PDA

View Full Version : Plexiglass

Bullet03
03-15-2009, 09:44 PM
If i wanted to do a plexiglass enclosure.. how do i go about it? the same as a wooden box?

TnT_Sounds
03-15-2009, 10:16 PM
Hope you have some money... Also you'd need to use 3/4" acrylic plexi

Bullet03
03-15-2009, 10:50 PM
well i was lookin online at custom encloursers and i saw a few plexiglass ones.. and just wanted to see how to do it.. and see if theres a big sound difference compared to MDF? if i were to do it, do i just do the same as wood? screw the sides together and seal it with silicone?

bonesninja
03-15-2009, 10:54 PM
well i was lookin online at custom encloursers and i saw a few plexiglass ones.. and just wanted to see how to do it.. and see if theres a big sound difference compared to MDF? if i were to do it, do i just do the same as wood? screw the sides together and seal it with silicone?

no....you use a special plastics glue to chemically seal it. And a proper wood box isn't just screwed together--its glued with wood glue

Bullet03
03-15-2009, 11:01 PM
yes i know theres more to a box than just screwed but my point of that statement was if i were to do it, would i still be using screws? not just the acrylic sealer? or is there a specific screw like connector i would need?

bonesninja
03-15-2009, 11:02 PM
yes i know theres more to a box than just screwed but my point of that statement was if i were to do it, would i still be using screws? not just the acrylic sealer? or is there a specific screw like connector i would need?

just plastic glue

Bullet03
03-15-2009, 11:03 PM
ok cool.. so any opinion on the sound difference? ive seen alot of boxes where they would have a plexiglass box around the actual box, but never heard just a plexiglass box? comments?

bonesninja
03-15-2009, 11:06 PM
ok cool.. so any opinion on the sound difference? ive seen alot of boxes where they would have a plexiglass box around the actual box, but never heard just a plexiglass box? comments?

not really a sound difference....its just for the "wow" or high end looks

TnT_Sounds
03-16-2009, 02:15 AM
more for looks.. I'd imagine if there where any difference in sound it's not noticeable. Also MDF is quite porous but you could resin the entire box and have virtual the same surface as an acrylic enclosure.

steveBeatz
03-16-2009, 02:17 AM
You don't have to use 3/4 Plexi, you can use thinner and just router out a place to mount the plexi on.. and glue and screw it down if you wanted to. Just be gentle screwing it.

TnT_Sounds
03-16-2009, 02:33 AM
You don't have to use 3/4 Plexi, you can use thinner and just router out a place to mount the plexi on.. and glue and screw it down if you wanted to. Just be gentle screwing it.

I believe he's talking about building the entire box out of plexi... Not just view panels.

steveBeatz
03-16-2009, 02:35 AM
OH sorry :( I feel stupid now hahha :D

ramos
03-16-2009, 08:30 AM
just plastic glue

This man is correct, must use an acrylic cement. It chemically melts the pieces together. :)

Mike465
03-16-2009, 11:12 AM
If you dont have the proper tools to build it then it is going to be cheaper to have someone build it. Your looking at around 200+ in tools parts just to do plexi

Bullet03
03-16-2009, 11:24 AM
yeah im talkin about doing the entire box out of plexi.. not sure that i will or not, just wanted to see how hard it would be and if it were even worth the amount of time and money compared to the sound qualty and looks. ive priced the plexi it would cost about 390 for the amout id need not counting tools

tRiGgEr
03-16-2009, 11:28 AM
You wont do it. It's not worth the money and hassle.

SPL Blazer
03-16-2009, 12:23 PM
I'd look into using a Lexan polycarbonate type plexi, it's extremely solid for plexi. I used sheets of that stuff years ago for amp racks and the 5/8" stuff wouldn't bend, so you flexing with bass wouldn't be much of an issue. With standard plexi you'd have to think about the panels flexing and possibly breaking the glued seal around the edges. This stuff isn't cheap though. The place I bought mine from years ago used to have 5/8", now the thickest is 1/2". Even the 1/2" runs about $50 for a 12x36 sheet, and a 24x48" is $132 each. It get's expensive, but if you want it to look good for a show car then it's worth it. Not really worth it for just a daily driver.