if it clears up, i vote moisture.

t-money
03-23-2009, 10:42 AM
I'd check your wiring. Make sure nothing is pinched or exposed to metal, all connections are solid & your ground is adequate.

actually back where the amp is mounted, the speaker wire was pinched. I squeezed it so it wasn't pinched but they were still sounding funny, but today they sound fine. Maybe that was the problem, anyways gonna play them for a couple days and see what happens. The crossovers are in the doors as well, so maybe moisture got to it

edit: these speakers sound really **** good too, just needed some tweaking when i got them first put in but now, all i can say is wow.

bulldoggg
03-24-2009, 07:22 AM
sounds like a rca issue to me. id check the rca ends on that particular channel and kinda wiggle the wire where it connects with the rca ends while the system is playing. if the sound cuts in & out or gets distorted then thats probably the prob.

bamaboy
03-24-2009, 08:11 PM
i would take those xovers out of the door, those things are huge, would **** if something broke in them, im sure they arnt cheap

Blackcharger06
03-26-2009, 01:51 AM
i drove home a couple days ago with my system practically off till i got to my friends, then i drove about 10 minutes with them a little louder but not cranked. Next morning i turn my system on and my driver side speakers sound blown. I really don't think i could have blown them, I have 200 watts a side going to them, they're crossed at 75hz and the gain is almost at 0 on the amp. This morning i get in my car and they sound perfectly fine again, no cracking, no distortion and the midbass sounds great again. It's still cold here(can't take my door panels off) so i need to take them to the shop that installed them. What does it sound like is wrong? could the speaker wires in the doors be touching or is something loose. Just trying to get some ideas till i bring it back to the shop. thanks in advance.

That seems like some serious power your might be hitting them to hard. I've hard of guys getting them set at an install shop and then turning on the bass boost or something dumb and blowing something in the crossovers. I know I had an issue where the tweeters would blow. The tweeters were fine but the crossovers had a tweeter protection mode and it would shut down if it felt stress on the tweeter. THe long and short of it is I just took out the resistor, and problem solved. You could just give hertz a call. They are pretty helpful and if it's a common problem they can save you some time. goodluck.

lyttleviet
03-26-2009, 05:51 AM
no way that power is blowing those speakers if its tuned right.

James Bang
03-26-2009, 03:08 PM
take out door panels first then make thread...

otherwise, it'll just be a guessing game.

t-money
03-26-2009, 09:31 PM
well its too cold to take my door panels off and i don't have a garage. They are working again now and they sound great, i think my rca was pinched. I'm gonna take the door panel off when it warms up and make sure there nothing else going on in there. I may also take the crossovers out of the doors, they might be too big to sit in there. I'll wee once i can get the door panel off though. thanks for all the help and replies gentlemen.