PDA

View Full Version : Prefab boxes. disadvantages vs custom?

03-13-2009, 09:52 PM
i know from reading around the netz that Prefabs are frowned upon....learning this after purchasing a couple. one is a Q logic and other is from a local shop. but havnt read why

anyway, i just wanted to know what advantage building my own will do? and why are Prefabs not good?
their thick MDF, pretty solid build and look nice. i like the Q logic box that it has slotted port and sealed option. its the optimal size for my sub and no air leaks.
maybe i can mod the q logic? but do what to it? seems better built than what i can do. i could put some fiberglass in it i guess or polyfill.

If i built my own, which would be same size internally, what difference should i notice?
what kind of wood is best?...i have some 3/4" inch thick "Birch" wood in my garage.

i noticed some high end home theater speakers are made of other wood than MDF, which is really best?

oldschoolboomer
03-13-2009, 10:01 PM
a prefab could be great. if it is well built and has the volume and tuning you need. Typically this is not the case.

bonesninja
03-13-2009, 10:05 PM
use Trupan lite if you can get ahold it.....but Qlogic boxes are not "bad" , they just are not exactly built directly to a particular sub's specs.

SSS 18734
03-13-2009, 10:12 PM
There's nothing wrong with a decent prefab, per say. It's just that they're built to appeal to a wide variety of subs (usually low-end ones), and not for your sub in particular.

They're typically lacking in port area and airspace. But if the volume, port area, and tuning fits the bill, or you just don't want to mess with it, go for it.

03-14-2009, 01:04 PM
ok, i see.
Theres a local audio shop here that has alot of boxes....not sure who makes them, no brand name. but their 3/4 MDF and carpeted. I could probably have my sub first, look at what size it requires and then get the box of that size and would work just as well?

I read a thread someone mentioned the subwoofer cutout in prefabs are typically on the larger side to accomodate any sub cause i guess not all 12 inch subs have the exact same size hole requirement and wouldnt be as air tight.

that must be why my Qlogic box has an inner seal ring....but how can i gurantee 100% air tight enclosure without resorting to silicon glue? I usually test by pushing the speaker and feel how firm it is and listen for air but i'm sure theres a better way.

also walmart has some partial DIY sub boxes. their precut but you put them together...not sure about that but their cheaper.