PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a noob (07 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan)

agrogasboy
03-22-2009, 09:16 AM
Car is an 07 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan. I've already replaced the stock headunit with a 2-DIN Pioneer DVD so i could attah my iPod (I used to use a tape adaptor with the stock headunit, which really irritated me).

Anyways, i've finally saved up some cash to upgrade front speakers and add a sub & amp. I listen to a broad range of music, and I give more importance to SQ. I would like to hear the instuments and vocals clearly. I'm new to this and have just spent the past 4 days checking several forums. This will be the first and last investment into the car, from an audio perspective, so I want the system to be good enough that I will not want to upgrade, ever.

Appreciate your advice on the following set-up offered to me by a local shop:

Option 1:
Focal 165VR
Earthquake SWS12 sub
4-channel amp (can't recall what brand/model they recommended)
price quote: ~$960(installed)

Option 2 (cheaper):
Focal 165CA1 (i think this will be powered by the HU)
Earthquake SWS12 sub
2-channel amp (any recommendations)
price quote: ~$600 (installed)

In both options, the reco is to kill the 4in speakers in the back seat. I don't mind since I stay up front all the time anyways.

Is it worth investing in sound deadening? Is it advisable to just do the front doors and trunk?

If you have any other recommendations, pls feel free to enlighten me.:)

jackie.scoth
03-22-2009, 09:24 AM
If you have enough cash, you can do both options that will enhance your car more.

maddskillzz
03-22-2009, 09:31 AM
Car is an 07 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan. I've already replaced the stock headunit with a 2-DIN Pioneer DVD so i could attah my iPod (I used to use a tape adaptor with the stock headunit, which really irritated me).

Anyways, i've finally saved up some cash to upgrade front speakers and add a sub & amp. I listen to a broad range of music, and I give more importance to SQ. I would like to hear the instuments and vocals clearly. I'm new to this and have just spent the past 4 days checking several forums. This will be the first and last investment into the car, from an audio perspective, so I want the system to be good enough that I will not want to upgrade, ever.

Appreciate your advice on the following set-up offered to me by a local shop:

Option 1:
Focal 165VR
Earthquake SWS12 sub
4-channel amp (can't recall what brand/model they recommended)
price quote: ~$960(installed)

Option 2 (cheaper):
Focal 165CA1 (i think this will be powered by the HU)
Earthquake SWS12 sub
2-channel amp (any recommendations)
price quote: ~$600 (installed)

In both options, the reco is to kill the 4in speakers in the back seat. I don't mind since I stay up front all the time anyways.

Is it worth investing in sound deadening? Is it advisable to just do the front doors and trunk?

If you have any other recommendations, pls feel free to enlighten me.:)

Every considered doing the install yourself?? you could save yourself alot of money plus you would know how everything was installed..now for your options.

i have heard decent things about focal stuff...should be ok..
is there some reason you are using a shallow mount sub?? not to mention earthquake is kinda lowend stuff..

But basically all i am sayin is..you should be able to get a really decent amp for 1 12 for about $200...good speakers up front for $100...good sub for about $150...install it all yourself, save money and sound better

maddskillzz
03-22-2009, 09:38 AM
oh yeah...by the way...nice car:D

agrogasboy
03-22-2009, 09:46 AM

Thanks.

I just specified to the shop I went to that I still need some trunk space. probably why the recommended a shallow sub? Am just assuming that's why.

What brand/model amp & sub would you recommend? Something mid-range, value for money, that I will be satisfied with, forever...

As for the installation, i wouldn't want to risk installing anything myself, being new at this. So, i'm very much willing to pay a pro to do it.

agrogasboy
03-22-2009, 09:48 AM
If you have enough cash, you can do both options that will enhance your car more.

I 'd rather just do a one-time expense... and keep it as simple as possible. I like the idea of a sub in the back, an amp, then decent front speakers.

05fronty
03-22-2009, 09:59 AM

x2 been looking at the 09's

maddskillzz
03-22-2009, 10:04 AM
well since you are going to pay for the install, what brand subs/amps does your shop carry?

if possible i would go with a Alpine 10 Type R. or an RE SE 10...i say 10 because you wanna keep alot of your trunk space..FYI RE's sound awesome in small sealed enclosures..
And for an amp i would go with anything namebrand, you will here alot about dirty power and clipping but as long as the amp pushes what the sub is rated for you should never get into this..but for reference..sundowns are awesome..kicker makes good amps...us amps....

You also said in an earlier post you wanted the sound to be really clear...if you have the money replace the front speakers with components and a small 50-100w amp..

maddskillzz
03-22-2009, 10:05 AM
x2 been looking at the 09's

never drove one but they say these things will out run the wrath of god...lol

agrogasboy
03-22-2009, 10:10 AM

It is a fun drive... crappy stock sound system though. Hoping to fix that soon, so it'll be even more fun.

05fronty
03-22-2009, 10:13 AM

;) this is why i have been looking at it over the lancer

maddskillzz
03-22-2009, 10:14 AM
It is a fun drive... crappy stock sound system though. Hoping to fix that soon, so it'll be even more fun.

you never did say what your local shop carries? they tend to only want to install what they sell

05fronty
03-22-2009, 10:14 AM
also like above posts said, get a small 10,set of components, and a couple of amps.

agrogasboy
03-22-2009, 10:15 AM
well since you are going to pay for the install, what brand subs/amps does your shop carry?

if possible i would go with a Alpine 10 Type R. or an RE SE 10...i say 10 because you wanna keep alot of your trunk space..FYI RE's sound awesome in small sealed enclosures..
And for an amp i would go with anything namebrand, you will here alot about dirty power and clipping but as long as the amp pushes what the sub is rated for you should never get into this..but for reference..sundowns are awesome..kicker makes good amps...us amps....

You also said in an earlier post you wanted the sound to be really clear...if you have the money replace the front speakers with components and a small 50-100w amp..

Both focal speakers recommended by the shop are components. The tweeters will be located by the AC vents, wile the speakers fit into the doors with a litttle modification to the bracket, replacing the stock speakers.

thaster
03-22-2009, 10:17 AM
buy everything in my sig except the ported box. go with a 1 cu ft seal box for maximum trunk space.

agrogasboy
03-22-2009, 11:10 AM
you never did say what your local shop carries? they tend to only want to install what they sell

My bad. They carry Focal, Morel, JBL, JL Audio, Kicker, Infinity, MB Quart, Soundstream, Polk, Rockford, Steg, RE Audio, Helix, Micro Precision, Peerless, JBL, Alpine, Boston Acoustics, Hifonics, Image Dynamics, Sound Magus. (as per their website)

agrogasboy
03-23-2009, 09:35 PM

The local shop carries a broad range of brands: Focal, Morel, Infinity, Polk Audio, Boston Acoustics, JBL, JL Audio, Kicker, Soundstream, Steg, Audiovox, Alpine, Kenwood, Jensen, JVC, MB Quart, Pioneer, Rainbow, Rockford Fosgate, Sound Magus, Peerless, Hifonics, Micro Precision, Image Dynamincs, Hertz, Helix...

bulldoggg
03-24-2009, 09:44 AM
The local shop carries a broad range of brands: Focal, Morel, Infinity, Polk Audio, Boston Acoustics, JBL, JL Audio, Kicker, Soundstream, Steg, Audiovox, Alpine, Kenwood, Jensen, JVC, MB Quart, Pioneer, Rainbow, Rockford Fosgate, Sound Magus, Peerless, Hifonics, Micro Precision, Image Dynamincs, Hertz, Helix...

If I were you, id get a jl audio 300/4 amp for my fronts comps and rear coax's( I would do rears). A jl audio 500/1 for a sub. A jl audio 10w3 subwoofer in a sealed box and cdt audio components for the front and coax's for the rear.

Sound deadning the doors and trunk do make a pretty big difference. If you wanna do it right the first time it would be a good idea to include it. With the components above installed correctly you should have a very good sounding system that sounds good no matter what kind of music you play thru it...

LaserRed38
03-24-2009, 11:56 AM
He didn't say they carried CDT. And from the brands listed, he could do way better for his money.

OP how much do you want to spend tops? Have you considered wiring/electrical/battery upgrades? With a modest low-powered system you are planning, they wouldn't be necessary, but it is always better to have all your bases covered (especially if you want to upgrade in the future...which you will!).

From the brands listed I would only buy: Alpine, Focal, Morel, Polk, Boston, ID, Rainbow, Peerless, Hertz, Helix, JBL, JL (amps and subs, don't care for their speaker line), Steg (may be out of your price range).

You could do a nice little set-up with a bunch of those brands listed. And if your car is anything like my cousin's 04 WRX, then your car is a tin can and sound deadening is a must! The doors are so light and tinny, if you throw any kind of nice midbass in them I'm sure they will buzz all over. That and road noise is very pronounced in these cars (well at least the older ones). I would have the shop deaden both front and rear doors, the roof, rear deck and trunk at least. I wouldn't want to pay for the labor for deadening, but you seem to not want to tear apart your fairly new car, or else I would be doing the whole floor and underbody too. I love the sound of the turbo flat four though!

Let us know how much you are willing to spend altogether. Consider wiring and deadening into this total. I'm thinking as far as weight/space savings I would get an Alpine PDX4.150 or PDX-5. I would look into the Image Dynamics CTX65CS components and IDQ12v.3 sub (does very well in small sealed enclosures). Of course with all the other brands listed you could put together a bunch of nice systems. It just depends how much you want to spend. By the way, those cars have 5.25 or 6.5 speakers in the front doors?

bulldoggg
03-24-2009, 12:14 PM
www.woofersetc.com. have cdt speaks on sale and in my opinion they're better sounding than any of the other brands that the shop your dealing with sell. That's why I suggested them. I think you could get the system I suggest for about the same if not a litttle less than what they quoted you for the focal/earthquake setup and I think you'll be super happy with it. Happier than with the focal/ earthquake setup. Fyi, focal tweeters are like laser beams. They're extremely bright which some people like, but they give other people(like me) a headache if you listen to them for more than 20 min.

agrogasboy
03-24-2009, 12:58 PM

Appreciate your advice on what to get and how best to set it up, just to get good sound quality.

agrogasboy
03-24-2009, 01:03 PM
He didn't say they carried CDT. And from the brands listed, he could do way better for his money.

OP how much do you want to spend tops? Have you considered wiring/electrical/battery upgrades? With a modest low-powered system you are planning, they wouldn't be necessary, but it is always better to have all your bases covered (especially if you want to upgrade in the future...which you will!).

From the brands listed I would only buy: Alpine, Focal, Morel, Polk, Boston, ID, Rainbow, Peerless, Hertz, Helix, JBL, JL (amps and subs, don't care for their speaker line), Steg (may be out of your price range).

You could do a nice little set-up with a bunch of those brands listed. And if your car is anything like my cousin's 04 WRX, then your car is a tin can and sound deadening is a must! The doors are so light and tinny, if you throw any kind of nice midbass in them I'm sure they will buzz all over. That and road noise is very pronounced in these cars (well at least the older ones). I would have the shop deaden both front and rear doors, the roof, rear deck and trunk at least. I wouldn't want to pay for the labor for deadening, but you seem to not want to tear apart your fairly new car, or else I would be doing the whole floor and underbody too. I love the sound of the turbo flat four though!

Let us know how much you are willing to spend altogether. Consider wiring and deadening into this total. I'm thinking as far as weight/space savings I would get an Alpine PDX4.150 or PDX-5. I would look into the Image Dynamics CTX65CS components and IDQ12v.3 sub (does very well in small sealed enclosures). Of course with all the other brands listed you could put together a bunch of nice systems. It just depends how much you want to spend. By the way, those cars have 5.25 or 6.5 speakers in the front doors?

front doors fit 6.5in, rear 4in (which i feel is useless).

i want my max to be $800, including sound deadening front doors and trunk. i don't even intend on upgrading (i think). is that possible?

agrogasboy
03-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Is it possible to get a 2-channel amp and a 10in sub, then hook up from component speakers (focals probably) to the head unit? Would that be sufficient, or I should really power the front speakers through an amp? what brand/power of amp? 2-channel or 4-channel...

Apologies for the many questions. I'm really ignorant about car audio. Appreciate everyone's time and honest advice.

bulldoggg
03-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Is it possible to get a 2-channel amp and a 10in sub, then hook up from component speakers (focals probably) to the head unit? Would that be sufficient, or I should really power the front speakers through an amp? what brand/power of amp? 2-channel or 4-channel...

Apologies for the many questions. I'm really ignorant about car audio. Appreciate everyone's time and honest advice.

Would this be sufficient? Well that would be up to you to decide after it is instaled. I don't think this will sound very good though and I would almost guarantee you would eventually upgrade or be bummed you didn't just leave it stock. If you wanna do it once do it right and don't cheap out. If $800 including install is the most you can spend right now maybe you should hold off and save up a little more. Otherwise I have a feeling your gonna be dissapointed...

LaserRed38
03-24-2009, 03:51 PM
His location is "Phillipines". Pretty sure you wouldn't want to pay shipping fees across the Pacific. I agree on the Focal tweeters, but IMO the CDT tweeters are almost as harsh. The higher end Focal stuff is nice for sure, but out of his range.

OP, he is right though. $800 including labor, deadening, wiring and your actual components...being installed at a professional shop...is not enough to where you will be satisfied. Because I have learned my lesson, I will give you my experience. I had my first "real" system installed by Sound Innovations in Hayward, CA. Ernie, the owner, was one of the nicest guys I have met in the business. He worked with me on prices too. That being said, to have four speakers, wiring, deadening on my doors, and a box made, I paid $1000 just in labor. The price you pay to have it "done right". For reference, this shop has had about 25 cars featured in Car Audio Mag. They work on Ferraris and Bentley, etc. in addition to the average HU install. My point is, you're going to pay a LOT for a professional install.

Again I think you would be very satisfied with the tiny Alpine PDX 4.150, which is underrated. I'D components in front and ID sub sealed in back. You could leave your stock rears in for passengers off the HU, but not necessary. Deadening I think you could do yourself to save money. Or maybe have them do your doors if you don't want to take them apart yourself, and do the trunk yourself. Look into the Subaru forums for more help. There are surely people on those sites that have done audio installs on their own cars and took detailed pics of how to do stuff. You could even find someone in your area to help out. After my experience and finding this site I have become a lot more comfortable working on my own car. Now I just don't have the time to work on it though. So a lot of my installs are rushed and half assed, but they get the job done and I can tweak settings on the HU to compensate. However I know my limits and know my installs aren't "Sound Innovations" quality yet and I'm okay with that. Consider all the advice you've been given and maybe you'll want to rethink your next step....

agrogasboy
03-25-2009, 12:28 PM
thanks for all your valuable advice!

sarge_in
03-25-2009, 02:07 PM
Hi,

I am going through similar questions right now, with almost similar budget. I have realized that having a dealer who would work for you on the prices can make all the difference. Also, you may decide to do things in phases (which is what I am planning on)

I am thinking of going with:

Focal 165KR - (new model) they have a better tweet i hear than the harsh ones in lower lines
Rockford Fosgate P400-4 amp (or may go with Arc Audio KS300.4, not sure yet -> this will be more expensive)
Dynamat for the front doors

The above, including installation, for $750 - $800.

If/when I later decide to add the sub, I may run it off the same amp and drive the rears through HU. That may not work if you need big bass, but its a decent option if you want to save money and/or have limited space.

Best of luck!

agrogasboy
03-28-2009, 02:33 AM
Hi,

I am going through similar questions right now, with almost similar budget. I have realized that having a dealer who would work for you on the prices can make all the difference. Also, you may decide to do things in phases (which is what I am planning on)

I am thinking of going with:

Focal 165KR - (new model) they have a better tweet i hear than the harsh ones in lower lines
Rockford Fosgate P400-4 amp (or may go with Arc Audio KS300.4, not sure yet -> this will be more expensive)
Dynamat for the front doors

The above, including installation, for $750 - $800.

If/when I later decide to add the sub, I may run it off the same amp and drive the rears through HU. That may not work if you need big bass, but its a decent option if you want to save money and/or have limited space.

Best of luck!

Hey... thanks. I'll look into the KR's. I've heard from more than one person that focals can get harsh. Pls do keep me posted on how the KR's sound.

Did you consider Morel? Higher end Boston Acoustic? Rainbow? I've been told they sound great and are not as harsh.

Same as you, i'm looking to do this right the first time, so i'm also doing this in phases. In my case though, i'll use second skin, damplifier pro, on doors & trunk first. Speakers next. Amp & sub maybe late this year or next year.

Appreciate more feedback and suggestions...