PDA

View Full Version : Few Seleniums+ a LOT of power...equals surprisingly..WOW.

adas
03-10-2009, 02:01 AM
To a lot of you guys that are more into sq, obviously the FL "culture" of loud-a$$ PA vocals isn't for you.

Everyone i've encountered always puts about 20 different sized PA speakers in their truck/impala/donk around here, and then puts like 200w to all of them. and they sound like ****!:idea:

So I took the less is more approach...kind of :D
i'm tired of wearing the "I'm louder then you" shirts, and being the only one of my friends I've built setups for not at a 148db+
That ***** obviously isn't going to work. I love the 8" setups I have in my bimmer, and clean audio- it's just not enough.

SO, long story short, I'm turning my dd explorer sport trac into one loud ****** :D

First step, did some experimenting with selenium 6's and a pair of ST350 supertweets. Not the first time using pro audio seleniums.... but always impressed with them compared to dayton/eminence/B&C
Anyone ever put 500w RMS a channel to 2 selenium 6's? LOL :veryhapp:

4 mids, 2 on each channel giving each pair about 4-500w rms, with 1 ST350 selenium tweeter daisy'ed on. STUPID loud for 4 speakers, and VERY clear....and will play consistantly at that volume without smelling.

Moral of the story......if going with LOUD vocal/mid/high setups, spend 1/2 as much on amount of speakers, and 2x as much on the power to them.

I've never had lights dimm off of a mid amp until now though, not going to lie. 1000w rms is a lot of power to put on vocals haha. And honestly, going to go with 4 more 6's with an identical amp and tweets...to keep up with the 2 DD 3518's coming soon. Not going to be ready for SBN, but oh well my Bimmer will be there.

Kind of a rant/FYI.....just excited. Kind of want to take a video of how clear/ far away it is.

KyleBechtold
03-10-2009, 02:04 AM
meh

James Bang
03-10-2009, 02:05 AM
what is it about florida....?

adas
03-10-2009, 02:06 AM
meh:escape:

what is it about florida....?We're the new texas :fyi:

KyleBechtold
03-10-2009, 02:09 AM
not a fan of the harsh tweeters etc etc.. the midbass is so weird in those speakers aswell.. hard to explain..
I will try to use a word though... um... ****

Cravingbass123
03-10-2009, 02:11 AM
what is it about florida....?

its getting crazy

my local shop here just has been getting pallets of earthquake screamers and **** once a week, selling like hotcakes, to mostly bradenton'ers

mostly for exterior under the grill type hoodrat ****

its funny though, hearing lollipop from my friends truck when he's 2 minutes driving distance from the shop

KyleBechtold
We're the new texas :fyi:

thats becoming true.. I see more and more donks.. They look so stupid.. buicks and **** sitting on 26+ rims jacked up.. i never understood that whole concept..

adas
not a fan of the harsh tweeters etc etc.. the midbass is so weird in those speakers aswell.. hard to explain..I know what you mean...it's a sound not for everyone. harshness can be toned down with an eq quite a bit....the midbass, well, anything <100hz I agree it's like...a strange not smooth but not distorted sound...I'm a giant fan of clarity. If it's not clear, I don't like it. If it's distorted, I won't listen to it. That why I'm impressed with just a few of these speakers if you really throw ***** tons of power at them how clear they are compared to the other way around.

The best is the M&M caprice around here on the 24's...I laugh everytime I see it.

DownSouth954
03-10-2009, 02:13 AM
To a lot of you guys that are more into sq, obviously the FL "culture" of loud-a$$ PA vocals isn't for you.

Yeah I've noticed this recently at various car shows down here. Don't forget marine speakers in the grills :laugh:

KyleBechtold
the only thing i would ever use those for is if i needed like loud speakers for a big area on the cheap..

bigbangtheory
Everyone i've encountered always puts about 20 different sized PA speakers in their truck/impala/donk around here, and then puts like 200w to all of them. and they sound like ****!:idea:

So I took the less is more approach...kind of :D
i'm tired of wearing the "I'm louder then you" shirts, and being the only one of my friends I've built setups for not at a 148db+
That ***** obviously isn't going to work. I love the 8" setups I have in my bimmer, and clean audio- it's just not enough.

SO, long story short, I'm turning my dd explorer sport trac into one loud ****** :D

First step, did some experimenting with selenium 6's and a pair of ST350 supertweets. Not the first time using pro audio seleniums.... but always impressed with them compared to dayton/eminence/B&C
Anyone ever put 500w RMS a channel to 2 selenium 6's? LOL :veryhapp:

4 mids, 2 on each channel giving each pair about 4-500w rms, with 1 ST350 selenium tweeter daisy'ed on. STUPID loud for 4 speakers, and VERY clear....and will play consistantly at that volume without smelling.

Moral of the story......if going with LOUD vocal/mid/high setups, spend 1/2 as much on amount of speakers, and 2x as much on the power to them.

I've never had lights dimm off of a mid amp until now though, not going to lie. 1000w rms is a lot of power to put on vocals haha. And honestly, going to go with 4 more 6's with an identical amp and tweets...to keep up with the 2 DD 3518's coming soon. Not going to be ready for SBN, but oh well my Bimmer will be there.

Kind of a rant/FYI.....just excited. Kind of want to take a video of how clear/ far away it is.

Not a big SQ'er, kinda in the middle and still would never do that too my ride. :crap:

James Bang
03-10-2009, 02:15 AM
oh the huge manatee

James Bang
03-10-2009, 02:17 AM
think of the dumbest **** for audio and market it in Florida = $$$$$$. screamers... the **** has a picture of a guy plugging his ears. WTF. That's like the company saying it'll sound like ****. Maybe that's sought after.

adas
03-10-2009, 02:20 AM
think of the dumbest **** for audio and market it in Florida = $$$$$$. screamers... the **** has a picture of a guy plugging his ears. WTF. That's like the company saying it'll sound like ****. Maybe that's sought after.haha...brings back memories of mom screamin at you :fyi:

Well, as with bass....if somethings loud enough, you cover you ears....doesn't mean it sounds like *****:confused:

Cravingbass123
03-10-2009, 02:21 AM
think of the dumbest **** for audio and market it in Florida = $$$$$$. screamers... the **** has a picture of a guy plugging his ears. WTF. That's like the company saying it'll sound like ****. Maybe that's sought after.

HAHAHA so true

selenium and earthquake HLCD's sound pretty good from far away IMO

adas
03-10-2009, 02:43 AM
HAHAHA so true

selenium and earthquake HLCD's sound pretty good from far away IMOi actually have a set of the screamers here from my buddys car...and they do sound like ****. anything over 1/2 volume, they just have a harsh not plesent sound. Hence why we took the biches out:crap:

KyleBechtold
03-10-2009, 03:07 AM
HAHAHA so true

selenium and earthquake HLCD's sound pretty good from far away IMO

thats what they were intended for.. its like sticking your head in the port of your enclosure.. it doesn't sound good in there.. but back up and it does..

Cravingbass123
03-10-2009, 03:10 AM
i actually have a set of the screamers here from my buddys car...and they do sound like ****. anything over 1/2 volume, they just have a harsh not plesent sound. Hence why we took the biches out:crap:

u know chris speary?

his two horns sound great

so do my friend richys, he has 500 going to a pair of seleniums, one aimedd out forward and one aimed almost straight at the ground deflecting.

i might get some hoodrat stuff too.

EuphoricBass247
03-10-2009, 03:44 AM
has anyone ever heard or owned the eminence alpha series ?? they seem fairly simular to the seleniums.Wondering how the two compare

adas
03-10-2009, 10:10 AM
u know chris speary?

his two horns sound great

so do my friend richys, he has 500 going to a pair of seleniums, one aimedd out forward and one aimed almost straight at the ground deflecting.

i might get some hoodrat stuff too.he's got em outside? Ehh....I'm not down to that level yet lol. not sure, whats chris drive?

has anyone ever heard or owned the eminence alpha series ?? they seem fairly simular to the seleniums.Wondering how the two compareI had a pair of the 6's.....i really don't like the sound. Takes a lot of eq'ing for them to sound decent to me, and they have like 0 midbass. I do really like a couple of the eminence horn drivers, especially the 2002s's :veryhapp:

JL Audio
03-10-2009, 10:12 AM
I had 48 selenium ST350 supertweeters just 2 months ago.

adas
03-10-2009, 10:14 AM
I had 48 selenium ST350 supertweeters just 2 months ago.

Yeah I remeber you selling them :)

How much power were you planning to run to them?
They're surprisingly very clear for how big they are.

JL Audio
03-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Yeah I remeber you selling them :)

How much power were you planning to run to them?
They're surprisingly very clear for how big they are.

was going to run a 100.2 per 8 but didn't have funds for the amps at the time. Decided to switch to PA nx-5 bullets instead, seleniums have slightly better dispersion :p: but eh.. Wouldn't have gotten my astro if I didn't sale them either.. so I consider it a fair trade of selling them to afford the van.

Rashaddd
03-10-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm planning on putting a pair of 350's in my car soon. Worth double the price from the 200's to the 350's? Can't decide

JL Audio
03-10-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm planning on putting a pair of 350's in my car soon. Worth double the price from the 200's to the 350's? Can't decide

Yes :fyi:, world of different imo. Imagine how much I spent on 48 of them though lol..

ugh :crap:

Rashaddd
03-10-2009, 11:06 AM
word then 350's it is

EuphoricBass247
03-10-2009, 08:21 PM
hmm makes me want to try these seleniums out

adas
03-10-2009, 10:54 PM
they're lots of fun...best part is, bang for buck. :D

Cravingbass123
03-10-2009, 10:59 PM
he's got em outside? Ehh....I'm not down to that level yet lol. not sure, whats chris drive?

yeah outside lol, he wanted to be hoodrat and i tryed to stop em, but he wanted to 1-up chris.

Chris has a new model white lifted dodge ram sitting on XD's

we should throw a bunch of 6's in my jeep lol