PDA

View Full Version : Where to get 3-way 12" Floor speakers?

Bass911
03-17-2009, 01:03 PM
I've been looking and the only ones I see that look OK are Cerwin Vega. Where can I find different brands with a good 12" sub with good bass? I remember there use to be a lot of brands to choose from, but it looks like they've switched to skinny tower speakers? I need big sound, not some skinny tower speaker or ugly DJ PA looking speaker. This guy I use to know had some cheap off brand stereo with 2 3-way floor standing speakers. I think it said Fisher for the brand, but I could be wrong. It was clear, loud, accurate, and the 12's were hitting hard and picking up all the real low stuff. It was one of the best home systems I've heard.

Any suggestions where to find these speakers? What brands should I look at?

JimJ
03-17-2009, 01:42 PM
I don't know of any pre-built ones that are worth it, but Madisound used to sell an Eton kit with a 12" midbass.

Reimers
03-17-2009, 05:22 PM
try the cerwin vega ve12 or the cls12 they play **** god for the price. but they need a god amp to get realy god. i have had cls12 whit 400wrms + on each and they played ekstreme loud

Bass911
03-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Reimers, What about the bass response? Do they play 30 hertz bass lines pretty good? I know the CV's are loud, but I need good low bass response.

DidUHearThat?
03-17-2009, 07:38 PM
The trend is to smaller speakers because now most people use a seperate active subwoofer. So 12's in the mains are not needed.
If your looking for real low frequency performance you should build up a set of nice dual 12's or 15's subs with a plate amp (or two). I built one from PartsExpress. Look at the Titianic or other Dayton subs with a BASH plate amp for great bang for your buck.

Scoobydoo
03-17-2009, 07:48 PM
look for a white van in a walmart or kmart parking lot

Bass911
03-18-2009, 01:42 AM
Yeah, I might do the parts express thing. I already have some skinny tower speakers and a active subwoofer, but that doesn't compare to those CV's for music. The speakers I have say Digital Research. They have 2 5.25 speakers, 1 silk tweeter, and 1 10" woofer on each tower, and they sound like they need more power. I need to do some more research. I've just never heard those other setups with active subs sounding better than good 3-way floor standing speakers.

JimJ
03-18-2009, 01:55 AM
look for a white van in a walmart or kmart parking lot

Hey, that might be me! :D

bball09124
03-18-2009, 02:01 AM
Yeah, I might do the parts express thing. I already have some skinny tower speakers and a active subwoofer, but that doesn't compare to those CV's for music. The speakers I have say Digital Research. They have 2 5.25 speakers, 1 silk tweeter, and 1 10" woofer on each tower, and they sound like they need more power. I need to do some more research. I've just never heard those other setups with active subs sounding better than good 3-way floor standing speakers.

..... and that would be one of those infamous "white van" scam brands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speakers

Buy some real towers, add a halfway decent active sub, and it will destroy the crap you have now.

jdawg
03-18-2009, 02:09 AM
build this ****
http://www.parts-express.com/projectshowcase/indexn.cfm?project=MagnaCumLaude

http://www.parts-express.com/projectshowcase/magna/magna-lg.jpg

Reimers
03-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Reimers, What about the bass response? Do they play 30 hertz bass lines pretty good? I know the CV's are loud, but I need good low bass response.

my clsc12 played nice down to about 28hz

Bass911
03-20-2009, 03:33 PM
I didn't get them from a white van, but I knew about the white van thing long before I got them. They also sold them on ebay. I got them for cheap at a garage sell nib. Imo, they are not crap. I had Polk and Bose before these and they sound good even underpowered. When I crank them, people always ask what kind of speakers are those. I'm building some if all the CV's are gone. Those skinny towers won't do for a house party. What club or concert hall do you know that has switched to small tower speakers?

bball09124
03-20-2009, 07:01 PM
I didn't get them from a white van, but I knew about the white van thing long before I got them. They also sold them on ebay. I got them for cheap at a garage sell nib. Imo, they are not crap. I had Polk and Bose before these and they sound good even underpowered. When I crank them, people always ask what kind of speakers are those. I'm building some if all the CV's are gone. Those skinny towers won't do for a house party. What club or concert hall do you know that has switched to small tower speakers?

What club or concert hall do you know that is the size of a house?

RAM_Designs
03-20-2009, 07:03 PM
craigslist

silvercookie
03-21-2009, 11:43 AM
craigslist.

DidUHearThat?
03-21-2009, 12:47 PM

If your interested in house party style speakers you should seriously consider building those speakers jdawg posted a link to. They are called magnacumlaude's. Perfect for what you want. Follow the link.

Yes, most concert halls and clubs have moved to smaller, compact more powerfull speakers than we used to use. Modern line array's are tiny compared to the giant blocks of speakers we used to use. They sound better too.

JimJ
03-21-2009, 12:50 PM
I don't know, ex-theater Altecs, given bi-amplification and supertweets, are some of the best sounding speakers I've heard used in a home :)

DidUHearThat?
03-21-2009, 12:55 PM
I don't know, ex-theater Altecs, given bi-amplification and supertweets, are some of the best sounding speakers I've heard used in a home :)

Do you have classic "Voice of the Theater" speakers? :D

I still see these occasionally.

http://voodoochile.flyingcart.com/images/10-23-07_1807.jpg

JimJ
03-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Do you have classic "Voice of the Theater" speakers?

Not right now, but I'd love to get a pair when I have the room for them...:)

Bass911
03-24-2009, 07:50 PM
What club or concert hall do you know that is the size of a house?

I guess you're trying to make yourself seem brighter than me or something. Yes, I have been in a house and an apartment just as big as a small club. That is still not the point. I've been in numerous sound rooms listening to those towers with an active sub and it is possible for it to sound better, but it's still not loud enough. Why do people put 4 15 inch subs in the trunk of a car? I can play the "what do know game" all day!

Flipx99
04-08-2009, 02:26 PM
build this ****
http://www.parts-express.com/projectshowcase/indexn.cfm?project=MagnaCumLaude

http://www.parts-express.com/projectshowcase/magna/magna-lg.jpg

Some of the parts for this project have been discontinues.