PDA

View Full Version : Is it hard to install an alarm?

Andrew_as
03-20-2009, 10:49 PM
Ive never installed an alarm. I just bought the autopage RS-1000. Need it installed on a 98 f150. No chip in the key. Was wondering how hard it would be to do myself. I know someone that would install it for 100 bucks. Would i be better off just paying the 100 to get it done?

99grandprixGT
03-20-2009, 10:51 PM
its not easy. i helped my friend out on one, deff takes some time and reading. when i get mine ill be letting someone install it.haha

jdawg
03-20-2009, 10:51 PM
if you are even asking this then take it to someone else

Andrew_as
03-20-2009, 10:54 PM
if you are even asking this then take it to someone else

lol id like to know how to do it but if its to much work id rather pay. guess its not looking hooking up a cd player lol

jdawg
03-20-2009, 11:04 PM
its a pain in the *** :fyi:

Andrew_as
03-20-2009, 11:07 PM
k. im a little low on cash. so i was going to try doing it myself. but ill just pay and save the headache

Buck
03-20-2009, 11:08 PM
i went cross eyed from all the wires in my viper 5901.

Andrew_as
03-20-2009, 11:11 PM
i went cross eyed from all the wires in my viper 5901.

lol i thought only half the wires were used lol

Buck
03-20-2009, 11:15 PM
lol i thought only half the wires were used lol

they just didn't use set of wires. it was the set that opens the trunk. i don't have a trunk.

Fiercetimbo17
03-20-2009, 11:19 PM
I can tell you right now there is no way you will be able to install it correctly.

Pay someone who really knows what they are doing to do it.

Who is this guy that will do it for $100? I would never do an alarm/remote start for $100

dbman150
03-20-2009, 11:24 PM
its a 45 min job if you need the wiring sheet on it let me no

Andrew_as
03-20-2009, 11:26 PM
I can tell you right now there is no way you will be able to install it correctly.

Pay someone who really knows what they are doing to do it.

Who is this guy that will do it for $100? I would never do an alarm/remote start for $100

its a guy here in town that works at the local shop. he is a really good installer. hes a friends friend... so im getting the hook up

Andrew_as
03-20-2009, 11:26 PM

lol you cant be serious. i know its more than 45 min

Buck
03-20-2009, 11:27 PM

ya maybe if you have like 3 people working on it.

blackdragonaudi
03-20-2009, 11:40 PM
I am going to be doing mine myself for a few reasons. The first is that I will know its done right you can not trust install shops at all. Second I want to do it. And I am going to have a ton of false wires and a false brain to throw them off. Also have the time to install it take my time and if it takes 4 days thats how long it will take but I want to do it.

dbman150
03-20-2009, 11:42 PM
ya maybe if you have like 3 people working on it.

no its not a hard install on a 98 f150 its rather easy, are you hooking up a remote start also

Andrew_as
03-20-2009, 11:44 PM
4 days.......dam

blackdragonaudi
03-20-2009, 11:46 PM
IF thats what it takes!!!!

Andrew_as
03-20-2009, 11:55 PM
yea remote start too

Enellz
03-20-2009, 11:57 PM
I'm going to try to install my remort start Sunday. If anyone has the 791XV wiring instructions LMK.

dbman150
03-20-2009, 11:59 PM
polarity

battery grn/vio + ignition switch harness
ignition blu/grn + " "
starter 1 red/lt blu + " "
door trigger blk/lt blu(+) high drives kick in harness
parking light brn + in harness in drivers kick
horn - at steering column
factory disarm dk grn/vio - drivers kick panel

Andrew_as
03-21-2009, 12:03 AM
ok so im confussed. should i go for it or just pay 100? time frame on how long it would take me to wire alarm and remote start

dbman150
03-21-2009, 12:05 AM
dude i see your lost just have someone do it for you

Redlineaudio
03-21-2009, 12:06 AM
they just didn't use set of wires. it was the set that opens the trunk. i don't have a trunk.

I cant find the dang vid, but we used a spare output like that and set it to pop the hood of a guys truck.

an alarm with RS and keyless is up there in the hard rating. I have done one so far and it was not enjoyable.

Andrew_as
I had my 791xv installed for a $100 with the remote start and a few extra sirens in the car. And It took the guy close to 3hours and 2 rolls of electrical tape, and a **** load of electrical connectors. It looked like he was doing yoga under the dash of my crx. Man I know his back was killing him when he was done. But he did a great job. He knew I knew what I was talking about. And I knew what to look for. And he showed me all the connections before he taped everything up.

But IMO find a repeatable caraudio shop and have them do it. Even if its a little more. remember they are messing with the main electrical of your car. A few crossed wires, and you calling for rides to get to work.

lol. the guy that works at the shop that i know is a **** good installer. He is doing it on the side for me if i want him to.

x1le
ok so im confussed. should i go for it or just pay 100? time frame on how long it would take me to wire alarm and remote start

If you're inexperienced probably a full day. But it's definitely do-able.

Enellz
03-21-2009, 12:10 AM
I had my 791xv installed for a $100 with the remote start and a few extra sirens in the car. And It took the guy close to 3hours and 2 rolls of electrical tape, and a **** load of electrical connectors. It looked like he was doing yoga under the dash of my crx. Man I know his back was killing him when he was done. But he did a great job. He knew I knew what I was talking about. And I knew what to look for. And he showed me all the connections before he taped everything up.

But IMO find a repeatable caraudio shop and have them do it. Even if its a little more. remember they are messing with the main electrical of your car. A few crossed wires, and you calling for rides to get to work.

Yeah I had CC install mine. It's your basic install though, just alarm. I'm a hook up the trunk release, and the remote start. I love a challenge though, it's kinds like woman. Talk game hard enough and you'll eventually get them panies. LOL

Louisiana_CRX
03-21-2009, 12:26 AM
they are pretty straight forward...try www.bulldogsecurity.com for your wiring diagram...an alarm takes about 45 minutes....usually another 45 or so for the remote start if you know what your doing...:)

maddskillzz
03-21-2009, 08:03 AM
I put one in my F-150 and it didnt have power door locks..LOL...so i had to put the accuators on the door locks and the alarm in..that was a bish.. took all day

SoundConnection
04-01-2009, 09:27 PM
I am going to be doing mine myself for a few reasons. The first is that I will know its done right you can not trust install shops at all. Second I want to do it. And I am going to have a ton of false wires and a false brain to throw them off. Also have the time to install it take my time and if it takes 4 days thats how long it will take but I want to do it.

I sit back a lot on here and let the shop bashing go on without saying anything most times but I gotta be a **** on this one.

So a shop with experienced installers who do these jobs on a daily basis and have the training to deal with any problems that come up knows less about doing this and will do a poor job conpared to you who has no idea what to do, where to start, let alone trouble shoot anything. We are in business for a reason and work on vehicles daily with no damages. Why not trust a shop? If you don't trust the installers at your local shop you need to find a better quality shop. Remote starts and alarms are not something to be taken lightly. There is a lot that can go wrong while installing one if you don't know what your are doing. How are you planning on testing your wires? DMM or a test light? Or are you just planning to trust that the tech info you get is correct? One wrong wire or grounding the wrong wire and kiss your bcm, ecu, or airbag circuits good bye. That will cost you a lot more than the $100 to have it installed. Let alone a shop will charge you just as much if not more once you get halfway through it and relize you are in over your head.

Sorry for the rant, but I have had enough with the shop bashing. Yes we are a business, that means we exist to make money. We do that through selling products at the prices the manufactures tell us to. We charge what we do for installs because we have rent to pay, lights to keep on, and the installers have families to feed. Keep that in mind.

Worlddre
04-01-2009, 11:06 PM
I sit back a lot on here and let the shop bashing go on without saying anything most times but I gotta be a **** on this one.

So a shop with experienced installers who do these jobs on a daily basis and have the training to deal with any problems that come up knows less about doing this and will do a poor job conpared to you who has no idea what to do, where to start, let alone trouble shoot anything. We are in business for a reason and work on vehicles daily with no damages. Why not trust a shop? If you don't trust the installers at your local shop you need to find a better quality shop. Remote starts and alarms are not something to be taken lightly. There is a lot that can go wrong while installing one if you don't know what your are doing. How are you planning on testing your wires? DMM or a test light? Or are you just planning to trust that the tech info you get is correct? One wrong wire or grounding the wrong wire and kiss your bcm, ecu, or airbag circuits good bye. That will cost you a lot more than the $100 to have it installed. Let alone a shop will charge you just as much if not more once you get halfway through it and relize you are in over your head.

Sorry for the rant, but I have had enough with the shop bashing. Yes we are a business, that means we exist to make money. We do that through selling products at the prices the manufactures tell us to. We charge what we do for installs because we have rent to pay, lights to keep on, and the installers have families to feed. Keep that in mind.

my hero right here a-*******-men

SentraStyleEMW
04-02-2009, 12:59 AM
Not to mention that when there is supposed to be a red/white wire in the kick panel and you look and see seven of them...how are you going to be sure you have the right wire? Remote starts for an installer of average speed (I'm not fast by any means, but quality is better than quantity in my eyes) will take 2-3 hours to do. If you've never done one, and have all the equipment to test wires and such...you're probably looking at the 7-8 hour mark (if not a whole day). I recommend to read through the install manual. If it makes sense to you, go ahead and do it. But if you have even the slightest bit of hesitation...leave it to someone with a clue.

blkbeater
04-02-2009, 01:01 AM
PAY FOR IT. i deal with ppl all the time commin in sayin i tried to install it and have no clue what theyre doin so we have to remove/fix what they did and re-install it

blkbeater
04-02-2009, 01:03 AM
Not to mention that when there is supposed to be a red/white wire in the kick panel and you look and see seven of them...how are you going to be sure you have the right wire? Remote starts for an installer of average speed (I'm not fast by any means, but quality is better than quantity in my eyes) will take 2-3 hours to do. If you've never done one, and have all the equipment to test wires and such...you're probably looking at the 7-8 hour mark (if not a whole day). I recommend to read through the install manual. If it makes sense to you, go ahead and do it. But if you have even the slightest bit of hesitation...leave it to someone with a clue.

exactly my store installed 6,000 starters over x-mas time and depending on the car it takes newhere from 1.5 hrs (with an installer who knows the car like the back of their hand) to 4 hrs. have you seen how many wires are in the box

fasfocus00
04-02-2009, 01:10 AM
i've had bad experiences. I was at DEI training. I was the lucky one and got the new S class. my test light touched the wrong wire and BANG, passenger side airbag blows out. needless to say it was a test vehicle. I got back to the shop and we get an S class, this time I hit the jackpot and blew both passenger and driver side airbags. $5k worth of airbags and i've never touched an alarm since.

SentraStyleEMW
04-02-2009, 01:14 AM
i've had bad experiences. I was at DEI training. I was the lucky one and got the new S class. my test light touched the wrong wire and BANG, passenger side airbag blows out. needless to say it was a test vehicle. I got back to the shop and we get an S class, this time I hit the jackpot and blew both passenger and driver side airbags. $5k worth of airbags and i've never touched an alarm since.

And that my friend is why I will never use a test light on a new car...unlike a DMM, testlights can actually put voltage on a wire (which could result in damage or air bag deployment).

blkbeater
04-02-2009, 01:16 AM
we go through the snake pit training (dei) and u learn alot

fasfocus00
04-02-2009, 01:27 AM
And that my friend is why I will never use a test light on a new car...unlike a DMM, testlights can actually put voltage on a wire (which could result in damage or air bag deployment).

they did tell me to get a DMM b/c testlights do run the risk of damaging things or blowing an airbag or 2. iirc the guys name was Brian that shook his head before I got in that S Class, and he did call it. he said "I bet that kid is gonna blow an airbag".

SoundConnection
04-03-2009, 10:05 AM
they did tell me to get a DMM b/c testlights do run the risk of damaging things or blowing an airbag or 2. iirc the guys name was Brian that shook his head before I got in that S Class, and he did call it. he said "I bet that kid is gonna blow an airbag".

So your instructor who you are paying to teach you how to do things the right way tells you not to and you ignore him. Then you blow an airbag doing what he told you not to do. After blowing an airbag doing things the wrong way you proceed to do the same thing again having not learned a f-ing thing. And people wonder why shops don't want to hire install school graduates? You are the type of installer that gives us good installer a bad rep.

blackdragonaudi
04-04-2009, 11:20 AM
As long as you take your time have a repair manual and know how to read a diagram and have a long weekend or in my case a long week. To install it you should be fine of coarse I probably know a little more than the normal person and know enough of what to do.

JarvisB
04-07-2009, 12:38 PM
i plan to get viper xv791 soon and I am going to have a shop do it..

I am an **** when it comes to installing things, I like everything to be perfect so I dont trust myself that I would do a perfect install so I prefer to have a shop do it and if they mess up, they will have to take care of it (of course I hope that will not happen at all)

You get what you pay for I guess?

hornedfrog1985
04-07-2009, 12:42 PM

lofl. You don't sound brite. Stove hot, don't touch stove.