PDA

View Full Version : difference in Eminence Alpha-6A 6" Midrange and alpha-6c?

JL Audio
03-22-2009, 06:05 PM
considering going back to the eminence and skipping B&Cs for now..

what's the main difference? it says the alpha 6c can be used as a midbass but doesn't say that in the 6A but i could have swore someone on here used them as that?

anyone clarify?

JL Audio
03-22-2009, 07:51 PM

JL Audio
03-22-2009, 10:14 PM
bump to the top

JL Audio
03-22-2009, 11:24 PM
here is a link to each so peeps can tell me what the difference is and clear it up.

alpha 6a - http://www.parts-express.com//pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=290-400
alpha 6c - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-399

JG903
03-22-2009, 11:38 PM
Why are you going back to eminence?
The reason I ask is because I have used the Alph-6a and the B&C 6PEV13 in the same application and the B&C was just cleaner sounding and louder.
As for the alpha's IDK, the 6a one has a slighty lower frequency response and the other one should be used in enclosure?

Linkz
03-22-2009, 11:46 PM
6a would be better simply because it has a lower response. I wouldn't go past 4.5k hz on it though. They have the same power handling and spl. It would probably not make much of a difference either way.

I would prefer the 8w4p (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-424&vReviewShow=1&vReviewRand=216003) or the 6" version from selenium

bass_lover1
03-22-2009, 11:53 PM
Well apart from the obvious of one being 4 ohm, and the other 8ohm. It doesn't appear that either would make a good "midbass" per-se as I don't see either playing below 80hz with any kind of presence. If I had to chose one, I'd go with the A, only because of the ridiculously low inductance.

Why are you skipping the B&Cs? They seem to get great reviews in the car audio realm, even if they are PA speakers.

JL Audio
03-22-2009, 11:57 PM
Why are you going back to eminence?
The reason I ask is because I have used the Alph-6a and the B&C 6PEV13 in the same application and the B&C was just cleaner sounding and louder.
As for the alpha's IDK, the 6a one has a slighty lower frequency response and the other one should be used in enclosure?

just looking moreso for quantity I can buy for the cash I have, I had planned on doing a single 10" neo b&c in each door with a de35 but just too much money compared to the cost of the apt-80 and alphas. I have the astro listed in my sig and it's getting a large system in it just for shows tuned low and I want the mids and highs to definitly be heard WITH the bass. Still love b&c stuff though.

6a would be better simply because it has a lower response. I wouldn't go past 4.5k hz on it though. They have the same power handling and spl. It would probably not make much of a difference either way.

I would prefer the 8w4p (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-424&vReviewShow=1&vReviewRand=216003) or the 6" version from selenium

I had 48 of the selenium ST-350 supertweeters just a little while back and sold them on here, once I try a brand I tend not to go back to them for a while so that kept me from looking into them again. Also thanks for recommending the 8w4p, i will look into it if i decide to check selenium out again. took me all evening to get some responses guys and it's appreciated :) i'm still new fully to matching mids/highs as i've usually switched to something else before trying a lot of the stuff i've bought.

JL Audio
03-22-2009, 11:58 PM
Well apart from the obvious of one being 4 ohm, and the other 8ohm. It doesn't appear that either would make a good "midbass" per-se as I don't see either playing below 80hz with any kind of presence. If I had to chose one, I'd go with the A, only because of the ridiculously low inductance.

Why are you skipping the B&Cs? They seem to get great reviews in the car audio realm, even if they are PA speakers.

simply cost issue and quantity I can buy, going in a show vehicle I want loud all around at local shows, won't be doing much competing and it won't be driven but 2-3 days a week, my celica is the one that gets the good stuff in it lol.

Apocalypse boy
03-24-2009, 11:01 AM
all i know is the apt-80's scream. I have 6 of them and i'm only using 4 getting no power and still think their to much for 6 alpha's lol. So i bought 2 selenium d250x's to help out :-)

JL Audio
03-24-2009, 11:22 AM
all i know is the apt-80's scream. I have 6 of them and i'm only using 4 getting no power and still think their to much for 6 alpha's lol. So i bought 2 selenium d250x's to help out :-)

owned 8 of the apt-80s before, 48 of the selenium ST350s among others :P

gmonk told me however that after a while of use the apt-80s will sound scratchy, have you had this problem yet?

Apocalypse boy
03-24-2009, 01:23 PM
lol man you're crazy if you were going to run 48 of those. I've been using the tweets since i think around the beginning of december and have had no problem yet. Still sound good to me.