PDA

View Full Version : Sealed 13 w7

wvufootball
03-16-2009, 12:53 PM
I'm bout to make the switch from ported to sealed. Most of the comments I have seen say to put in in a bigger sealed box then what JL calls for. How much bigger?2.0cf? more? Thanks for any advice!

I have a JBL BP1200.1 powering it. I am switching from ported because I want more detail on the low bass guitar notes, and I also want something different.

wvufootball
03-17-2009, 11:34 AM
so after a little research, I found that a 2.5cf box gives a qtc of .707...can someone confirm this for me? Thank you!

DonH
03-17-2009, 01:22 PM
why would you throw a dub 7 in a sealed enclosure???? why are you switching?

Annnarbor84
03-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Why sealed:rolleyes:

rollerdj
03-17-2009, 01:33 PM
i had one in a pro wedge box, witch was sealed. i hated it. had good output, but muddy as hell on the double bass. i think it was 2 ft^3 IIRC.

Fiercetimbo17
03-17-2009, 01:37 PM
I had mine in about that size sealed box, hated it dont waste your time

wvufootball
03-17-2009, 02:38 PM
What would you guys do then? Keep in mind my goal here is to get it sounding the best it possibly can. I want to have punch up top for rock music.

I've had it in a JL spec ported box for 3 years and I want something new. I listen to 80% rock 20%rap

I also would like to save some trunk space so sealed does appeal to me.

rollerdj
03-17-2009, 02:40 PM
honest opinon. if you wanted to stay with JL, do the w6v2. my single 12 in 1.75 ft^3 had amazing SQ. there are also other subs out there that would do better than teh w7 for SQ.

DonH
03-17-2009, 02:40 PM
What would you guys do then? Keep in mind my goal here is to get it sounding the best it possibly can. I want to have punch up top for rock music.

I've had it in a JL spec ported box for 3 years and I want something new. I listen to 80% rock 20%rap

I also would like to save some trunk space so sealed does appeal to me.

and you have a w7 because??

bro 4.5 ported to around 32 hz

wvufootball
03-17-2009, 02:42 PM
I'm not switching subs. I just want to get my dub 7 sounding the best it possibly can. I'm open to bandpass too but I've never built one before and wouldn't know the 1st thing about desiging the plans for one and I don't want to pay someone for plans.

Again, output doesn't matter. I'm not like the other 90% of this board. I am moving past my basshead days. I want my **** to sound good, not to just be loud.

Keep the advice coming!

I should mention the car is a 2000 civic coupe so I have limited trunk space. My old Jl spec ported wouldn't fit from my old car.

DonH
03-17-2009, 02:47 PM
I'm not switching subs. I just want to get my dub 7 sounding the best it possibly can. I'm open to bandpass too but I've never built one before and wouldn't know the 1st thing about desiging the plans for one and I don't want to pay someone for plans.

Again, output doesn't matter. I'm not like the other 90% of this board. I am moving past my basshead days. I want my **** to sound good, not to just be loud.

Keep the advice coming!

I should mention the car is a 2000 civic coupe so I have limited trunk space. My old Jl spec ported wouldn't fit from my old car.

make it fit :fyi:

wvufootball
03-17-2009, 02:49 PM
That box is already in the trash anyways. So as of now I have no box.

Why are you guys so against sealed? I would think with all that displacement its asking to be put in a sealed box?

DonH
03-17-2009, 02:52 PM

Why are you guys so against sealed? I would think with all that displacement its asking to be put in a sealed box?

im not against sealed :fyi: im against a sealed enclosure FOR THAT WOOFER!

wvufootball
03-17-2009, 02:55 PM
I didn't mean to say against all sealed boxes...just my application...

And 4.5cubes is out of the question. I don't wanna stuff that in my trunk

How big would a bandpass be?

rollerdj
03-17-2009, 02:56 PM

i love sealed boxes. 90% of the ones i've owned were sealed. however, this sub hates sealed. thats why i suggested something else. trust me, i tryed, and it sounded like ***.

wvufootball
03-17-2009, 02:57 PM
How many boxes did you try sealed with your dub 7?

what sizes and power?

alexleon86
03-17-2009, 03:02 PM
I had the same set up u wanted but I changed it to the set up you just got rid of ahahah thats funny but yeah bro the bass sounds way cleaner and deeper sealed but I wanted the extra boom so i ported it and made the port trough the arm rest.:D

wvufootball
03-17-2009, 03:05 PM
What size sealed did you have?

This is funny I have one person that says it sounds cleaner and others that say it sounds like *** in a sealed box. I appreciate all the feedback and quick responses keep them coming.

rollerdj
03-17-2009, 03:10 PM
How many boxes did you try sealed with your dub 7?

what sizes and power?

http://cgi.ebay.com/JL-AUDIO-CLS113RG-W7-13W7-W7-SUB-WOOFER-BOX-ONLY-NEW_W0QQitemZ140305959900QQihZ004QQcategoryZ50568Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

had mine in that same box made by JL for that woofer. powered by a Orion 1200D. but i'm not the only one saying it ******.

wvufootball
03-17-2009, 03:14 PM
So you haven't heard it in any other sealed boxes?

DonH
03-17-2009, 03:15 PM
here is an idea......

make a box about 2 cubes sealed. then let us know how it sounds.

when you realize a w7 sealed sounds like grandma farting then you will come back and give max dims of your trunk so we can help you get a design that will fit and sound nice ported.

capice?

rollerdj
03-17-2009, 03:16 PM
nope. i'm going by what i've heard from other people that have tried it sealed.

rollerdj
03-17-2009, 03:17 PM
here is an idea......

when you realize a w7 sealed sounds like grandma farting then you will come back and give max dims of your trunk so we can help you get a design that will fit and sound nice ported.

capice?

indeed. i think a nice big box tuned low would sound great.

wvufootball
03-17-2009, 03:18 PM
here is an idea......

capice?

great advice. I'll get right on it. I don't want the exxagerated low end that comes with a low tuned ported setup.

Anyone else willing to offer there .02 on sealed dub7s?

DonH
03-17-2009, 03:24 PM
indeed. i think a nice big box tuned low would sound great.

IT DOES! i did a blowthrough for my buddy's silverado! had two w7's each in 4.5 cubes at ~30hz after box rise and ZOMG! It hurt haha

great advice. I'll get right on it. I don't want the exxagerated low end that comes with a low tuned ported setup.

Anyone else willing to offer there .02 on sealed dub7s?

get on it! find your local lumber yard!!!