PDA

View Full Version : got Hertz 165's installed..BUT..

BreakingBad
03-14-2009, 05:49 PM
so right now my system is primarily the hertz hsk-165s i believe, with an arc audio amp...also a 18" XXX on 3kw.

the bass overwhelms everything on most rap songs, but there are a lot of songs where these components just aren't keeping up with (midbass).

is there any way to add speakers on TOP of what i currently have to boost the mid bass, or must i choose completely different components/amp?

michaellane
03-14-2009, 05:52 PM
well i suppose you could just buy some more midbass drivers?

SWFL
03-14-2009, 05:54 PM
grab another pair of comps and throw them in the kicks or something

Rich B
03-14-2009, 05:56 PM
It sounds like you have a 3,000w sub amp, and maybe 200w amp on your comps.

Its a severely imbalanced system......great for soundoff bumps but not for daily driving.

Realistically the only solution is to turn down the output of the sub amp.

faiz23
03-14-2009, 06:04 PM
It sounds like you have a 3,000w sub amp, and maybe 200w amp on your comps.

Its a severely imbalanced system......great for soundoff bumps but not for daily driving.

Realistically the only solution is to turn down the output of the sub amp.

what he said if you are broke,

if you want to have some fun and have extra funds yeah throw in another speaker, get a beefed up amp,

Have you deadeaned the doors and made them into a solid enclosure.

You need to run about 125-150 to the woofers, and out 75-100 to the tweet, and throw a midbass and push it with 120-150. tune that MOFO and you might need to upgrade the sub to keep up with the comps lol. i kid i kid nice sub btw

bamaboy
03-14-2009, 06:18 PM
install is going to have the most to do with midbass output, deadened doors, good sealed, etc, need a good bit of power too, hsk's have some nice midbass for their price

what is the xover at?

jacka
03-14-2009, 06:23 PM
so right now my system is primarily the hertz hsk-165s i believe,

uhh, what

Blue Fury
03-14-2009, 07:02 PM
The first thing that I would do that is least expensive is a remote knob for the bass amp.

BreakingBad
03-14-2009, 07:23 PM
i should have used different terminology.

the highs are great, the lows are great, the mid is lacking. i know deadening the doors will improve response/midbass, but the driver also plays a huge part too. i'm just thinking of adding some midbass drivers, but the question is...how big, and what are some top brands out? i'd like to leave the hsk165's in, just add to the midbass.

Blue Fury
03-14-2009, 07:28 PM
nothing beats an 8 IMO, but if you want a 6 then try the mach 5 mli.

t-money
03-14-2009, 08:53 PM
i should have used different terminology.

the highs are great, the lows are great, the mid is lacking. i know deadening the doors will improve response/midbass, but the driver also plays a huge part too. i'm just thinking of adding some midbass drivers, but the question is...how big, and what are some top brands out? i'd like to leave the hsk165's in, just add to the midbass.

no, you don't know how deadened doors really improve midbass.You have a capable driver, if your doors were deadened properly you would get the midbass you're looking for. Keep in mind that your running 3000 watts for bass, not many front stages are gonna keep up with that period. I have 400 watts going to my mlk 165's, and they can't keep up with my two mag 15's sharing 1500 watts when i really crank it. I guess you can add more speakers .:crap:

eharri3
03-14-2009, 09:31 PM
You went big on your sub stage, middle of the road on your front stage install, and now wonder why those mids aren't keeping up with the sub. Level matching doesn't begin with tuning, it begins with component selection.

I run HSK 165s off of 140 watts per side, in deadened doors (Not the caliber of job others have had done on their doors, mostly outter skin and some leftover dynamat on the inner skin) and they still do well for me in the midbass department. All bass appears to come from in front. The sub makes a huge difference though you don't realize how much unless I turn it off or turn it way down and you'll never know where it is by listening. And this is with the crossover at about 70-75 HZ. I could probably go to 60-65 and be fine since I'm not running a ridiculous amount of power, to the point where I could live with rolling around without my sub on.

What exactly are you looking for in your install? My advice:
First, look at crossovers. If I want my sub bass to be the centerpiece of my system it'd be tuned to 80-90 HZ and mids would be 5-10 HZ over that. If I wanted a nice blend Id keep the sub below 70 HZ, set the mids to 65-70 HZ or so, see how that works. If it's still not enough ease up on the sub amp gains or lower its volume at the head unit.

If you want to try to bring your midbass up to par rather than doing something to attenuate that sub, keep the mids and the tweets. Set the Hertz crossover aside. Incorporate a smaller mid range in some sort of on-axis position or else in the dash and angled for a good windshield reflection. Run active, look into tuning that midbass to play somewhere in the 60-250 HZ range, see how that works for you. If the mid breaks, find a tougher one and run it the same way. I think your best bet will be going active, finding a couple hundred more watts for dedicated midbass drivers, and then getting whatever midbass you use to do a convincing job between about 60 and 200-250 HZ.

Also is there any crossover overlap? If the sub and mids are playing too many of the same frequencies alot of the frequencies in the 60-100 HZ range end up canceling eachother out and you end up with a muddy booming sound somewhere in the center of the car rather than a clear, tight midbass from the fronts. You can make midbass come and go just by playing with different blends and gaps in crossover points.

BreakingBad
03-15-2009, 12:36 AM
the components keep up with the sub. it's in a sealed box, it gets LOUD when cranked, but i rarely crank it because of such high volume. only when im stoned, crusin or some ****. lol. but anyway, i plan on deadening but maybe terminology again hit this...when i say midbass, let me for example show you some songs in which i would like the bass to improve in (all of which have decent midbass)

three six - lolli
cham - ridin dirty
kanye - flashing lights
wayne - go dj

just examples of some songs where, the 18 picks up some of the frequencies decently, but misses most of them. when theres a bass roll or sweep or something, i only hear the last part, which are normally the lower freq's. i know this is expected from an 18 in a sealed enclosure..

but my question beyond deadening...i dont know much beyond what i have (car audio knowledge)...could i just get a set of 8's installed somewhere on top of everything, or would i need to buy more comp's and install them in the rear 2 doors?

bigbangtheory
03-15-2009, 08:13 AM
Why don't you just take it at steps. A couple people have mentioned that you should deaden your door, so start there. Get around 40sqft of deadener and do the inner and out panel of the door and you have some left over, you can hit up the inside of the door panel. Also get some sheet metal and self tapping screws and use them to cover any big holes and then deaden over that. It will help out a lot on midbass!

If you are still not happy with that, then get more midbass speakers, but you will have to most likely do some custom work, even if you go with 1 single 8" to replace what you have now. Most doors need custom work to fit something that big in it.

As far as the sub goes, not sure why you would be missing certain frequencies. Maybe it is your settings on your amp or deck. Could be many factors in it.

subzero
03-15-2009, 09:58 AM
Why don't you just take it at steps. A couple people have mentioned that you should deaden your door, so start there. Get around 40sqft of deadener and do the inner and out panel of the door and you have some left over, you can hit up the inside of the door panel. Also get some sheet metal and self tapping screws and use them to cover any big holes and then deaden over that. It will help out a lot on midbass!

If you are still not happy with that, then get more midbass speakers, but you will have to most likely do some custom work, even if you go with 1 single 8" to replace what you have now. Most doors need custom work to fit something that big in it.

As far as the sub goes, not sure why you would be missing certain frequencies. Maybe it is your settings on your amp or deck. Could be many factors in it.

Or maybe its the box. I just posted about setting upstage in a simmilar tread.... I think you should start with that first before you do anything *other than DEADENER.* After you try what I mentioned and it still seems to lag on midbass, try adding more drivers... You might be able to tie them into your stage amp. This would get you FULL range sound.